Bournemouth Restaurants

the place
    the view

Most Recent Restaurants in Bournemouth

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Zoukini's: One of the best!

by ettiewyn Updated May 16, 2012

Zoukini's is a vegetarian restaurant that is located outside of the city centre, in Westbourne. It is quite colourful and the interior is inspired by Asian style.

I went to eat here on mother's day and the usual menu was not available, they just had a special three-course lunch on offer. The first course was an Indian soup, which was very good and not too spicy. The second course was a lentil and nut roast with roast potatoes, roasted vegetables and gravy - it was really good, too. The third course was a pannacotta with vanilla ice-cream which was like heaven!
    All these dishes are usually not available for lunch, but are on the evening menu. They were all vegan - the vegan dishes are marked and are therefore easily identified.

Staff was very friendly and it was just a very nice atmosphere, relaxed, but still stylish and polite. They also have gluten-free and wheat-free dishes available.

It was one of the most expensive vegetarian restaurants where I have eaten so far, but it was really worth it.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Amaretto Restaurant: Old-fashioned Italian

by ettiewyn Written May 12, 2012

While I walked through Bournemouth in search for lunch I stumbled upon Amaretto Restaurant and decided to have lunch here. I was the only customer and that felt a bit weird. The restaurant just felt like one of those traditional Italian restaurants in Germany: Italian kitsch all over the place (empty wine bottles, white goddess statues, green and red colours and the odd false fresco), and old Italian pop songs playing in the background. The interior is also very dark, and I did not find it too inviting. Staff was friendly, though.
    As always I ordered a vegetarian pizza without cheese and this was no problem. The pizza was ok, but I had better ones before. The price was £6,50.

Altogether, it was ok to have lunch here, but nothing to write home about.

Westbeach: Loved it!

by iaint Written Apr 14, 2012
    the place

I had a really enjoyable dinner here. Just walked in at 6.30 on a Saturday night (works in mid-April; don't try it "in season").

Lovely place with a pleasant laid back seaside atmosphere, excellent service and good food.

Scallops to start, in a carrot & white raisin salsa.

Then sea bream with samphire, green beans & new potatoes. At the risk of sounding too Scottish, the tatties were braw. The fish was about 60 seconds overcooked. Trouble is, if you're charging top dollar (see below) you have to get it just right. No excuses.

My bill was £47 before tip. I had a carafe of white wine, the scallops (3) were £10, and the fish £23. Worth it, but only just.

Favorite Dish: The scallops...

• Water Sports

• iaint's Profile Photo

Oishii Oishii Sushi: yummee!

by iaint Written Apr 14, 2012

£6.50 for a delicious bowl of crispy noodles!

And it's a relaxed, spacious, clean & bright place, with seating outside - in a pedestrianised street.

Hit the spot for me!

Just does sushi type stuff and noodles.

Favorite Dish: Only had one, so has to be the crispy noodles.

Chimichanga: Excellent

by iaint Written Apr 13, 2012
    nice, but not busy!

I had a long morning (awake at 5ish and up at 7) of wandering the beach and town, as well as a spell in The Russell-Cotes Gallery & Museum (tip to follow).

After registering at the conference, the hard choices started. A frugal fundraising lunch with ardent Rotarians? A picnic on the beach? The hotel restaurant?

No, I took the adventurous path and went for Mexican.

It was great. Quesadilla (chorizo & cheese filling) with rice. Then a banana burrito with rice and a double espresso.

They have a lunch menu at £7.95 for main course and soft drink, plus starter or dessert for an extra £2. So, a bit of a feast for £12.50.

Service was friendly and efficient, but the place was quiet. The decor is very pleasant. Part of a chain, I’d guess.

Favorite Dish: The quesadillas...

• Water Sports

• jhorsfield30's Profile Photo

Hot Rocks Restaurant: Great views and nice burgers

by jhorsfield30 Written May 22, 2011

Overpriced for what it is, but they have done a little hawaian theming.
    The staff were pleasant when I visited with my family and had a good selection of meats, soups and salads.
    Food was presented within 15 mins and had nice taste.

Favorite Dish: Only had one thing, burger and chips

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Westpoint Bistro & Bar: Beware Of The Dodgy Seafood!

by johngayton Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Tempting Blackboard

I was actually just after something simple and greasy but the blackboard here caught my eye -I liked the sound of the Seafood Ragout and so decided to give the place a visit.

Service was welcoming and the restaurant itself is smart and minimalistically trendy. The little terrace on a sunny June evening overlooking the main drag suited me ideally (cos then I could smoke of course) and so having already decided what to eat it was just a matter of perusing the drinks menu.

I opted for a large glass of the house Pinot Grigot to go with my Ragout which arrived promptly and nicely chilled. The seafood soon followed and it certainly looked the part being a generous portion of mixed fish and shellfish. The saffron potato (singular) though looked as if it had been merely shown the packet rather than actually cooked in it but the meal itself was tasty and the sauce obviously made from a seafood stock.

So far so good. I paid my 20-odd quid bill (a little pricey but not extortionate) and went for a wander, and a couple of of beers, before heading back to my friendly little hotel.

It was in the morning that I had the problem - HA! Stomach cramps woke me up about dawn and before I'd made it to the bathroom I was evacuating from both ends. Now I've got a cast-iron constitution and for me to succumb to food-poisoning is very rare - there have been occasions in the past where I've eaten out in company and everyone but me has had a problem - and so there had to have been something dodgy about my meal. Being a professional cook I know a little bit about these things and thinking about what else I'd eaten (and drank) that day, and taking into account the timing, it had to have been something to do with the seafood - maybe the stock had been kept too long, or left out in the kitchen all day, or maybe the mussels were dead before being cooked but it was definitely something dodgy about the kitchen practises IMO.

Not a place I'll revisit.

• Luxury Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• gordonfong's Profile Photo

Ocean City Restaurant: Real Chinese dim sum in Bournemouth

by gordonfong Updated Apr 4, 2011

There are not many Chinese restaurants in the Dorset area that serve real dim sum. This little gem has grown from strength to strength it seems, providing a wide range of dim sum in a modern environment.

Previously there was really only Oriental Garden and then Chef Hong Kong but their range were a bit limited and the restaurants a bit small. Otherwise you had to go to Southampton, to the Pearl Harbour restaurant.

Note that they only do dim sum from 12pm till 5pm, after which is resorts to the usual Western-centric menu.

Favorite Dish: Pork and prawn dumplings, prawn dumplings, steamed spare ribs, mixed seafood crispy noodles.

Anglo Indian: OK But Uninspired

by johngayton Updated Nov 26, 2010
    Frontage

As Indian restaurants go this one is merely OK. The only time I ate here there was only one other table occupied and the place was a bit soulless.

Decor and the sitar twang-twang music are bit too kitschy for my tastes and the menu is far too familiar, lacking any individual touches.

Staff are friendly enough but on a quiet night seemed more interested in getting finished than looking after their customers.

Favorite Dish: I can't remember exactly what I had - shows how inspiring it was - but it was OK, otherwise I would have remembered.

I do remember it being not particularly cheap though.

Harry Ramsdens: Great Location AND Good Fish 'n Chips

by johngayton Written Nov 26, 2010

Restaurant Frontage

Harry Ramsdens doesn't claim to be the "best" fish and chips in the World but simply the "most famous". It certainly is famous and whilst perhaps not the best of the best this outlet here in Bournemouth is pretty darn good.

This is a huge set-up with a sort of formal dining room upstairs and a traditional takeaway with informal formica-style seating downstairs. The location on the beachfront, within spitting distance of the town pier, couldn't be betterred for either sitting-in or noshing on the hoof.

The company's unique selling point is that every meal is freshly-cooked to order which is actually a little bit of marketing licence in as much as that at busy times everything is batch cooked but none the worse for that. During quiet periods the meals are cooked individually and the staff, when unharried, are pleasant and chatty as you wait.

Favorite Dish: For me it has to be the standard takeaway Cod, Chips and Mushy Peas, with a good splash of vinegar and with a touch of salt this is ideal for wandering along the beachfront with and enjoying the pretty girls.

Not the cheapest, nor the best, but very good nevertheless (and very famous ;)).

• johngayton's Profile Photo

The Goat and Tricycle: Well It Just HAS To Be!

The Eponymous Curry

This amusingly-named pub makes an appearance on my page here under "Things to Do" as it is Bournemouth's best pub for proper beer (usually 11 on tap). It also offers a reasonable-priced, pub food menu with mostly home-made pub classics such as pies, sausage and mash etc. Portions are substantial and there are a range of lighter nibbly things and sandwiches too.

Favorite Dish: But forget about everything else (except of course the beer) the absolute "must" is the house speciality "Goat Curry". This is surprisingly un-goaty and suberbly tender with a nice curry kick to the rich sauce. Served with fluffy basmati rice, a huge naan bread and chutney you best get your drinking done before eating as you'll struggle to find the room for anything else afterwards.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Jenny's: For The Best Singapore Noodles In Town!

Frontage

At first Jenny's, with its 200 or so takeaway dishes, appears to be just another fast-food Chinese but appearances can be deceptive.

This little place does the best Singapore Noodles in town. Good thick noodles stir-fried with beanshoots and veggies, nicely-spiced and with plenty of prawns and a few slivers of whatever other meats they have plenty of.

Service is fast and friendly and even the regular (as opposed to the large) portions are more than substantial enough for an average appetite.

As well as takeaway there are a couple of casual tables indoors with no extra charge for eating in.

At about £4 for a standard serving Jenny's is also excellent value for money.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Oriental Garden: If It's Good Enough For The Locals...

Singapore Rice Noodles

It always bodes well when the majority of customers in a UK Chinese restaurant are in fact Oriental and here on a quiet Monday six out of the eight of us ordering were doing so in what I assume to have been Mandarin.

This is a smart, modern, intimate little place, brightly-lit and subtly themed. Menus are fairly short compared to most, which is always a good sign, and whilst the house's speciality is Dim Sum it offers a good range of familiar and exotic dishes.

Service is professional, casual and friendly and prices very reasonable.

Favorite Dish: To start I opted for the Crab and Sweetcorn soup which certainly tasted of crab (and sweetcorn) and being finished with egg white was glutinously rich. My Singapore rice noodles were OK. The noodles themselves were a bit clumpy which resulted in the waiter having to rescue my naff chopstick attempt by providing a spoon and fork. They were a bit short on prawns too but made up for with plenty of duck and chicken and the spice was about the right heat for my palate.

Not the best noodles I've had but not complainable about. Washed down with a bottle of Tsing Tao beer the just over £12 bill was good value overall but maybe next time I'll stick to the Dim Sum.

• Westcliff Tapas: new Spanish tapas

by mickey0789 Written Aug 3, 2009

West Cliff Tapas is a brand new tapas and restaurant with a cosy atmosphere and a genuine taste of Spain.
    offers a wide range of traditional dishes, from charcuterie or cheese platters to seafood, paella or meat dishes

Favorite Dish: Paella mixta was delicious!!!

traditional paella with chicken and seafood

• Wine Tasting

• SillyWAbbit's Profile Photo

Harry Ramsden: AVOID!

by SillyWAbbit Written Aug 16, 2008

Avoid it!

This is one of the worst places I have ever eaten in. I had heard of Harry Ramsden fish and chips so decided to try the brand, big mistake.The staff that served me and my girlfriend seemed disinterested and appeared not to want to be there at all. They seemed impolite and hostile towards me.

I ordered fish and chips. The fish portion was the smallest I have ever had. I'm CONVINCED this hasn't even seen a fryer. It appeared just like the frozen fish you buy at the supermarket in both taste, size and texture, horrible. The chips were over cooked and soggy, again the portion was tiny. My girlfriend ordered sausage and batter with her chips and got a very tiny dried up half burnt.. thing. I also ordered a portion of mushy peas, this was cold. We both threw our meal away after eating only a little.

Instant Answers: Bournemouth

Comments

Bournemouth Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bournemouth restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bournemouth sightseeing.