Places to eat in Devon

Most Viewed Restaurants in Devon

• ChrisnJan's Profile Photo

The Cromwell Arms: Nice Food

by ChrisnJan Updated Apr 4, 2011

A nice pub with friendly staff and some very good real ales, it has a very spacious bar with oak beamed ceilings. Outside there is a patio area which is well shaded by a wisteria bush and a small lawned garden. We did not go into the restaurant as we had George with us but we did have a very nice meal in the bar.

The food here is very reasonably priced and I would be very happy to eat here again.

• PookieRabbit's Profile Photo

The Red Barn: Have a pint with a sea view in Woolacombe

by PookieRabbit Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Red Barn sits on a rise in Woolacombe overlooking the beach. Inside its surf "themed" with boards hung from the roof and videos showing. Despite this it still seems "pubby" and attracts a mixed crowd not just surfers. Nice place to end the day.

The Red Barn

Al Beb: North African Spice

by freya_heaven Updated Apr 4, 2011

Al Beb has only been open a couple of years, it is a North African restaurant with 2 levels, the first is a comfy coffee house area & the lower level is the reataurant. It even has a harem, which is up to 12 people & you all sit on the floor on sumptuous cushions with table in the middle.

They have a wonderful arabian decor, and of course to conjure up the atmosphere with Arabic music. On weekends they have a belly dancer who is very good.

There is also a souk are where you can buy Arabian goodies.

Favorite Dish: I have to admit I find the veggie main courses here far too spicy, but my husband loved them. I have been here with a meat eater friend & she loved her meal. So it must be just me!

Their starters are nealy all veggie, so I usually order another starter (but larger!) for my main course.

Al Beb
    • Theater Travel
    • Architecture

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Union Inn: An English 'Hot Dog'

by Bwana_Brown Updated May 31, 2008

Moretonhampstead is a small village located inside the eastern edge of Dartmoor National Park, in more of a forested area rather than the open moorlands of the Park. As we crossed Dartmoor from west-to-east on our final drive of the trip, heading for the London area to fly out the next morning, we had planned to stop at one of a few pubs along the highway that cuts directly through it's centre. This was around Tuesday lunch time, but I had not realized that with Christmas and Boxing Day both falling on the weekend, Monday and Tuesday had both been taken as holidays in lieu. As a result, the National Park was crawling with people as they properly finished off their holidays on a fine sunny afternoon . The roads were lined with cars beside every pub, so we just kept on going until we reached Moretonhampstead.

It seemed absolutely placid, hardly a soul about as we parked on the side of one of the main streets just after 1 PM. As we were getting out of the car, the gentleman with the red top in the photo walked past and I asked him if he could give us some advice on a pub for lunch. As it turned out, he worked at the local tourism agency, and he basically told us to simply follow him since he was headed to the Union Inn for a meal of his own!

Favorite Dish: The Union Inn has that old pub feel to it, with only a few obviously local patrons and a warm fire glowing. A chalkboard on the wall listed their menu items of the day, so that was quickly decided: Sue ordered a bowl of Cauliflower and melted Cheese with a bun (4 GBP) while I got one final curry fix in with a Chicken Tikka Masala, Rice and Poppadums (5 GBP). A glass of white wine and a pint of Poachers Bitter went very well with our delicious meal, much appreciated after our long drive across the moors! As I was going up to the bar to pay our bill (15 GBP or US$26), I asked our friend if I could take a photo of the fireplace where he was sitting and he said to go right ahead. He did ask me to mention to my friends in Canada that I had been treated to a 'hot dog' in an English pub and we all had a good laugh at that!

While I was on a roll with him, I checked to make sure that our planned direct overland route to Exeter via the secondary highways was the best choice from here, and he concurred.

Our First English 'Hot Dog' Bar View from our Corner Seating Union Inn street View
    • National/State Park

• travelinxs's Profile Photo

MSR Dragonfly: Cycle Touring - Camping Stove

by travelinxs Updated Apr 10, 2008

I wanted a multi fuel stove, sometimes refered to as a duel fuel stove, as I can not rely on finding gas cannisters in some areas Id planned to travel through. The Dragonfly will burn most fuels and unlike some similar stoves has a valve to alter the strength of flame allowing the simmering of food and liquids. The other contender, the Primus Omni stove, had so many bad reviews scattered around the internet it put me off.

• Cycling

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Honey Moon Chinese & Thai Restaurant: Slim Pickings

by Bwana_Brown Updated Nov 5, 2007

With our B&B being a few miles outside of Barnstaple itself, it was dark when we drove into town at about 6 PM, hoping to find a nice restaurant. Our B&B host had given us a few pointers on where to go and the parking situation, so we soon arrived in the heart of the old down-town area of Barnstaple and parked on a dead-end street in back of High Street. It was a chilly and damp Monday evening, with our footsteps echoing as we walked along the almost deserted streets. It was strange, with the place quite lit-up by various overhead Christmas decorations along the streets, yet virtually nobody to be seen. After taking a look at the Fortesque Hotel, we decided to give it a miss even though just about everything else seemed closed. Finally, after walking down a narrow alley to The Strand, we came upon the Honey Moon Chinese/Thai restaurant and figured, it looks like this or nothing!

Favorite Dish: We were not all that hungry, so decided to share a plate of Satay Chicken on the Stick (4 GBP) and a Thai-Style Chicken in Yellow Curry with Coconut milk and Potatoes (7 GBP). We each had a glass of their house wine to go with the meal, which was served up quite quickly considering that we were among their first customers of the evening. As it turned out, the Satay was a bit tough and the Curry was not that inspiring either. The total meal cost with drinks and a tip came to 23 GBP (US$40). Maybe the dead, damp and chilly evening had beaten us down, but we finished up by about 7:30 PM and immediately drove back to our B&B. It had not been one of our better evenings out and it was a relief to go to bed!

Street View of the Honey Moon

• The Crown, West Deane N Devon: Worth the wait

by judelowery Written May 30, 2007

Cosy , small traditional pub. Well kept large rear garden. Very friendly staff. Real ale(in Camra guide)
    Home cooked dishes, so a little wait but not a hardship in this pub! Non smoking too.
    Booking rec. during school hols. Very child friendly.

Favorite Dish: I had chicken in bacon in creamy sauce. My partner had the pork. Mains came with proper chips or dauphinoise potatoes. Really good!

• iris2002's Profile Photo

"The Bistro": Don't miss the Tiger Prawn starter

by iris2002 Written Nov 1, 2006

excellent restaurant/bar/cafe in Totnes

Open Mon - Sat 09.30 - 23.00 (Sun 10.30 - 22.30)

>> WATERSIDE BISTRO

Favorite Dish: Deep fried Tiger Prawns with chilly dip on a mixed salad

Carrott-Thyme soup with fresh baguette

Waterside Bistro Totnes - Devon
    • Luxury Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• Curryfan's Profile Photo

Peter Tavy Inn: Terrific food and great atmosphere in a rural pub

by Curryfan Updated Aug 4, 2006

Peter Tavy is the name of the village, not the pub owner (as I found out). The building dates from the 15th Century and the food and drink offerings include many real ales and Devon cheeses, along with lamb and fish dishes. A busy spot, despite being a distance from the nearest town (Tavistock) so reservations are recommended in the evening. Despite being a large building, the interior layout is cosy, with several smaller rooms.

Favorite Dish: I've used the Peter Tavy Inn on various occasions as a place to take friends on my last night in England prior to returning to Canada. The food is always superb, the ales full of character and the staff friendly. There's usually a vegetarian dish or two on the menu for non-carnivores.

Peter Tavy Inn
    • Architecture

Old worldly place: The Pharmacy cafe

by LouiseTopp Updated Aug 30, 2005

This lovely building used to be a pharmacy in the 19th century, it still has the name of the owners in the doorway on a mosiac floor once laid by Italian designers. Inside the original fittings are still there along with all the wooden panals. On display are the little bottles of chemicles which were once used to treat ailments etc, you can still see the small draws where they once went.

Here you can buy pastries & cakes which are on display. It's a pleasant atmosphere & you can also read about the history of the building while waiting for your cup of tea.

Favorite Dish: Here they do chocolate cake, Trifal and other yummies for £3.25. You can buy bread here.

The High Street

The Beachcomber: Great varied menu

by LouiseTopp Updated Aug 30, 2005

Along the seafront about 100 yards from Teignmouth Pier, is the Beach Comber resturant. The cafe is near Teignmouth's war memorial & is open from 10am-8pm seven days a week during the summer, & is great for familes & single people . The menu is varied with special offers, which you can find on a big blackboard on the wall inside the resturant. There's outside seating as well as in with great views across the water & the flower beds nearbye. All the tables have green shades which flap like crazy in the wind. There's toilets inside & high chairs for younger children.

On the tables are olive oil, salt & Vinegar & sugar. In the morning you can order at the bar, but during the afternoon there's a waitressing service. There's a no smoking area & there's fans in the celing, ther's also fishing nets & ships wheels on display on the walls. Cakes etc are also on display in the cabinet, which includes homemade cheese scones. There's also the all day breakfast option, & their jackets potatoes at £3.95 are yummy.

The window overlooks the seafront where you can watch fishing boars in the distance, or if it's regatta week (August) you can watch the rowers practising up & down the water. Sometimes the seagulls help themselves to what's left on the tables outside. Ther's a sign saying that staff arn't responsible for seagulls pinching food; I'll just sit there with me gun!

Favorite Dish: Tea is £1.20p per pot & dinners can be from £4-8.95. Roast dinner is good here, but they only do it in the morning as it quickly sells out. Banoffee pie is loveley & so are the cream Tea's which is about £3.25. You get a pot of tea, Two warm scones, a pot of jam & cream & a sachet of honey.

Theirs also housewines at variouse prices

Sunset on the water
    • Trains

• antiquated_tory's Profile Photo

The Beer Engine: Great village brewpub

by antiquated_tory Written Mar 3, 2005

The place is a classic country pub, complete with large outdoor seating area for good weather.
    I only know the food's reputation second-hand from my wife's family but they say it's very good.
    I can however attest to the quality of the beer, which they brew themselves, with a variety of punnish names based on the brewery's historical connection to the railway. It is really full-on tasty stuff and the cask system is perfectly maintained.
    If you find yourself in Exeter, it's worth going here and picking up some cheese from Quicke's Farm a bit further down the A road towards Crediton.

Favorite Dish: Piston Bitter and Rail Ale

• Trains

• LouiseTopp's Profile Photo

More than just a place to eat: Naughty but nice

by LouiseTopp Written Sep 8, 2004

This is another cafe in Teignmouth. This has also good wheelchair access & has salt pastry displays on the walls. There's lots of special offers on the menu, the coffee is freshly ground with a choice of home made cakes & scones to try.

• Business Travel

Cafe India: Indian Delights

by freya_heaven Written Jul 17, 2004

This restaurant has only been open two months, in the south Devon town of Totnes.

Very friendly staff, pleasant music, nicely decorated. It was packed out, & apparently has been since its opening. Which is a recommendation in itself.

Have to admit this is the first Indian I have ever been to & I was very impressed, Looking forward to returning.

Favorite Dish: Vegetarian Korma, Pashwan Nan & Banana Fritter.

Korma Curry!

The Dolphin Inn: Village Fayre

by freya_heaven Written Jul 12, 2004

Friendly atmosphere, Dacor inside is very traditional, outside there is a terrace with wonderful views over the River Yealm. Traditional real ales & cider are served here, we have only eaten once here & it was a very tasty meal. I had garlic mushrooms in yorkshire pudding,

Strange mix but Yummy!

17 Reviews - 33 Photos
Dartmoor National Park Hotels
69 Reviews - 177 Photos

Instant Answers: Devon

Comments

Devon Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Devon restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Devon sightseeing.
Map of Devon