Brighton Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Brighton

• Red Veg: Vegetarian Fast Food

by Mariajoy Written May 31, 2005

RedVeg, Brighton

Whilst out shoe shopping in the Laines with Petra on a gloriously sunny afternoon in Brighton she said *oh I know a veggie place where we can eat!* I was impressed, and I have to say it.. almost touched... because it is rare that she ever thinks of my needs on our numerous excursions ;-))

So we came to Red Veg - a small operation run by two guys under 20 who were extremely apologetic that they didn't have breaded mushrooms on the day we went. We will forgive them as the rest of the food was fab.

Favorite Dish: Well we had the *Red Veg Burger Meal Deal* for 4.25GBP (one of these days I will work out how to find the pound sign on this keyboard). This *deal* includes any Red Veg Burger, fries and soft drink. I had a mushroom burger with Swiss cheese, fries and a coke. It was huge and absolutely delicious. P had a regular burger (vegetarian of course) and spicy wedges and a coke.

They also do the Vegwurst veggie hotdog for 2.85GBP, Falafels (lime coriander with humous, tahini chilli relish, and salad) for 3.85 GBP, Three Bean Wrap (which is fairly self explanatory) and Greek Salad Wrap (Sundried toms, roasted peppers, feta cheese, tahini and olives). Stuffed Vine Leaves, NoName Nuggets, stuffed jalapeno peppers, spicy baby corn firesticks. So the choice is really varied and I will definitely revisit.

RedVeg is Vegetarian Society Registered and most items can be made vegan to order. Everything is GM free and the cheese is also vegetarian (no renet).

I am not sure why it is called RedVeg - only a passing nod to communism in the form of posters on the walls of Che Guevara and Stalin sharing a burger with a boy on a train... bizarre.. but it's Brighton, and I love it :))

• The Opposition: Eating Italian

by Mariajoy Updated Apr 24, 2006

Opposition window

We were on our way to a gig in Brighton but decided to go early and eat first. There's loads of places to eat in this town on a warm summer's evening and this place seemed to be VERY popular. They were doing a special evening promotion of pasta or a 12" pizza for 3.00GBP.

We had the pasta, followed by a HUGE piece cake for pudding, which surprisingly neither of us could finish. So we wrapped it up and took it home. Wellllll... it was too good to leave!

With coffee (and 10% service charge) our meal came to 22.00GBP for two.

There is only ONE ladies loo here, it's upstairs and on a busy summer evening there was a queue. Not really adequate facilities.

They are open 7 days a week from 7.00am-11.00pm

Favorite Dish: I had the banoffee pie (toffee and banana). It was fabulous but toooooo big! If I went again I would JUST have the coffee and cake and forget the pasta.

This was an authentic family run Italian place - with a name like *Opposition* I imagined it would have a much more urban trendy kinda feel but infact the decor was more homely/rustic. It was obviously very popular, and the waiters were rushed off their feet. Big Ol' Italian Mama sat at the cash register keeping a watchful eye on the proceedings.

• Shellfish Hut

by Mariajoy Written Jul 18, 2004

Seafood

Cockles, mussels, prawns, whelks, crabsticks, salt, vinegar or freshly squeezed lemons, makes the perfect snack! When you are by the seaside.... eat shellfish ....mmmm luvverly!!

Favorite Dish: You can either choose to have a small individual bowl of any of the above, or you can have a large mixed bowl of all of them!! Which is what I had... for ?4.80.

• Sejuice: Mmmm... Smoothies...

by Mariajoy Written Sep 10, 2005

Nice place in Brighton for salads, tortilla wraps and smoothies. It gets really busy and service can be a little slow, and they don't serve coke. We had a table outside as the weather was so warm - they could invest in a few sun umbrellas for the comfort of their clientelle! They have those tiny little circular aluminium tables and enourmous square plates - I saw a group of three people sitting at one table and the waiter had to bring them another table for the third plate as there was just no space for it!

Favorite Dish: I had the humous wrap with tortilla chips and mayo and a Manhattan smoothie - (raspberry and strawberry) and it was all delicious! Petra had a tuna salad and an apple juice. Mine came to £6.

La Capannina: Nice Little Italian Off A Side Street In Kemp Town

by amapola66 Updated Mar 3, 2005

La Capannina

Went for the second time to Capannina's Italian restaurant, off St James' Street, Kemp Town for another friends birthday.(Feb 05)
    Lots of Aquarian friends always make for a hectic February in the life of the Amapola.

Open 15 years, The menu is varied and specializes in fish, chicken, steak, pasta and above all the famous pizza's done in traditional Italian brick ovens.

The restaurant was pretty packed on a wednesday night and the atmosphere relaxed, chatty and jolly.

I had a very nice Sea Bream in white wine sauce, the special of the day, the salads were good. house wine was a light, dry white Italian (half a caraf). The Brown Bomber had a huge Calzone and my friends had a rather splendid spinach gnochi and a spaghetti (the gnochi I was told, was particularly good).

Service was pleasant and unhurried, my only complaint was we were sitting by the door, which made it rather drafty, but seeing as we hadn't booked ahead and the restaurant was packed, we couldn't really complain.

Pleasant middle priced restaurant in relaxed surroundings.

About £20 per head.

Favorite Dish: Sea bream, (although they also have seabass on the menu, another fave of mine).

• Picassos: Another Great Little Italian

by Mariajoy Updated Apr 4, 2011

Profiteroles

We decided on Picassos because it was not far from where we were going to be at a gig that night and the prices seemed really reasonable compared to some others in the area. We were shown to a window seat which was great because we could watch the Friday Night Brighton Revellers going past, and typically (for Britain) most of the women under 25 were completely and ridiculously under-dressed for a freezing spring evening - anyway it amused us for a few minutes :)

Favorite Dish: I had the tagliatelli with creamy mushroom sauce and parsley and lashings of Parmesan cheese. Petra had spaghetti bolognese We followed it with profiteroles and tiramisu (yes HORSCHECK! "Another" tiramisu!) LOl! The meal was absolutely fabulous, service was prompt and the waiters very pleasant and friendly. I'd definitely recommend this place to anyone wanting to eat Italian in Brighton!

With a couple of drinks (rum and coke and vodka and tonic) it came to around £23.00.

• amapola66's Profile Photo

The Little Buddah: Cheap & cheerful with 'bring your own'

by amapola66 Updated Feb 2, 2008

Thai Food Dish

"Great simply adorned BYO Thai restaurant opposite the Tin Drum. The Little Buddha only caters about 26 covers and, if not already - then as soon as people realise how good the food is there, will be a very popular place to go eat".

Although, it is not the Ritz ; ) ...We enjoyed our meal at this restaurant last night. (Feb 05). We took our own wine (there is a 'corkage fee, i think £1) and the had a great time.

Started with little fish cakes.
    This was followed fried fish in ginger with spring onions and plain noodles. (Yum!)

Service was charming, food and plates hot and the price was very reasonably under £15 per head.

As I say, this isn't haute cuisine and the food is simple, but we will add this to our list of regular 'cheap and cheerfuls'.

• Study Abroad

• Fat Leo's: It might not be Haute Cuisine but its great food!

by Mariajoy Updated Jan 14, 2007

Fat Leo's in Brighton serves great Italian food with a very warm welcome! The prices are reasonable - (Spag Bol for 3 quid?? A bargain in Brighton, believe me!!) and the service is excellent. Go there.

Favorite Dish: I had the spaghetti alla marinara - fine spaghetti with a tomato, seafood, garlic, wine and herb sauce for £4.95 - no complaints here - it was great!

It might be worth booking in advance because this is place is very popular and gets very busy!

Check the website for the full menu listings.

• Piccolo: Great Little Italian

by Mariajoy Written Apr 23, 2006

Fish salad

Lovely little Italian restaurant in the heart of Brighton's Lanes, where the service was fast and friendly and the atmosphere relaxed and welcoming. It was busy, which is an obvious sign of popularity but booking wasn't necessary.

Favorite Dish: I had the Insalata piccolo - salmon, shrimp and crab salad with dough balls (small bread rolls) and Petra had the chicken and bacon version which came without the rolls. We shared the tiramisu, but I could have eaten a whole one to myself because it is probably the best tiramisu I've had anywhere.

The coffee was good too! All in all with soft drinks it came to about £10 per person. Bargain! I would definitely eat here and recommend this place to anyone.

Terre a Terre: Classy Veggy Restaurant

by amapola66 Updated Nov 29, 2006

Terre a Terre

The first time I went to Terre a Terre was Feb 2005 - to celebrate 'The Singer's' birthday, and very nice it was too.

The food was delicious, although understanding the menu is somewhat tricky !
    This is NOT 'rabbit food' - it is creatively presented, extremely tasty and I wish I was eating there again tonight!

Gorgeous nibbles such as "herb infused feta; soy steeped deep fried hoi sin sesame toasted tofu or sherry and balsamic vinegar coated sun-dried tomatoes, sodden socca - saffron, thyme and orange zest, drenched deep fried chick pea and sesame socca served with charred and marinated artichoke"...and so on tempt your taste buds.

The deserts were heavenly (shared one with The Singer). The singers friend had a huge chocolate concoction that looked like a chocolate lovers dream. All their food is of an extremely high quality.

As usual, we were the last ones in the restaurant, nattering away, and the staff didn't seem to mind too much.

The restaurant also has a good stock of organic wines and beers and a kids menu.

They now operate a no smoking policy, but sometimes allow smokers to have a quick puff on the small terrace oputside (spot me and the singer).

It is not cheap (mains average at around £12 although starters are very reasonable).
    Highly recommended for all food lovers, vegetarian or not.

Just went back for lunch yesterday, and confirms it is one of the best retaurants in Brighton.

Update : Been back a few times now, the lat time with a friend who has an abnormal amout of food allergies and has not enjoyed a meal in a restaurant for some time. Not only did they take the time to discuss her allergies in great details, but they came up with something that looked jsutlike the version on the menu, but which wouldn't make her ill. - Fantastic

Favorite Dish: The menu changes regularly, but 'Port Pie' has been one of my faves.
    Hard to describe - but including some paper thin pastry, a veggy sausage, delicious sauce, wine i think, two baby brussell sprouts and totally delicious!

Their sausage and mash is amazing.

Tip : Don't worry about what to order, just shut your eyes and pick - All food tastes good here.

Try a champagne coctail with fresh rasberries.

Everything served in this restaurant is good and the staff really know their stuff.

Muang Thai: Quality Thai Food

by amapola66 Updated Mar 14, 2006

Thai Dish

**PLEASE SEE UPDATE BELOW

Fresh Thai cooking, friendly service, set on Brighton/Kemptown Border.

Decorated with oriental paraphernalia including massive lacquered paper parasols suspended from the pitched ceiling.

Smoking/Non-Smoking sections.

Relaxed.

**March 2006 - PLEASE NOTE - A French student of mine has recently told me, that her friend saw a cockroach in this restaurant. This is jsut a rumour, but I have to say, it has put me off going!
    Will ask around a bit and see if I can find anything out.

Favorite Dish: Green Prawn Curry and coconut rice.
    All fish dishes good and I remember some very good fishcakes. The mushroom satay in peanut sauce starter, is truly delicious.
    Also good, it their thai fried fish, with various flavours.

The food is colourful, tasty and fresh.
    Highly recommended.

Kambi's Restaurant: Reasinably priced Persian/Lebanese Food

by amapola66 Updated May 23, 2007

Typical Lebanese Starters

"Ambience of a lively global cafe"...

Persian/Lebanese restaurant with good selection of vegetarian and vegan dishes. A vegetarian or vegan 'meze' is a meal in itself at £8 and they do various meat dishes that my carnivore friends assure me are good. This is a cruelty free restaurant which has a good selection for vegetarians and meat eaters alike.

The restaurant used to be bring your own wine, but are now licenced, the house wine really isn't up to much (politely put) but they do have some good wines on the menu. Reasonably priced and recommended for a night out with friends rather than a special occasion.

Service acn be a little slow, but they is a good natured and relaxed atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: Get a mixture of veggy or meat maze, they are fantastic and we prefer them to the mains.
    There was one particular hot cheese dish, forget what it was called. YUM!

• Study Abroad

• The Sanctuary: A vegetarian haven

by Mariajoy Updated Jan 5, 2008

This little cafe/restaurant is tucked away in East Hove, (which is still Brighton really). As well as serving great coffee, cake, salads, soups etc, it is also a gig venue - "The Cella" for all kinds of music/poetry/multi-media events/Jazz (oh yeah that's music too ;-)) events.

Favorite Dish: I had the vegan banana cake - it was fabulous.

• themajor's Profile Photo

Fish and Chip Restaurants: WHEN THE CHIPS ARE DOWN...

by themajor Updated Jun 26, 2008

A salt and batter-y

Well I can't say I've frequented all the fish and chip shops in Brighton but for any visitor to a British seaside resort, a traditional serving of cod (or haddock) and chips sprinkled with salt and vinegar and wrapped up in newspaper is as good as it gets on the comfort food front. A meal will set you back around £5 per head in most fish and chip shops and of you're sitting down whilst eating you have to have it with slices of bread and butter and a nice cup of tea. Sitting inside a takeaway to eat will add additional tax to your meal so be warned. Watch out for places with fried fish being kept warm under a heating element. This is fine if it was lifted out of the oil in the last minute or so but ideally you want it fresh from the fryer. Delicious!

Bankers along Western Road is well thought of. The Pier has it's own but I have yet to try it. Harry Ramsden's opposite the Pier is part of a large chain of fish and chip shops - I've had meals ranging from excellent to mediocre depending upon the day and the branch. The Athena B in Station Road Portslade served me the delicious meal in the photograph this very day! Basically there a few fish and chips shops that can claim to serve superb meals all the time - the freshness of the catch and the cooking is vital yet can be variable in the best of outlets. My all time favoutite 'chippies' are actually in Headingly, Leeds and Giacopazzi's in Eyemouth, Scotland which also serves superb ice cream.

Favorite Dish: Haddock and chips replete with gherkin and a dollop of mushy peas!

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo

Momma Cherris Soul Food Shack

by BluBluBlu Written Aug 24, 2005

This place has been around for years...great food....HUGE portions...and a fun atmosphere! Its always busy at weekends...so go midweek. Was recently featured on a TV programme...so it might be even busier!

NB Photo from their website.

Instant Answers: Brighton

Comments

Brighton Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Brighton restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Brighton sightseeing.