Brighton Favorites

• amapola66's Profile Photo

Car Boot Sale and Sunday Lunch

by amapola66 Updated Sep 6, 2010

Dorset Bar

Favorite thing: Pop up to the Sunday morning flea market/car boot sale, where you'll find all manner of strange and interesting articles for cheap. (The earlier, the better).

This used to be held held in the car park at the back of Brighton Station, but is now held a Brighton Marina (out of city center).. There are usually some familiar (for me anyway!) and friendly faces having a good old rummage there and a nice atmosphere.

Follow that with a tradtional British Sunday lunch. (Currently investigating the latest recommended). The Dorset in the center of town has always been a local favourite where you can sit out on the steret weather permitting.
    Dorset Bar

• Brighton Pier

by julia79 Written Jan 7, 2009

Brighton Pier

Favorite thing: It was known as Palace Pier before, but was renamed to Brighton Pier in 2000. Palace Pier costed 137 000 GBP to be built and opened in 1899.
    Really a good place to walk and have fun, to eat something and look at the beach.

Fondest memory: I tried to catch some of the toys in one of the pictures, but I was in bankruptcy and still couldn't. So, don't waste your money:) Well, maybe I'm not good enough to do it, but it was really a good fun trying to catch a toy and screaming;)

Strange tourist's LOL

Definitely no Liz Taylor

Fondest memory:
    One afternoon, whilst me and my husband were visiting Brighton, we were sat on a wooden park bench on the promenade, when a coach full of German tourists got off the coach behind us. All of a sudden, right behind me, we heard a young man's voice going "Oh my god, it's Elizabeth Taylor!"..... Funny really, considering my hair is blonde, and not dark like our Lizzie's!? It must have just been the really big hair that I used to sport?

A funny old afternoon

Fondest memory:
    About a week after we'd gone to Brighton on the Tarts day out, we went again with our dad, our two brothers and our dad's friends from the Polish club on a coach day trip.

Meaning as we had already seen everything the week before, well, all of the pubs anyway, me and my sister Mel went round the town for a bit and then to the cinema. We sat there and had a splendid afternoon watching a double bill of 'Blazing Saddles' and 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail'. What a good laugh we had, and then we came out of the cinema just in time to catch the coach back home!

26/10/02 what a day!!!

Brighton Toilet humour

Fondest memory:
    Yep, the whole of this day should be a warning and danger tip! We started off out at 10 am and because of roadworks and dickhead slow drivers that don't know what they're doing, we took 3 hours to do a 2 hour trip.

When we got here I was busting for a pee, I went into the old loos on Brighton promenade and the lock stuck and I couldn't get out again! I fiddled and farted around with the lock and ended up shouting could anyone help me? Then I screamed for my old man, but that silly old bugger had wandered off down the street a bit to look in the shop windows, whilst waiting for me. I eventually got the door open, but I was really panicking at the thought of being stuck in the loo for ages.

Whilst walking in 'The Lanes'some idiot threw some huge round coin that hit me in the shoulder, thank god I had a thick jacket on, I shouted out that they were f***ing little c***s! If I had seen who had thrown that, they would no longer have their teeth in their mouth, you can rest assured of that.

Then, when we are stood right next to the balcony upstairs in The Churchill Square shopping center, some skinny, ugly little b*tch smashes straight into my bag and hurts my hip! Isn't it funny how skinny people need a lot more room that us more meatier ones eh? I don't bruise easily, but my hip hurt like buggery for hours afterwards. I hope she falls over and breaks her scrawny little Chicken neck.

Other than that, I enjoyed my day out, as usual.

The lonely Seagull

Brighton Seagull

Fondest memory:
    We, me and my husband, Chris, had just spent the afternoon walking around the main town and browsing through the shopping centre. It was coming upto late afternoon so we sauntered down one of the little roads where all of the bed and breakfasts etc are and landed back down onto the main road next to the promenade. So it was a walk besides the pebbly beach to get back upto the 'buzz' and glitz of Brighton.

True peacefulness has got to be seeing the sea and beach at Brighton on a late Autumn's afternoon in November: The waves are rough and crashing on to the beach as the wind suddenly gets up and you can feel the chill in the air. This lonely Seagull flying just over the sea near the shore just kind of made it a really nice Autumn's afternoon.

• Hiking and Walking

Oh balls!!

Brighton Traffic Warden

Favorite thing:
    Sitting on the promenade café, having a cup of tea is so much fun, especially when you see the Traffic Wardens vigilantly patrolling the sea front road and catching the tight b@stards that park on the double yellow lines.

There are they actually two wardens at once, one starts one end, and the other starts at the other end. Then they deftly go in for the kill! They write their tickets, stick them on the cars, and then photograph each one. That's so that the people can't say that there wasn't a ticket there I suppose?

So I thought it would be fun photographing the ladies in action, and I bet "Oh balls!" or words to that effect, is what the unsuspecting public say when they find their parking tickets!. Serves them jollywell right for parking where they shouldn't is what I say! hahahaha.

• Theme Park Trips

The tarts day out

Fondest memory:
    When I was in my late teens, I used to go to a pub called 'The Morning Star' and was in the darts team. The darts team decided to hire a mini coach and we went to Brighton for the day, it was called somethings like 'Tarts day out.' We stopped off at 'The Wooden Bridge' pub in Guilford, Surrey, and before we went intot he pub, we all put our underwear on top of our normal clothes! It caused a great stir in the pub!

Once we got to Brighton, we found this old pub called 'The Alambra' and went in there, it was full of old fogies and an old piano, but we had a great old sing song and was all drunk by mid afternoon!. We slept it off on the beach so that we could all have a good time down there at night, which of course we did! We went pubbing and clubbing, got pissed again and didn't get home until 5 am in the morning. I needed a wee on the way home, the coach driver stopped the coach for me, then the cheeky bugger was shining the headlights on to my backside!

A Winter's afternoon

Brighton beach in Winter

Fondest memory:
    Me and Chris came to Brighton this day in late January 2004, just for the day out and something to do. We did come over here a fortnight before, but the whole world and his dog came that day, and there was nowhere to park, so we just drove off around the coast and to Winchester for the day.

Anyway, this day was dull and bleak looking, so we managed to get a parking space on the seafront. We had a gad about the town, in the shopping centre, I bought a nice pink jumper from Evan's ladie's clothes shop, a walk on the pier, and had a look in the little seaside shops. Oh, and sent my mate Jeff - Seabiscuit a postcard, took a couple of photos and then came back home. by the time we got out of the outskirts of Brighton, it was pissing down with rain! But this was a really nice and relaxing day out for the two of us.

• Hiking and Walking

Brighton Pier Ghost train

Brighton Grim reaper from Ghost train

Fondest memory:
    You have just got to go on the Ghostrain!
    In June of 2002 when we were down here with my sister and her husband. Once we had had our dinner, we had a look on the fair on the pier, and we all decided to go on the Ghostrain.
    I hadn't been on one of these for years, so it was a great laugh, not scary at all, were they ever? But a great laugh. We were screaming and shouting with glee and having a really great time, even kids couldn't have made any more excited noises than us!

Anyway, we got off of the Ghostrain at the end of the ride and started to walk off, when all of a sudden, a great big shot of wind blew my skirt and coat up around my neck!, you know, just like that pic of Marilyn Munro, I shouted out "oh f*ck!" in shocked surprise and everyone was laughing their heads off, including some bloke standing there with his two little kids. I bet he could tell that I was quite ladylike eh?

• School Holidays
    • Theme Park Trips

The Brighton food fight

Bright Fish&Chips on pier

Fondest memory:
    When me, my husband, my sister Mel, and her other half Simon, came down here for the day in June 2002, we decided to have dinner in the restaurant on the Palace Pier. The service was deplorable, and we even had to ask for the `free` bread and butter that came with the fish and chips! it wasn`t even butter the cheapskates, it was cheap old tasteless margarine!!

Anyway, we`re sat there eating our fish and chips and drinking our cups of tea, when Simon said something silly to me, I can't even remember what it was now? I picked up one of the slices of bread and butter and laughingly threw it at him, it missed him and hit my sister on the arm, she didn't look very amused, I don't think Chris was either? LOL. Simon threw a slice back, it went on my hair and then down my black trousers, it looked just like a cumstain! Simon bent down to pick the bit up that had hit my sister, as it had fallen to the floor, I didn`t even think about what I was doing and I just slapped him straight in the side of the face with another piece of bread and marge! He got up and the triangle of bread was still stuck to his face! I couldn`t stop laughing, the people on the next table to us was pissing themselves laughing too! Simon wiped away the margarine saying that one side of his face would get the sun better than the other one now.

I often think of this little episode to myself and then can't stop laughing.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Henry the Insurance agant

by sourbugger Updated Oct 19, 2007

Favorite thing: Only in Brighton.

Henry has a responsible job with an insurance firm in the city of London. He wears a sharp suit Monday-Friday and takes the train home to Hayward's Heath everyday at 6.43 - regular as clockwork.

When Saturday comes, it's a different story. Now he wants to be known as Emily-Sabrina, and likes to wander up and down Brighton Promenade dressed in nothing more than a thong and a pink taffetta feather-boa.

Takes all sorts.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

The Prince regent

by sourbugger Written Sep 13, 2007

Look at me ! Look at me !

Favorite thing: The BBC comedy series 'Blackadder the third' was based around Blackadder (Rowan Atkinson) and his sidekick Baldrick serving the idiotic Prince George: "described by almost everyone as a fat, flatulent git".

The son of the mad George III, the role (played by Hugh Lawrie) mimics the real life George who reigned as regent before his fathers death in 1820 - owning to the fact that his father thought he was a large tub of begonia most of the time.

As regent, he was given over to massive self-indulgence. It is this period that the real-life prince was intimately associated with Brighton. He built the Brighton Pavillion, and could pursue his 'aesthetic' tastes there. What happens in Brighton stays in Brighton !

Get it out on DVD, it's one of the funniest series you will ever watch.

• jo104's Profile Photo

Hotels in Brighton

by jo104 Written Aug 1, 2007

Favorite thing: This is a general tip to ,ake you aware that during peak season hotels as well as B&B's only accept bookings for 2 nights over a weekend. We wanted to stay only the saturday night but found it virtually impossible. I contacted the Brighton tourism board & they gave us these 2 B&B's that offer 1 night stay only.
    Forty-one 41 Cornwall Gardens
    The Garth - 28 Cornwall Gardens

My personal advice would be to rather catch the last train from Brighton to Victoria which leaves at 10pm & you will still have time to tube it back home.

• gabriellefox's Profile Photo

Unique Boutiques

by gabriellefox Updated Apr 18, 2007

Favorite thing: I am not a huge fan of shopping - I know - a general gasp of disbelief slipped out. However Brighton offers such a unique array or independent boutiques and larger chain stores that there is something for everyone.

The Lanes is a retail, leisure and residential area with the seafront at its southern edge. It is characterised by a collection of narrow alleyways following the street pattern of the original fishing-based settlement, the resident businesses in The Lanes are predominantly independent boutiques jewellers, antique shops, restaurants and pubs.

Churchill Square is an indoor shopping centre which includes mainstream retail shops, restaurants and car parking spaces. It was originally built in the 1960s as an open-air pedestrianised shopping centre, but was completely rebuilt in 1998.

The North Laine area is a retail, leisure and residential area situated immediately north of The Lanes. Its name derives from the Anglo-Saxon word "Laine" meaning "fields". The North Laine contains a mix of businesses dominated by cafés, avant-garde shops, and theatres. However, its character is gradually changing. Due to property price rises and the expense of local council taxes, many small privately owned businesses are finding rents increasingly unaffordable in the area and are being replaced by larger entertainment chains and leisure companies which is such a shame.

Fondest memory: If I have to go through the ordeal of shopping - I love to disover something a little different that you can not buy through the large national and international chain stores. Whilst those few independent boutiques can hang on in there it is still possible to discover unique hand made bags, purses, jewellery and clothes. It makes for a fantastic souvenier of your time in Brighton and it is always lovely to be able to report that you bought it from a chic boutique when some one asks where you got it. You can reply secure in the knowledge that you will not be seeing them with the same item any time in the near future.

Instant Answers: Brighton

Comments

Brighton Favorites

Reviews and photos of Brighton favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Brighton sightseeing.