Brighton Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Brighton

• Angelica_Demon's Profile Photo

Brighton is VERY safe!

by Angelica_Demon Written Jan 27, 2006

I have lived in Brighton ALL my life and I absolutely assure you that it is safe as houses! Just use common sense really as with anywhere you travel to. If you are a girl on your own who doesn't like to be hassled do not go ANYWHERE near West Street after Dark as it is a chav-infested hell-hole full of pre-pubescent lads tanked up on Stella. (hmmm, maybe that should be if you are in your right mind and of any gender don't go near West Street!)
    As someone has already said on here if you are trying to get into the Concorde 2 Nightclub or any of the bars/clubs on the seafront never say you're from London (or the outskirts). It also helps to get a good mix of boys to girls in your group to help you along.
    As someone (very erronously) stated on here earlier there isn't just Brighton but also Kemp Town around the main attraction. It is NOT full only of the gay scene. It is in fact the more upmarket end of Brighton where you will find the nicer restaurants and a village street on which is lots of boutiques etc. Although there is a strong 'pink' feeling to this part of Brighton this is also where the majority of young professionals and young hippy families live.
    As with anywhere avoid being alone in the train station late at night, or on the unlit parts of the beach.
    Heed all these and you will be fine. Remember there is a reason why there seems to be more Ozzies, Kiwis, Poles, Spanish and French people in Brighton than Brits!!

• amapola66's Profile Photo

Avoid West Street Area at the Weekend

by amapola66 Updated Jan 5, 2006

Bunny Girl

Try to avoid the West Street area on a weekend. This area provides the spot for visiting binge drinkers/stag & hen nights/day trippers and generally it's mayhem at the weekend.

Visions of blonde bimbos in pinky fluffy bunny ears puking up on the pavement while drunken lads trying to take advantage hover nearby ever hopeful.

This is not typical Brighton and is a tiny part where all such visitors are usually contained to a small area by the watchful eye of the local constabulary (thank God).

Avoid it - We do.

• Dont take your family down west street at night

by clipboard Written Sep 1, 2005

Dont take your family down west street at night as it may be frightening to young children as it is the main street for drinking and it gets quite boisterous! If you want to go to the cinema at the bottom at night either come up from the seafront (which still can be quite an adventure) or visit the cinema in the marina. Saying this though as long as you don't go looking for trouble you probably won't find it.

• Designerartgirl's Profile Photo

Pigeons

by Designerartgirl Written May 30, 2005

pigeons

Again not really a warning but not sure where to put this hehe...

Pigeons are always on the lurk around many fish and chop cafes on the seafront, and in churchill square, waiting to munch on some of your food... they have even been seen to eat a jalapeno chilli after it fell out my subway sandwich!

• Designerartgirl's Profile Photo

Car Parks

by Designerartgirl Written May 30, 2005

Well this isnt really a danger but a good piece of advice for all those drivers out there visiting brighton. Brighton is notorious for its lack of good parking, and the available ones in the multi stories are very expensive reaching 5 pounds for a few hours.

Try parking out of town and walking or taking a bus. Thus saving you lots of money and you see a lot more of brighton :)

• Dont try walking along the West Pier

by Mariajoy Written Mar 25, 2005

Beautiful in it's decay

The West Pier was built in the 1800s and closed in 1975. Unfortunately it partially collapsed in 2002 during a storm and 2 arson attacks in 2003 finally finished it off.

Now it stands, skeletal and derelict, but eerily beautiful - just a short distance along the beach from the vibrant, tacky, lively East Pier.

• "Maria, who DID put all the stones on the beach??"

by Mariajoy Updated Jul 20, 2004

South Coast = Pebbles  - bring a cushion!

Believe it or not..... this was a genuine question asked by a visitor to our southern coast a few years ago. The pebbles have always been there - our butts have toughened accordingly - no soft sandy beaches for us - we're 'ard!!! (Although deck chairs will be provided at a cost!)

The Bins

by biggeorge Written May 26, 2004

No-one can seem to organise a the bin men , who are currently on strike because they get constantly abused by the general public for being useless. Consequently there's quite often rubbish everywhere despite the councils best efforts and I'd recommend wearing shoes on the beach due to the large numbers of intravenous drug users in the town.

Cabs

by biggeorge Written Mar 4, 2004

Getting a cab late on Friday and Saturday nights can be a pain in the arse ,as the cabs that use the ranks can't be flagged down.
    There's normally a huge queue for the rank opposite the Event/Paradox so your best bet is to head up the hill ( which most other people are too lazy/drunk to do ) and grab one from either the station or the rank outside the Ice Rink.

Bouncers

by biggeorge Written Feb 24, 2004

Who let him in?

Particulary in the summer the nightlife gets very crowded and consequently bouncers can be very picky in the more commercial clubs. These are the Event ,Paradox, and particulary the Beach club ( which can be harder to get into than the Ritz).
    The specialised dance clubs are a bit more relaxed - Zap , Escape , Concorde 2 ,Enigma but even they try to weed out the undesirable customers.
    This is my guide to getting in , based on several encounters with the rock hard boucers at the Beach.

1) Work out where you want to go and dress accordingly - if its a cheesy normal club night dress up ,if it's a techno DJ at the Concorde dress down.
    Trainers won't get you into the Beach but shiny shirt/shoes will get you turned away from the Concorde.

2) Get there early , the queues are huge and as the queue increases the bouncers get pickier. Also asking the bouncers about how much it is -who's playing is good way to get them to view you with a bit less suspicion.

3) Find some girls - if you're one of the beautiful people don't worry you'll get in anywhere if you aren't then there's nothing bouncers like more than knocking back large groups of lads. All girl groups will also get in anywhere , you'd have to throw up on the bouncer to get turned away.

4) Try and act sober , propping each other up isn't going to get you far.

5) If they ask you where you come from - LIE
    Foreigners are normally o.k unless the club's a real dive ,when you'll be turned away for your own safety. U.K residents may have more difficulty ,WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T SAY YOU'RE FROM LONDON, either pretend your local or say you're visiting friends and come from somewhere remote no-ones ever heard of ,small villages are best, claiming you're from any big city should be avoided. Never say your from London because they have a lot of trouble with gangs coming down from Croydon and you won't get in.

Hopefully this should avoid the embarresment of being turned away and having to walk past the queue that you've just spent a wasted hour in.

• mel_bee's Profile Photo

MIND YOUR TOES (AND EARS)

by mel_bee Updated Oct 22, 2003

I haven't experienced anything really dangerous in Brighton (and hope I never will) but thought you would be amused with this story about my toes (and ears).
    I was sitting on a bench, reading a university book in Queen's Park when out of the corner of my eye I spotted a rather large object working its way closer to me....
    ....as the seagull drew nearer I noticed an inquistive look in its eye. It slanted its head from one side to the other, trying to work me out....
    ....then walked up to me, opened its beak and grabbed my foot!!
    I told it off in what I thought would be an adequate seagull stopping way and returned to my book. After a moment, I peered down and it looked at me once more, head to both sides, pausing in between and then attacked my toes again! This time I shouted NO and gave it the sort of glare I learnt whilst teaching naughty children. It stopped and walked away disappointedly to a space about 5 metres away. From there it spent the next half an hour giving me looks which ranged between latent aggression and conscience stricken guilt - completely putting me off the complex theory behind human rights but amusing me at the same time.
    Eventually I decided to move to another bench. So I chose one which was sheltered by bushes from behind and on the path away from curious seagulls. Happily I read my book but...
    ...I heard a strange noise behind me, then I felt a strange furry wetness on my ear...
    .....Visions of wild animals raced through my head and I nearly fell off the bench out of surprise, but then a little dog with a ball in its mouth bounded over my shoulder and ran onto the grass. Don't worry shouted its owner he only wanted to play....
    From now on I study in the University library!!

• a5floor's Profile Photo

People living on the streets.

by a5floor Written Aug 30, 2003

If you walk around in Brighton, you will find people who are bagging for money. There are people who are standing on a corner and sell a streetmagazine. Some of those people are running to you and say it is their last copy and say: please, please, please... buy the last one!

• blueboo's Profile Photo

Avoid group fights or drunk people

by blueboo Written Jun 2, 2003

My friend got hit accidentally when passing by a group fight. Group fight could be really bloody and violent during clubbing time in Brighton, and believe me, it happens very very often. There are many people who are drunk and could be dangerous to a person walking along the street. DON'T walk too late alone at night and avoid dark alleies!!!

• Maputosimon's Profile Photo

Drive there SLOOOOOOOWLY!

by Maputosimon Updated Dec 22, 2002

As an ex-policeman, I can confirm that these Sussex Police traffic cars are VEEEEERY fast, and camera-equipped, and very good at hiding, in spite of their plumage, so drive SLOWLY and keep to the speed limits on those tempting roads between Brighton and London!

In fact, let's be responsible...keep to the speed limits everywhere! That felt good. Will I go to heaven now...?

• rob-craig's Profile Photo

I think the word is junkies,as...

by rob-craig Written Aug 26, 2002

I think the word is junkies,as you try to peacefully drive your car around the streets they will be falling in the path of it ,Unfortunatley I only managed to hit one and even he was able to get back up.No seriously it in fact WAS an accident and it WAS his fault.Its a shame for the good people who live here

Instant Answers: Brighton

Comments

Brighton Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Brighton warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Brighton sightseeing.