Torquay Restaurants

• Restaurants
    by EasyMalc
  • Food, Hole in the Wall puib, Torquay, UK.
    Food, Hole in the Wall puib, Torquay,...
    by planxty
  • Food, Hole in the Wall puib, Torquay, UK.
    Food, Hole in the Wall puib, Torquay,...
    by planxty

Most Recent Restaurants in Torquay

• EasyMalc's Profile Photo

The Harvester: A Safe Bet

by EasyMalc Updated Mar 28, 2014

The Harvester chain of restaurants is a well known brand in the UK and offers a family friendly environment.
    Main courses are predominantly grills with an unlimited salad bar to accompany your meal and the whole concept seems to be extremely popular.
    I’ve eaten in here a few times and haven’t been disappointed. They must be doing something right because there are now over 200 restaurants throughout the country.
    The Harvester in Torquay is situated in an attractive position on Beacon Quay overlooking the outer harbour and the rooftop terrace is a great place to enjoy a drink or bite to eat in the summer months.
    The food and prices are agreeable and if you want a safe bet then The Harvester should more than fit the bill.

• cleocat's Profile Photo

Al Porto Cafe: Italian Food

by cleocat Written Oct 9, 2013

The food was ok. Gary and the boys enjoyed it, but I wasn't too impressed. It was a bank holiday and all the restaurants were overflowing. Al Porto wasn't too busy which might have been a sign. The service was also a bit slack.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Hole in the Wall pub: Very fine pub food

by planxty Written Aug 4, 2013
    Hole in the Wall puib / restaurant, Torquay, UK.

I have mentioned many times on Virtual Tourist about the great value of local knowledge when choosing a place to eat and this applies whether I am in Durham or Dumaguete, Bangkok or Bangor. It was therefore with high expectations that I went to the Hole in the Wall in Torquay during a recent VT meet brilliantly organised by Malcolm aka EASYMALC as he had recommended it highly. Malcolm is a Torquay resident and should know the place best. The fact that it was also warmly endorsed by John Gayton, well-respected VT contributor, good friend and coincidentally a professional chef, merely added to the sense of anticipation.

Approaching the premises it really did look old, living up to it's claim to be the oldest pub in Torquay and purportedly dating from c.1540. It is situated in a small pedestrian alley off Torwood Street. Unfortunately, this great age and position would, I suggest, make it difficult if not impossible for mobility impaired travellers. Once inside, it was as "olde worlde" as the exterior suggested but it was genuinely so, not the faux exposed beams etc. you get in so many places. It was a proper gem of an old English pub. We started by purchasing a round of drinks from the excellently stocked bar. I am a cider drinker myself but I noticed there was an excellent selection of beers on offer and I was surprised to see a Shepherd Neame brew from Kent this far West. Should you want to go local for your brew, there were plenty of West Country options as well.

Suitably equipped, we were shown to our table in the raised dining area by a friendly member of staff. The service throughout was very good despite it being a Friday night in high season and therefore fairly busy. Malcolm had booked a table and I would recommend this course of action especially on summer weekends. As a party of five I suspect we could have had a table with a bit of a wait but better safe than sorry and the establishment is obviously, and rightly, popular.

Should you like a little entertainment with your meal then go on a Tuesday, Thursday or Sunday when they have live music on here.

I was not overly hungry and so skipped a starter and perused the menu for a main course. Now I realise that I should have gone for the fish, which is sourced from nearby Brixham and I am sure it would have been excellent. I generally try to eat what the local speciality is, fish at the seaside, venison in Scotland etc. The menu here is unashamedly "pub grub" and there is nothing wrong with that. About the most "exotic" thing on the menu appeared to be chef's home made chicken curry, offered either medium or hot. Soup, melon and pate feature as starters and you can follow with burgers, steaks, chicken, pie of the day or any number of pub standards. There are also daily changing specials which you can see on the blackboards.

These were all very tempting but as so often my downfall (if it can be called that) was the fact that they had duck on the menu. I absolutely adore duck and if I see it on a bill of fayre it would take something else fairly exciting there to tempt me away. In this case it was oven roasted duck breast offered with a plum and cherry brandy sauce.That was the decision made then.

The mains were served in an amount of time that was not excessive but indicated that the meals had been freshly prepared. What I am about to say is in no way a complaint. I like all my meat undercooked, preferring my steak blue for example. I like my duck fairly pink and the breast was just a touch over for my liking. I should stress that it was not over-cooked, it was perfectly tender and indeed very succulent and I had not specified to the waitress how I wanted it cooked so no blame attaches to chef. I have no doubt (s)he could have done it under for me had I requested it, I just ommitted to do so. The sauce was beautifully balanced and complemented the meat perfectly. We were served chefs choice of "communal" vegetables which were excellently done. It is so common to eat vegetables that have been boiled into submission but these were delightful, the potatoes deserving special mention. Yes, I know, it is the humble potato but so often cooks get them wrong.

As I mentioned, I was not overly hungry and wanted to leave a little room for another pint or two and so I skipped dessert, although I noticed there was a decent selection.

Being VT, numerous photos were taken and no doubt my dining companions will be posting their own tips in due course but in the "post-mortem" everyone was agreed that it had been a fine meal. Good food in a delightful old pub with excellent company at the end of a gloriously sunny day on the South Devon coast, what more could a man want?

Highly recommended.

Favorite Dish: I have only eaten there once but the duck dish with chefs vegetables as described was excellent.

• Wine Tasting

• cleocat's Profile Photo

The Harvester: Family Friendly

by cleocat Written Apr 22, 2013

View from Havester

Torquay's Harvester has a great view of the bay. I'm sure during summer the roof terrace will be excellent for a drink. Harvester is much like South Africa's Spur restaurants with hamburgers, steak, salad and chips/ fries.

A good meal, nothing outstanding but nice. Very popular, we had to go on a waiting list.

Favorite Dish: The ribs are nice and they can have a bigger variety of salads, but all and all good.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Simla Spice: Currying Flavour!!

King Prawn Tawa

You always know whether the food at an Indian restaurant is going to be that bit above the norm when the puppadoms arrive. If these come accompanied by a selection of unusual dips as well as the normal mango chutney, lime pickle, raita combo then a little bit of thought and effort has been put into what is, effectively, a very cheap starter.

Here at Simla Spice the puppadoms came with the standard mango chutney and lime pickle and then with three other various, obviously home-made, dips which had me looking forward to the main event.

On a quiet mid-week November evening there were only two other tables occupied in what is quite a large restaurant. OK it is a trendily furnished, neon-lit, cavern of a room but the chatty and attentive waiters reduced it to an intimacy that a place a tenth of its size would have and so despite eating solo I was immediately comfortable.

Favorite Dish: The main event I ordered was the King Prawn "Tawa", one of the house specialities, from a menu propogated with old favourites but spiced with a few dishes unique to Simla. This was described simply (no flowery language) as "cooked with green peppers, our special spice blend, and of a medium heat" - I've paraphrased slightly as I don't have the menu to hand.

That's exactly what it was: a generous portion of succulent big prawns in a rich spicy sauce with chunky bits of green peppers through it. Just enough heat to excite but not kill the palate.

If I remember correctly my bill came to about £18 which included a couple of Kingfishers (tasted imported to my palate) and along with the excellent service that made for a very satisfactory meal and elevated what can be "food for fuel" up to an almost gastro experience.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Yummies: There Are Times When It Just Has To Be Done!!

by johngayton Written Jul 31, 2012

Exactly What It Says On The Frontage!!

Sandwiched between two nightclubs, Attic and Venue, Yummies is obviously not catering for a discerning clientele - well not at 3 am anyway. That said though, I consider myself as pretty discerning and at 11 pm, or so, as I left the Hole in the Wall one evening I had a bad attack of the munchies on the way back to my hotel.

Passing Yummies I initially went in for a kebab but upon noticing the "Special Offer" of 12 for £2 "Hot Wings" that changed my mind - the healthy option!!

Favorite Dish: These were good wings - spicy, stickily succulent and meaty. Service was friendly and because the wings were already under the hot lights very swift. For two quid a perfect late supper - finger lickin' good!!

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Kim Saigon: At Least It Was Cheap!

by johngayton Updated Jul 31, 2012

Bland Soup

Having had a couple of beers at the Hole in the Wall i had a sudden urge for some Singapore Noodles - I get this every so often - and Kim Saigon was on my route back to my hotel. It was a dank, midweek, November evening and the cavernous restaurant was almost empty which didn't do the ambience any favours but service was pleasant and friendly and the menu offered pretty much everything you could expect from the Thai/Vietnamese/Chinese repertoire.

Favorite Dish: I decided I was hungrier than I'd initially thought and so opted for a starter of their Vietnamese Mix Seafood Soup to preceed the noodles. When it arrived it looked the part, just lacked the aromas that I associate with Thai food, and then upon tasting found it very bland. Perfectly edible but lacking bite.

The noodles followed and these too were good looking but ultimately unsatisfying - once again no distinctive flavours and even a good splash of soy failed to bring any excitement to the palate.

But service was good and washed down with a bottle of Tsing Tao (imported) the final bill of about 12 quid was a saving grace but personally I'd rather have paid twice that and gotten something a bit less designed for the English palate.

Tiger Bills: Tasty But Slightly Expensive

Disappointing Seafood Mix

This is part of a small, local, trend-setting chain of places with two outlets in Exeter and one here in Torquay.

The name "Tiger Bills" fits the proverbial bill (of fare) with the menu being composed of two entirely different halves - the Tiger being a comprehensive selection of Thai classics whilst the Bill is based on an equally classic American grill menu. Niether the twain meet tho', in as much as this isn't a "fusion" place, but there is nothing to stop you mixing and matching between the two halves - for instance you could start with "Thod muin plar" and have a New York Strip for your main. The Thai and American Combos also look good and would be great for larger parties in a Greek meze-fashion.

Service is youthful and friendly and the places themselves modernly stylish and bright. On the evening I dropped in there were a couple of parties eating which gave the place a lively atmosphere and indeed this is exactly the sort of place which suits group eating.

Favorite Dish: I must admit to being slightly disappointed by the food on this occasion - I have eaten at one of the Exeter places when it first opened. and had a very enjoyable lunch.

To start I opted for the "Seekrong Moo Yang" - Ribs and Chilli Sauce which were just that - a small portion of dryish ribs with a bought in sweet chilli dip. For main I went for the "Krata Talay" - Seafood stir-fry - this too was a smallish portion of not very exciting seafood - prawns, green-lipped mussels and I think a bit of salmon. It was tasty but not how I would have done it.

Washed down with a glass of something OK-ish on the wine front my bill came to about 25 quid including tip - service was good and so churlish not to. OK but unexciting and not good value.

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Hole In The Wall: Perfect For A Pie And A Pint (or three)

My Pie & Pint

This purports to be "Torquay's Oldest Pub" and it is indeed characterful with its nautically-themed L-shaped bar area and separate dining room. As befits its "Oldest" status there's plenty of exposed beams, wood-panelling, open brickwork and flagstone floors and it certainly has an authentic feel.

Although it is, as are so may these days, very food-orientated it also has a proper pub feel to it and with a friendly local drinking crowd clustered round the bar there's always a good craic.

The menu is very pubby with all the usual culprits represented - Steak & Ale Pie, Fish 'n Chips, Liver and Bacon, Steaks, Pasta & Salads, Local Fish and a couple of vegetarian options. In addition to the written menu there's a daily changing "Specials" blackboard with the "Fish of the Day", "Pie of the Day" and whatever else the chefs have come up with.

Portions are generous and prices very reasonable. Service is friendly and swift and the landlord, David I think his name is, is an amiable character.

Favorite Dish: Me being me, it was straight to the blackboard for the "Pie of the Day" which came recommended by David (?). On the evening I ate this was "Chicken and Ham" which was meaty and succullent. Topped with flaky puff pastry, smothered in gravy and accompanied by buttery mash potatoes and peas this was exactly what a proper pub pie should be. Washed down with a couple of pints of the locally-brewed Bays the bill of about fifteen quid was more than satisfactory.

• Capers Restaurant: Great find, excellent selection of dishes

by Asley Updated Apr 4, 2011

Great dinner out, all four of the party gave 10 out of 10 and that is rare, 1/4 of a mile out of
    Torquay town centre, with plenty of on street parking in Lisburne square, fresh, clean looking
    restaurant with plenty of space between tables, the front of house service is first class by co.owner Tony Rios, when asked of his previous employment, he informed us he had been restaurant Manager of 2 London 5* restaurants and manager of 5 one and two michelin rated eateries, and now prefers a more informal, every day surroundings, the food is based on seafood with token meat dishes and perfectly cooked and presented, starters are around a £5 with main about £15. well worth a visit.

Favorite Dish: Push the boat out and have the lobster 1 and a half pound for 20 quid.

• LouiseTopp's Profile Photo

Off over da place: Eating in torquay

by LouiseTopp Updated Apr 4, 2011

Torquay harbour, or Marseilles?

As a year round holiday objective you will be spoilt for choice should you choose to eat out. Torbay boasts many award winning seafood restaurants that serve fresh, local produce - here you will find everything from nationally highly praised fish & chip restaurants to top class a la carte establishments. You will also find French, Mexican, American, Italian, Greek, Indian & Thai to praise the traditional English restaurants. No visit here would be inclusive however without a common Devon Cream Tea, which can be enjoyed all through the English Riviera in elegant hotels, in tea gardens & in the shopping centres.

Favorite Dish: ‘Below Decks’ is a café in Torquay. It has tables outside facing the harbour. Their cream teas are about £3.75, they also do an all day breakfasts. There’s a menu on the table’s although the tables them selves are a bit wobbly, also there’s special offers on display. You might see an RAF Sea-king rescue plane going over from time to time. While sitting at one of the table’s I noticed that a coach load of sea cadet’s turned up in their wet suits, must have alcohol for blood as the water was pretty nippy.

There’s also a café pub just down the harbour which has blue plastic chairs outside. The café is next to the Shirax pub & cream teas here are £2.95, Orange juice is priced at £1 (although it’s a bit small), tea is 90p, they also do decaffeinated coffee with a choice of brown & white sugar in little long tubular sachet’s.

Next door is a café called Vaughan’s which does all day breakfasts. A small one is £2.45 & a larger one is £3.95. When you order sandwiches you can have a choice of white or brown bread, the down side is that when the wasps come along they can be a pain in the stinger! All café’s along this area have outside seating.

• hk0609's Profile Photo

No7 Fish Bistro: The Best Fish and Seafood in the Bay

by hk0609 Written Nov 13, 2007

Grilled John Dory

It is simply the best restaurant in Devon. If you fancy fresh fish or seafood you couldn’t find better.

When you walk in, you notice plastic tablecloths, paper napkins and a busy-looking bloke in shorts (well, maybe not in the winter) who shows you to the table. That's Paul, the manager and the owners' son.

You sit and soon feel that this place is special (and posher than you thought!). Blackboards around tell you about the seasonal dishes which change daily - whole fish, fillets, crabs, lobsters, scallops, tempura selection… You also get the separate menu with starters and main courses which stay the same all year round.
    Paul makes sure that all your questions are answered before you order and also shows you a tray with fresh fish, so you don't mistake dover and lemon soles or john dory with monkfish.

The wine list consists of whites and reds from all over the world - everyone can find something they like. If you don't like wine, there is a wide range of spirits and soft drinks too.

Every starter comes with a wholemeal roll and the main courses are accompanied by either vegetables or salad and your choice of potatoes (home-made chips, new potatoes or garlic and coriander mash).

There is always a dessert menu for those who like to finish their meals with something sweet. Home-made apple crumble, crème brulée or famous sticky toffee pudding can make your life even more beautiful.

The staff make sure you get everything you need without bothering you every 5 minutes. One person only comes to your table to ask if the food is ok. If you're lucky it might be the Chef (and the owner) himself. Graham Stacey or his son Oliver sometimes come out of the kitchen to check if their guests are happy.

We've been coming to this restaurant for a long time and never been disappointed. I recommend it to every one who likes fish and seafood but don't worry if you have friends who don't. Although non-fish dishes are not on the menu, you can always ask Paul who will give you a choice of meat or pasta meals.

Favorite Dish: My favourite fish is sea bass so when ever it shows up on the boards, I always go for it. Either whole fish or fillet - doesn't matter, can be grilled, pan fried or served with cherry tomatoes and basil.

Tempura special is something I recommend for those who are undecided. You get fillets of cod, salmon and plaice with tiger prawns, all deep fried in this light and crispy batter and accompanied by three dips - yummy! All for less than £16!

Something different to try is also the grilled fillet of red mullet with seared scallops and chorizo sausage. Perfect flavour combination!

For starter we usually have crispy filets of red mullet, half crab (Do It Yourself - with picks and crackers!), shellfish platter or just a simple minty courgette and potato soup.

• Vaults Cellar: Great Food, Great Value, Am I still in Torquay?

by richardiv Written Aug 8, 2006

In Torquay, it seemed you can spend a fortune for a good meal or spend a bit less for a lousy one. This bucked both trends as it was the cheapest and best dinner of our stay.

These guys have some very nice sounding fish but we went for seafood tapas. It was £8.50 and more food than we could finish. But they didn't sacrifice quality though--this was authentic to the last calimari and mussel. The staff knew what they were doing and were very friendly too. Also a good and reasonable wine list.

'Everyone always finds us on their last night,' the waiter lamented. I wish we'd found it earlier so we could go back again. Definitely one to remember.

Favorite Dish: Mixed seafood tapas. Plentiful and delicious.

• Business Travel

• cazz38's Profile Photo

DEVONSHIRE CREAM TEA.

by cazz38 Updated Mar 27, 2005

Weavers Cottage.

A trip to Devon is not complete without having a Devon cream tea,At Weavers cottage they do an exellent cream tea,you have two scones a pot of strawberry jam and a pot of clotted cream and a cup of tea,makes my mouth water thinking about it.Weavers cottage also sell pastrys,cakes,rolls and light lunches.

• Architecture

• cazz38's Profile Photo

THE DRUM INN.

by cazz38 Updated Mar 27, 2005

Outside the drum Inn.

The first thing that strikes you when you go inside the Drum Inn is the gorgeous log fire,it has a really homely feel to it and the staff are really friendly(i have to say that my friend works there)no they really make you feel at home.The food is exellent as well.

• Architecture

Instant Answers: Torquay

Comments

Torquay Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Torquay restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Torquay sightseeing.

Torquay Members Meetings