Eastbourne Restaurants

Athens Restaurant & Steakhouse
    Athens Restaurant & Steakhouse
    Pizza Express Eastbourne

Best Rated Restaurants in Eastbourne

• Beachy Head Pub (Brewers Fayre): Warm Pub - Warm drinks :)

by Mariajoy Updated Nov 18, 2007

After a long walk on a cold day this place was very welcoming! It is a Brewers Fayre Pub - serving lots of lovely (huge!) meals. We just popped in for a coffee and to get warmed up!

Update!

Had Sunday dinner here 18/11/07 - Bill had Roast beef, Yorkshire pud, roast potatoes, various veggies and I had mushroom tart. For pudding we had a rhubarb and raspberry crumble with custard and I had vanilla cheesecake with black currant sauce... it was absolutely delicious. With a couple of beers and soft drinks and coffee it came to just under £30 for two people.

Despite being in the middle of nowhere (Beachy Head) it is extremely busy with families, hikers etc, even on a cold, wet, grey November Sunday. You don't need to book but you might need to wait for a table. Just go in, find yourself a table then order food and drink from the bar.. they will give you a wooden spoon with your table number on it and you have a tab.. ie, you order what you want, and get your drinks when you want and just tell them your table number and pay for it all when you leave.

Favorite Dish: There's a huge selection - from salads with jacket spuds to fish and chips and roast lamb with roast potatoes and gravy... take your pick. Meals seem to start at around 7 pounds per person - a little pricey, but they have a bit of a monopoly being the only pub for miles and miles!

• Hiking and Walking

• Pomodoro e Mozzarella: Pizzeria Ristorante

by Mariajoy Updated Feb 12, 2006

Italian in Eastbourne

A late birthday meal with a friend in Eastbourne took us to this fabulous Italian restaurant.

The waiters are VERY attentive and helpful. The service was quick and the food was delicious. We didn't have to book even though the place was almost full, they found us a table immediately.

We had a lovely bottle of Italian house red wine with our meal (9.80 gbp) .

They also accept the Euro here.

Grazie e Arrivederci

Favorite Dish: I had the penne del cornuto, my other vegetarian friend had tortelloni and the other had tagliatelli al salmone. We all tried each others meals and decided the tortelloni was the best!

We didn't have a pudding but they were serving some HUGE icecreams to other diners! If it hadn't been such a cold evening I might have been tempted - but their hot coffee was fine for me!

• Fiesta Bistro: Another Lovely Italian in Eastbourne

by Mariajoy Updated Dec 4, 2005

I love this place - they serve delicious food for a reasonable price. Unfortunately they are not open on Sundays but during the week they have tables outside where you can sit and enjoy the sunshine (even in the summer if you are lucky).

Favorite Dish: They do various foods from snacks to hot dinners.

I had a baked potato with tuna and salad.

Their coffee is the best - instant decaff in a MUG!! and the guy serving let me make it myself!! Tasted exactly like home!

Pizza Express: Good Antipasto

by zadunajska8 Written Dec 4, 2011

Pizza Express Eastbourne

This branch of the chain of Italian/Pizza restaurants is pleasantly decorated and has polite and cheerful staff. I've had a couple of pleasant meals here with friends and will probaly visit again.

Favorite Dish: I Like the "Classic Italian Antipasto" as a starter - I think teh peppadew peppers are my favourite bit of it. The Romana Pizzas are also good.

Shimla Palace: Best Indian in Town

by zadunajska8 Written Nov 3, 2011

Shimla Palace, Eastbourne

This is without a doubt my favourite Indian restaurant in Eastbourne and I love Indian food and have lived here for most of my life!
    It doesn't look anything that special from outside but once inside the service is good and the food is divine! Do try the specials and get the popadoms when they offer - you get much more than the usual 4 dips that most Indian restaurants everywhere in Britain serve - they have several others which I couldn't name but enjoy every time I go here.
    The prices are quite good as well for the quality (average prices but top class food) and they have some nice red wines (but only a fairly limited wine list).

Favorite Dish: Chicken Xancti - one of the house specials - fairly hot but also very flavoursome rather than just a load of curry powder as many Indian restaurants serve. Here the dish actually has a full and unique flavour.

• Fusciardis Italian Icecream: Icecream in Eastbourne

by Mariajoy Written Oct 3, 2005

I just happened to see this place on Eastbourne seafront while I was waiting to get my car repaired.

Favorite Dish: If it hadn't been pouring with rain and freezing cold, I might have been tempted to get an icecream while I waited. But I didn't. I just took a photo instead :)

Cosmo: Good 'All you can eat' buffet

by zadunajska8 Written Nov 11, 2011

Cosmo Oriental Buffet

Cosmo is a buffet style 'all you can eat affair'. It is cheap and the buffet style means no waiting for your food as you can just go up and get started straight away. The prices of drinks are also not too bad for a restaurant. The decor of the place is light and modern.

The food is a lot better than most chinese 'all you can eat' buffets I have seen before and there is a very wide choice of dishes - but because of this format it was never going to be great quality food. Unlike most oriental buffet places there is an interesting selection of desserts as well.

The place does seem to be very clean (including the toilets - often neglected by many restaurants).

Unfortuantely the low prices may attract a less refined type of fellow customer!

Clearly this isn't the place for a lavish meal or when you want to impress, but it is a good place when you want to be feed (a lot!) at a low price and quickly.

Gringos: Great Tex Mex

by zadunajska8 Written Dec 13, 2011

Gringos describes itself as an authentic Tex Mex restaurant and whilst I don't have a great deal of experience with such restaurants I was very pleased with the quality of food here. The restaurant has a good location in Eastbourne's sovereign harbour right by the waterfront.

The place is very clean and the kitchen is open so you can see where your food is being prepared. You also see a bit of very flamboyant flaming grills etc.

The staff were very friendly and the place has a very informal feel to it. The only let down was that the decor didn't seem to help create much of an atmopsphere but it's hard to pinpoint what is wrong. Perhaps just nothing adventurous? Perhaps it was just becuase it was quiet on the evening we visited? Or maybe it's just me?

Favorite Dish: We had the Texas style beef which was great. It came to the table still sizzling which is always a nice touch in my opinion. It was very spicy, which I loved.

The Thai House: Excellent Thai

by zadunajska8 Written Dec 20, 2011

The Thai House, Grove Road

This was a delight to discover!

The food here was simply delicious - every last bit of it. Add to this the very drinkable house wine for less than £13 a bottle and the fantastic staff and it made for a most enjoyable evening.

The waitress was very welcoming and warm. She also showed a wonderful sense of humour all evening long and we felt very special, as I think did all the other customers there.

I'll certainly be making this one of my regular restaurants now.

Favorite Dish: We had the chefs platter to start which was nice to be able to try a selection of different Thai nibbly things. All were great.

I then enjoyed a thai red chicken curry (Kaeng Dang kai) with a fragrant coconut rice (Kaw Man kati). We shared "Drunken noodles" with king prawns between two of us alongside this and I was very impressed. In fact I just can't find fault with any of the food.

But do leave a little room to try the desserts. I had a type of banana fritta with coconut and some type of syrup and ice cream which is apparently the house speciality (Kluay Tod) and found it to be excellent.

• Tiger Inn Pub (East Dean): A great Pub after a great walk!

by VSNunes Written May 19, 2006

Description from their webpage:

"Surely the best pub in Sussex, this traditional English village pub, with low beams hung with pewter and china, polished rustic tables, distinctive antique settles and old prints, the Tiger Inn stocks well kept Harvey’s Best with guests such as Adnams best or Broadside and Brakspears Bitter on handpump, and a good choice of wines."

I can only say that its the best way to finish the walk from Eastbourne to birling gap. Just follow the road to Eastdean and you will see the pub parking at your left side... Follow the signs and enjoy! Then take the bus back to Eastbourne.

Favorite Dish: I have been there twice and always had great food.

First time, a Casserole of rich beef burgundy in a cold January day... briliant!!!
    Second time a kind stew with saussage and pork... again delicious!

A nice choice of Beers and a great selection of wines!

• Hiking and Walking
    • Eco-Tourism

• adelinemmc's Profile Photo

The Belgian Cafe: Lovely Belgian food

by adelinemmc Updated Jun 22, 2008

Ex-Café Belge, now the Belgian Cafe is great for its '50 ways to eat mussels' and it very extensive choice of Belgian beers.

I have tried 4 different types of mussels so far but even the simple Moules- Frites at £9.90 is fine.

If you don't like mussels, there are wonderful salads, chicken or fish dishes and specials.

There are tables outside when the weather's nice and it's just a short stroll to the Pier.

Service can be the sore point: sometimes quite slow especially so on busy Saturday nights but they have improved.

Desserts are quite pricey for what they are, the Belgian Cafe Fool had cheap vanilla ice cream instaed of good quality one.

Favorite Dish: Mussels, of course!

My favs so far:
    -Italiano, wonderful broth of tomatoes, garlic, white wine and herbs.
    -Red Thai Curry, hot but not too hot
    -Tarragon and cream: wonderful creamy sauce bursting with tarragon flavour

• Seamoors: More a wine bar than a restaurant

by Mariajoy Written Jul 26, 2008

Crab salad

The Waterfront at Sovereign Harbour has several eateries and as we were strolling around I noticed some of the customers sitting outside Seamoors eating delicious crab salads! As we had an hour before our boat trip we decided to have lunch here.

A couple of things... it would have been nice had the tables been cleaned before our food was served... and when we asked for some mayonnaise it was served in a rather grubby giant plastic bottle. And apparently the waitress had trouble finding us. When the barman had told her to take the food to the lady in the pink paisley patterned top she said to me "that would be ok if I knew what Paisley was!!" Oh well.. now she knows :)

Order your food inside at the bar and let the barman know where you are sitting.

Two salads and two pints of lager shandy came to £18.

Favorite Dish: The crab salad was delicious - but I was a little surprised to find that the "crab shells" that the meat is served on are actually plastic!! I hope they re-use them at least!

The lager shandies we ordered were flat too - disappointing.

I probably wouldn't go back there - there is a Harvester a few meters away - the busiest in the country.

Meze: A Turkish Delight

by zadunajska8 Written Apr 2, 2012

Meze Turkish Restaurant

This Turkish restaurant has been here for years. In fact as a teenager I used to walk past it every day on my way home and yet somehow I never got round to eating here until now. As you would hope from a well established restaurant that has been there for so long it was a good experience and I'm sure I'll be going back again at some time soon.

I wasn't really sure what Turkish food would be like except kebabs (and I didn't fancy that really) so I was quite pleased to discover that there are Turkish versions of many of the dishes I have enjoyed so much in the Greek part of Cyprus in the past (but they have different names in Turkish) and so I was actually quite spoilt for choice.

The wine list is quite limited but the house Turkish Red is quite drinkable (but not a top quality wine by any means).

Service was cheerful and welcoming and always very quick. Towards the end of the evening some Turkish customers and the chef decided to give us all a show of some Turkish dancing which helped make it a memorable evening.

Favorite Dish: As I had so much trouble picking what to go for I eventually went for the "Meze Special" which meant that we got to choose a starter each (I had stuffed vine leaves which I've always adored in Greece or Cyprus before and Turkish ones are just as good) and then we had a monster sized platter with a mixture of dishes placed before us alongside a salad, some yogurt and some Turkish breads (pitta and another one that I don't know the name of).

All of it was good and I particularly enjoyed the bulgar wheat in a tomato sauce. The portion sizes were very generous and even as a group of larger men we struggled to eat it all!

The Treacle Mine: Great service just out of town

by zadunajska8 Updated Nov 13, 2011

The Treacle Mine is one of those out of town places which comes complete with adjacent Premier Inn etc. It's in a pub style but clearly the reason people come here is for a meal, it's not the sort of place you come just to drink and as it's out of the town on the A22 at Polegate there aren't really any locals to come here. I've visited on a number of occasions and the service is always fast and very cheerful. I've never been disappointed with the food and there are some interesting specials each day. The only down side is that it would probably be quite difficult to get here without a car.

Favorite Dish: The Scampi and Chips is always a good choice, as is the caramel apple crumble with custard for dessert.

• La Locanda Del Duca: Lovely italian!!

by LouiseBurchell Written Dec 3, 2005

This is my favourite italian restaurant in Eastbourne.
    The starters are big in size and the main meals are smaller but filling. Its good service and value for money. The restaurant has a modern feel and is clean. It gets busy so you will need to book.

Favorite Dish: I loved the gnocchi and also tortellini. Ooh and for starters ham and melon.

Instant Answers: Eastbourne

Comments

Eastbourne Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Eastbourne restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Eastbourne sightseeing.