Rye Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Rye

• SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

River Haven Hotel and Restaurant: Half decent hotel buffet breakfast

by SurfaceTravel Written Sep 15, 2012

We had arrived in the area early and were looking for breakfast. We did not stay in this hotel; we only had breakfast. It was the same breakfast that they provide to their staying guest - a hot buffet. There were eggs over easy, bacon, sausages, hash browns, mushrooms, all the usual features of a Full English. You could eat as much as you like. The food was all right, maybe average.

It cost us about £8 each, even our daughter, which I thought they could have discounted a little. It was all right, but we would probably look for a different place next time.

• Ypres Inn: A local pub restaurant dating from 1640

by Mariajoy Updated Apr 4, 2011

Ypres Inn

I didn't eat here on this visit - but would definitely like to give it a try soon! The menu looks fabulous! Tucked away down in the gun gardens but with a little garden of its own it must be a lovely place to eat al fresco in the summer time with view over the river Rother and Romney Marsh.

Check the website for a detailed menu description and opening times etc.

Favorite Dish: Not sure yet!

• Luxury Travel

• The Old Bell Inn: Eating in Rye

by Mariajoy Updated Mar 2, 2008

Just another lovely little place in the High Street.. a pub/restaurant.. lovely to sit outside under the umbrellas when it's sunny.. have a long cold drink and a sandwich...and watch the world go by.

Favorite Dish: I only had a tuna sandwich ...but they did lots of lovely hot dishes too

• Architecture

• Suzze's Profile Photo

Fletcher's House: A Step back in time....

by Suzze Updated Feb 14, 2008

The enticement of hot homemade soup was too much to resist but which restuarant do you choose?!! Out of so many that were on offer, it was just a matter of the first one we came to in the end.
    This has been a tea room since 1932, but what it was before I didn't find out unfortunatley. After our climb up the church tower this place was right beside it, and the enticement of the fire burning in the inglenook fireplace was a big help too!
    This was a typical tea room with all the big oak beams and the staff were very friendly and attentive without being too much.

Favorite Dish: We didn't have the soup in the end as they had run out of the one we wanted, and as we were later in the afternoon we thought fair enough. It was very busy too so I could see why!
    We had the homemade quiche, new potatoes and salad, delicious.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Simon the Pieman: Simon the Pieman - good place for lunch

by sue_stone Written Oct 20, 2007

Simon the Pieman

Wanting somewhere for a light lunch, I recalled a little place I had read about that claimed to be the oldest tea room in town - Simon the Pieman was its name, so we headed there to see if it had something on the menu to tempt us.

We loved the look of this café and cake shop, that dates back to 1920, so nabbed the last free table and decided which pie to have for lunch - it seemed wrong not to sample one of Simon's pies ; )

Favorite Dish: I opted for Fisherman's Pie, while my three companions all decided to try Simon's Pork Pie. Both were served with some salad and plenty of chips. My fish pie was a little light on the filling and a bit bland. The others were slightly disappointed with their pork pie as it was served cold - not quite what they were expecting.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Landgate Bistro: Landgate Bistro - fine dining in Rye

by sue_stone Written Oct 20, 2007

Landgate Bistro

Dinner on our short visit to Rye was at the Landgate Bistro. I had read that it was one of the nicest places in town, and although also one of the more expensive places, in London terms it was almost a bargain.

The Landgate is a small, modern place serving up "British food with a classic or modern slant". They source their ingredients from the local area, and you can tell that they are trying to create above average dishes.

Favorite Dish: To start, we had the Potted Shrimps with Lemon and Dill, Chicken Liver and Port Pate, and the Deep fried Courgette. All nicely presented and great flavours. Main courses were also enjoyable - we had the Breast of Gressingham Duck, with caramelised peaches and wafer potatoes, the Griddled local wild Rabbit, with mash and baby carrots, and the Confit of duck with peas and gratin potato.

Dessert seemed like the thing to do, and we indulged in the Lemon Tart, the ice cream with fresh berries, and the groggy Trifle.

Service was very friendly and helpful throughout the meal, and I would happily return to the Landgate Bistro if I find myself back in Rye one day.

• Wine Tasting

• Acirfa's Profile Photo

The Old Bell: Pub Grub

by Acirfa Updated Oct 6, 2006

The Old Bell Pub

Food was acceptable and fresh, not a vast menu, the usual favs such as lasagne and bolognaise

The ambience is that of old inn, a dark wood interior with 'old' music playing in the background.
    An exterior seating area for summer time relaxation.

Favorite Dish: Place and potato wedges.

• cup0joe's Profile Photo

Queens Head Hotel: Local fare...how about some evil mutton?

by cup0joe Updated Dec 4, 2005

Typical British fare. Large meals. I'm not really into British food, but my mom found the enormous leg of lamb interesting to say the least. They are recommended by the locals and you won't find them on any of the Rye brochures. Might even need reservation on a weekend. Although, not a fancy joint.

• The Fish Shop: Cod n chips twice please - and a pickled egg

by Mariajoy Updated Jun 15, 2005

Oh isn't it quaint??

This is a great place to eat. It's a traditional sit down fish and chip shop in Rye High St. Cod chips and peas will set you back 4.50GBP and the service is good. There's all the usual other fast food stuff on menu too. Service was a little slow last time we ate there..... but I guess that's what happens when the manager wants Sunday's off and leaves three teenagers running the show.

Favorite Dish: Cod and chips - because it's a chip shop!!!

• zuriga's Profile Photo

Simon the Pie Man: GREAT SCONES AND CAKES

by zuriga Updated Apr 4, 2005

Simon the Pie Man

We were happy to stumble across this lovely tearoom after having walked through the town of Rye. The cream tea was delicious with wonderful strawberry jam. People seemed to be enjoying more hearty meals of chips, sandwiches and other food, but the desserts were really standouts.Rye has many tearooms and cafes - outdoor restaurants in good weather. People flock to the high-priced Mermaid Inn as well. This claims to be the oldest tearoom in Rye, built on the site of the Red Lion Inn which burnt down in the 1850's. The original fireplace, which is beautiful, still remains.

• hayward68's Profile Photo

Ye Olde Bell: Ye Olde Bell

by hayward68 Updated Jul 27, 2003

Ye Olde Bell

Great little pub with a patio where you can sit and drink your beer on a warm summer's day.
    It's your typical English pub but if the sun is shining head outside and soak up the rays on the patio. What's better than a pint of ale while relaxing in the sun?
    It's quite a nice old building actually, the doorway is in the corner of the place. My pic doesn't do it justice as the sun was at a bad angle :-(

• Beer Tasting

• hayward68's Profile Photo

Mermaid Inn, Rye: Mermaid Inn, Rye

by hayward68 Updated Jul 2, 2003

Mermaid Inn

A place frequented by smuggers in the past. I loved the fact that it says it was rebuilt in 1420 and is still going strong. The original building on the premises was founded in the 11th century.
    The Mermaid Inn is a very character filled building with a huge fireplace in the pub area. I had to walk into the fireplace to get to my seat, that's how big it was.
    There's a restaurant and a bar but the restaurant was a bit pricey.
    Accommodation is also available though you'll be paying a pretty penny for the pleasure of staying in one of their four poster beds.

Favorite Dish: We only stopped in for a few pints so I can't tell you whether the food's any good. But judging from the prices on the menu, I imagine the quality of the food is quite high.

• Architecture

Instant Answers: Rye

Comments

Rye Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Rye restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rye sightseeing.