Brighton Favorites

• JulesH's Profile Photo

Sunset flock

by JulesH Written Feb 3, 2007

evening flock

Favorite thing: The pier is a very important point in Brighton and although the town is busy and bustling, you simply have to turn out towards the water to experience a different perspective. The sea seems to have something special here. I feel at peace when I look across towards the distant horizon.

Fondest memory: As we were searching for the VT party on the pier we saw a flock of birds swooping against the sunset in the evening air. Quite a stunning sight.

• Elodie_Caroline's Profile Photo

Rainy day in Brighton

by Elodie_Caroline Written Jun 8, 2006

Fondest memory:
    Ok, maybe my title doesn't sound as good as 'Rainy nights in Georgia'? but it'll do...

One time we came down here on a Saturday in September, must be about about thirteen years ago now? it was piddling with rain and I had to give my little brother my leather Jacket, because my mother hadn't bothered to give him a coat. So we ended up only staying long enough to have a look in a few of the shops, a look over the bit by the side of the Pier to watch the waves crashing on to it, which was lovely, then go and have dinner in the restaurant on the pier. Of course we had fish and chips, and then we went back home. I would have stayed much longer, I don't mind being out in the rain, but meaning as i couldn't stay dry because of giving my coat to my little brother, then I didn't want to stay very long.

On the way home, it was still piddling with rain. We were in an old Ford Cortina, and guess what happened? yes, the bloody thing broke down in Shinfield! they do not like the wet weather. It conked out at a set of traffic lights, but Chris managed to steer it around the next corner. After he had messed about with it and started it again, he actually managed to run over his daughter, Claire's, foot! hahahaha. We set off again, and my brother, Derek, couldn't have shut his door properly? He ended up hanging out of the back door, holding onto the door handle for dear life! I panicked and was shouting "where the f*cking hell do you think you're going?!" at him, he still reminds me of this! hahahaha. I always shout when I'm in a panic and frightened of what's going to happen to someone I care about

But we eventually got home safe and sound...... Thankfully

• School Holidays

• Angelica_Demon's Profile Photo

GO TO THE BEACH............

by Angelica_Demon Written Jan 27, 2006

The pretty beach huts along Hove promenade.

Favorite thing: It doesn't matter if it's the middle of January, just go. There is always something to see/do. Watching the 'Innumeration' (thats millions- no exaggeration- of starlings swooping over the Palace Pier to you and me) at sundown. Sit on the decking outside the Beach nightclub and samle an overpriced but tasty pizza if its hot, get some fish and chips and snuggle into the shingles if not!
    By far the most attractive (and clean) part of the strip is Hove Lawns which stretches form the Meeting Place kiosk down to King Alfred's Leisure Centre but don't attempt to have a BBQ on the lawna as this was recently made illegal.
    If you have young children there is a little outsie pool and play park just opposite West Pier which is glorious on a summer's day. Even local starlet Jordan takes her kids there,

Fondest memory: Even if you prefer sandy beaches (most of us do!) you cannot deny the breaktaking beauty of the beach at sunset in August,

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

Rays of sunshine shining through the clouds

by martin_nl Written Jul 31, 2005
    The sea in Brighton

Favorite thing: Walking along the beach always gives you the possibility to look a very far distance towards the horizon. I can really enjoy it when the sun plays with the land or in this picture the sea. The clouds are quite dark, but the rays of sunshine are coming through the layer of clouds doing their best to lighten our days.

• socrates_07's Profile Photo

Fishing Museum

by socrates_07 Written Jan 5, 2005

Fishing museum

Favorite thing: I think, everyone knows, England is a country of museums. I like to go to there and it didnt take a long time till I found one. Not a big one but an interesing one. I was tired at that time, a musem like the British Museum would be too much for me at that time anyway....

• Museum Visits

• socrates_07's Profile Photo

Relax at the Pier

by socrates_07 Written Jan 5, 2005

Pier of Brighton

Favorite thing: The first what I did after I arrived in Brighton was taking a breakfast. And then ... relaxing at the pier in Brighton. It was luck because it was the last and only sunny day in Brighton during my stay.

• mustardgirl's Profile Photo

Atmosphere of Brighton

by mustardgirl Written Aug 23, 2004

Favorite thing: You’ll know what I mean once you have been there: sat on the pier, walked on the beach, strolled the lanes and just got yourself lost wondering around.
    It’s all so simple and so easygoing and this is what makes it so great!
    (To guarantee the same feeling, the weather conditions have to be right: sunshine, moderate wind and at least +25C)

• One Amazing Day

by londonscooterboy Written Mar 17, 2004

Favorite thing: Terre a terre

Fondest memory: My best Brighton memory

2002

Fatboy Slim’s free concert live on Brighton beach.

During the preceding week the papers and everyone were freaking out because they were expecting 75 000 people to come to the gig, the town couldn’t handle it blah blah blah.

Saturday morning dawns; beautiful day and the people start coming and coming and coming.

That afternoon people are waiting and waiting and waiting; the police are freaking because there are so many people and they keep delaying Fatboy’s start.

Finally he hits the stage. 250 000 people !!!!!!!!! on the beach go ape.

And the first tune……Tim Deluxe: It Just Won't Do (before it had been played to death.)

One amazing day…..

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

The seafront promenade

by HORSCHECK Updated Jan 23, 2004

Seafront and promenade

Favorite thing: Stroll along Brightons's seafront promenade or the pebbly beach between the entertaining Palace Pier and the damaged West Pier. The walk is only about half a mile long. Enjoy the busy cafes, bars, amusements and entertainments.

• Trains

• nigelw6443's Profile Photo

M&S

by nigelw6443 Updated Oct 20, 2003

Mmmmm Chicken Tikka Masala

Favorite thing: If you don't fancy eating in a pub or restaurant, grab yourself some sandwiches from Marks & Spencer and sit in Chrchill Square or down on the beach and have a tasty but cheaper lunch. Marks & Spencer do a fantastic selection of sandwiches, rolls, wraps and other lunch specials.

Fondest memory: The best sandwiches!

• kwanou's Profile Photo

THE PIER with an arcade and...

by kwanou Updated Sep 9, 2003

Favorite thing: THE PIER with an arcade and lots of fast food stalls, including the very English ‘Fish and Chips’. And so many sea-gulls!
    BEWARE: Don't eat fish and chips at the stall at the end of the pier; they are DISGUSTING.

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Great Beach ......for walking!

by herzog63 Updated Jul 8, 2003

Palace Pier

Favorite thing: I spent alot of time walking the small lanes and walking on the beach in Brighton. I wish I would have taken more pictures! For the fairly long period of time that I've spent in Brighton I don't have very many pictures!! Brighton can be a fun town! It can also serve as a great base for exploring smaller towns and villages in the area.

• Beaches
    • Hiking and Walking

• kwanou's Profile Photo

Virtual Brighton and HoveThis...

Favorite thing: www.brighton.co.uk - Virtual Brighton and Hove

www.totallybrighton.com/ - Totally Brighton

www.whatsonguide.co.uk - What's OnGuide

www.brightonmusicradio.freeserve.co.uk/ - Brighton Town Guide

• kwanou's Profile Photo

THE ROYAL PAVILION famous...

by kwanou Updated Mar 5, 2003

Favorite thing: THE ROYAL PAVILION famous oriental style building was built for the Prince Regent’s wild parties in the 1820’s.

www.camacdonald.com/birding/Hotspots/England/BrightonPavillion.html - The Royal Pavilion

/www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/bhc/pavilion/index1.html - The Royal Pavilion 2

• kwanou's Profile Photo

The BRIGHTON MUSEUM AND ART...

by kwanou Updated Mar 5, 2003

Favorite thing: The BRIGHTON MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY in Church Street is open to the public again.

It's just round the corner from the Royal Pavilion. The painting collection is not particularly large, and the premises are shared with the town library, but this is still one of the most interesting provincial collections of Victorian paintings. The art nouveau collections are very good, and there is much art deco, a large collection of ceramics, and a changing exhibition of non-European art. There are also exhibits on the history and growth of the town. They show the view of both the public and the inhabitiants of Brighton about the city.

www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/bhc/museums/brighton for the Brighton Museum and Art Gallery

Instant Answers: Brighton

Comments

Brighton Favorites

Reviews and photos of Brighton favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Brighton sightseeing.