Shaldon Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Shaldon

• EasyMalc's Profile Photo

Shaldon Zoo

by EasyMalc Written Jul 30, 2014

Anyone who knows my opinion on zoos will be wondering why I’m writing about this one at Shaldon, especially as I haven’t been anywhere near a zoo for years.
    There are two reasons why I am. First and foremost I felt that it was about time I left my prejudices behind and see if anything’s changed as far as these places are concerned, and secondly if any family comes to Shaldon, the zoo is bound to be the one place the kids will want to see.
    The zoo is the home of the Shaldon Wildlife Trust whose aim is to try and preserve what remains of some of the most endangered animals in the world, and it has to be said that none of the creatures in captivity here have been taken from the wild.
    So what animals are here? Well there’s no large ones as the bulk of them are primates and mammals, such as monkeys, marmosets and meerkats. This is also another reason why I came here because I could watch these creatures all day long.
    So far so good you would think then. Well no actually, not for me at least, and the reason is that these animals are mainly housed in cages which appear nowhere big enough. Of course I’m no expert on these things and the team that work here would no doubt point out that their conservation programme has been a huge success, so presumably these animals are content with their environment, but if they’ve never lived in the wild how would they know?
    There were aspects I really enjoyed especially the meerkats so it did have some good points as well, but when all’s said and done I felt more or less the same when I came out as before I went in. Kids will always love seeing the animals (don’t we all?), and the conservation programme is to be applauded, but in my view the creatures habitat is far too confined.
    In the defence of the organisation it costs a fortune to look after the animals and they’re a dedicated bunch of people who love what they do and I’m sure the welfare of the animals is paramount. I wish them every success in their breeding and conservation programme but I doubt very much whether I‘ll be making a return visit.

Meerkats Ring-Tailed Lemur Caged Capuchin

• EasyMalc's Profile Photo

The Ness

by EasyMalc Written Apr 20, 2014

At the mouth of the River Teign, Shaldon is protected from the sea by a red sandstone headland called The Ness.
    It’s an easy walk from the village, but for the motorist there’s a large car park which has a seasonal tourist information office.
    One good reason for coming to The Ness is to take in the views across the estuary to Teignmouth and beyond, but don’t miss the shingle beach on the seaward side of the cliff which is accessed through an original smugglers tunnel.
    Nearby is the popular Shaldon Zoo, and although I’m not a big fan of animals in captivity, I dropped in to see why the Shaldon Wildlife Trust emphasises its conservation credentials. I’ll be giving my views in a separate tip later.
    There are also a couple of notable food and drink establishments nearby that are worth checking out - The Ness Inn and The Ode Café and I’ll be giving my views on these later as well.

Smugglers Tunnel to the Beach

Finally The Pubs! #2 London Inn

by johngayton Written Nov 18, 2013

I only popped in for a quick pint one and found this a very welcoming pub. Perhaps a little overly-modernised for my personal tastes but the beer was spot-on with a friendly greeting from the landlady and chatty regulars.

I had a pint of one the Otter Brewery's seasonal specials which wasn't overpriced and enjoyed it sitting out front overlooking the village green. Food looked good and reasonably priced too.

Finally The Pubs! #1 The Ferry Boat Inn

by johngayton Written Nov 18, 2013

Having done my energetic, educational and creative (well I took some pics) stuff it was time for a well-deserved beer.

The Ferry Boat is without doubt the best located pub in the village with its terraced beer garden jutting out onto the beach, overlooking the estuary. The pub itself is cosily-characterful but on a sunny October afternoon the beer garden was definitely the place to be.

Perfectly good pint of local beer, friendly staff and not over-expensive.

I reckon this would be a cracking pub in the evenings, once the day-trippers have gone. It also features live music a couple of times a week.

A Zoo With A Difference

by johngayton Written Nov 18, 2013

This isn't my sortof thing and so I haven't visited it. It is however an interesting thing to do if that's what you enjoy.

The little "zoo", attractively-sited in the woodlands of Shaldon's Ness, is more of a "wildlife sanctuary" rather than an actual zoological garden. It's run by the Shaldon Wildlife Trust whose mission is, "To be a proactive contributor to the preservation of the wildlife of the planet"

The trust is mainly concerned with conservation of endangered species and the animals here are part of various breeding programs with a long-term view of re-establishing them in their native habitats.

By opening the "zoo" to the public the trust raises awareness of the plights of the animals and of course the income goes towards the overall running costs of the charity's work.

The website below has all the information regarding opening times, prices and what to expect.

• Eco-Tourism

Only At Low Tide! The Templer Way

by johngayton Written Nov 11, 2013

Looking down the estuary you can see the tors of the wilds of Dartmoor forming the horizon. There is a riverside walk from Shaldon, called the Templer Way, which follows the route of the granite quarried from Haytor to the docks at Teignmouth by the Templer family from 1820 until the mid 1850's.

The walking route follows the southern bank of the River Teign to Newton Abbot, about seven miles, with a strategic mid-way refreshment halt at Combe Cellars if you get your timing right to catch the pub there.

However the riverside walk can only be accessed for about two hours each side of low tide, which I totally missed. You can use an alternative inland path but that is a far longer route.

For details download the PDF leaflet from the link below:

Shaldon's Beaches

by johngayton Written Nov 11, 2013

If you're not a fan of the "Kiss-me-quick"-style seaside resorts of nearby Torbay and want a smaller-scale, more sedate, beach experience then Shaldon's pair of gently-sloping sandy shores should suit perfectly.

The main beach fronts onto the estuary and is ideal for doing boaty, things whilst the soft, slightly claggy, red sand makes excellent sandcastles. During the summer this beach is off-limits to dogs but in the winter months responsible dog-owners are more than welcome. The local shops, cafes and pubs are immediately behind the seawall here with a couple of the pubs terraces extending out to meet the river at high tide.

This is also where the Teignmouth ferry arrives and departs.

The other beach is in the secluded Ness Cove, through the enigmatic "Smugglers Tunnel". This is a dog-friendly beach with a mix of fine red sand and shingle. This is especially popular for swimming and the bathing area is marked by yellow buoys inside which boats aren't permitted.

Note that neither of the beaches are lifeguard patrolled and that users of the Ness Beach should be aware of the dangers of falling rocks.

• Sailing and Boating

Instant Answers: Shaldon

Comments

Shaldon Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Shaldon things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Shaldon sightseeing.