Cheltenham Restaurants

The house our daughter rented
    by grandmaR

Most Recent Restaurants in Cheltenham

• rich104's Profile Photo

Indus, Cheltenham: Cheap buffet? You get what you pay for!

by rich104 Written Jun 15, 2014

£9.95 for an "eat as much as you want" buffet is cheap I wouldn't return to the Indus if it were only a fiver. Unlike the Everest in Cheltenham the staff seemed quite unfriendly (apart from the waitress), possible because we chose the buffet.
    Unlike the Everest, which is only a little more expensive, we had to pay for poppadoms, nan bead, chutney etc and any pudding. That alone adds another £5 per head. Presentation was only ok. The food containers didn't have the convenient pivot lids but those which you had to remove completely and then put back. Bits of paper with hand written biro identified each item but half were unreadable due to food being slopped on them. No item was actually hot with most only being luke warm which can only make you wonder whether the items were cooked earlier and not fully re-heated or had just been left there for some time with the under heaters unlit. Anyway it's the first time I have experienced prawn curry with no prawns or chicken massala without the chicken! The massala was later refreshed with a few more pieces of chicken but I never saw a prawn and even the lamb curry was very mean in lamb content. The lamb wasn't particularly tender either. The masalla was sweeter than a Korma!
    One of my party of 4 asked for a clean plate which also brought displeasure from the waiter who told him to re-use his existing plate.
    Given the bill we told the waiter that the food was relatively cold to which he remarked "no problem". Clearly no problem to him at all - he probably intended to do nothing about it especially as there were many customers enjoying their full price menu.
    I treat these buffets as an indication as to what I'll get when I return for a more relaxing a la carte menu. I will not return to the Indus!

Favorite Dish: Nothing to recommend.

• The Real China: Awful!!

by abilovesant Written Mar 18, 2013

Just awful. I had high expectations, several people had told me it was lovely and brilliant food! It looks good and smells good. But we were taking to a table and just left there, we had no knife or fork, we wasn't told whether we just go straight up and get our food or to wait, we were not asked by the waitress if we'd like a drink. TERRIBLE service! She literally pointed to a table and walked off. Cheek! When we did finally just go up to the buffet to help ourselves we were in for more disappointment. The plates were dirty, very close to the floor for my liking, all of the dishes had the wrong names put with them. Chicken nuggets were named 'lemon chicken' .. The meatballs were named 'spring rolls'.

What kind of chinese doesn't even have sweet and sour chicken balls too!? That's my favorite dish when it comes to Chinese so I was looking forward to scoffing my face. The handles were extremely hot and would burn your fingers, I couldn't have any sweet and sour sauce so I had my chips and rice dry. The food wasn't very warm.. By the time I got to sit down again it was cold since we then had to find a knife and fork from somewhere. I definitely will not be back under any circumstances, I'd rather pay £13 at the buffet by block busters than pay for this rubbish again!

Favorite Dish: NONE!

• top_vapour's Profile Photo

Well Walk Tea Room: Always Time For Tea!

by top_vapour Written Nov 28, 2012

Step back in time to the day when sitting with your family and friends around a table drinking tea and conversing was the daily norm. Well Walk Tea Rooms has the vintage feel, with fine bone china tea cups, tea pots, and perfectly set tables. The ambience in this small 'cafe' is very nice, it is not a large cafe (so booking at least a day before is essential) but it is a beautiful place.

Aside from a great selection of cakes and lunch time food there is a wide variety of teas and coffee for very reasonable prices (a pot of tea, between two people cost £3.... but we got 3 cups of tea out of it each!). There is also a selection of retro homeware items such as cushions and tea sets available for purchase.

So, if you're after a cup of tea that is different from the modern cafes that we get today, I highly recommend the Well Walk Tea Rooms!

Favorite Dish: Scones, jam and cream - freshly baked on the premises and only £1.50. You really can't go wrong! Failing that, and you don't like scones, there is a nice selection of cakes!

• Seniors

• crazyman2's Profile Photo

John Gordons: yummy ices

by crazyman2 Written Aug 14, 2012

We saw the ice cream first...mmm...people were sat at the tables enjoying the Moevenpick ice creams. We dithered but they just raved about how good they were.

It was true! Fabulous taste and a good helping too! There was a selection of flavours. The three scoops cost us £7.

You could also eat/drink at John Gordons but we didn't feel like eating a pie so early in the day. Apparently, they are extremely tasty.

There is an outside seating area but you take the risk of smokers sitting near you.

Would I go here again? Of course!

Favorite Dish: Ice Cream!

Zizzi: A Hearty Italian

by top_vapour Written Aug 3, 2008

This is a very special restaurant! It's inside a restored church (with the original stained glass windows) and very classy but without the expensive prices. Inside, the restaurant is very modern and looks spacious (although the tables are packed quite close together). It is always busy during the evening and can get a bit noisy with all the other diners talking away.

The service by the waiters/waitresses is always very good and you aren't left waiting a long time to get food. You cannot reserve a table unless your party consists of more than 8 people, but if you get to the restaurant at about 7pm, it doesn't take long to find a table.

The food is excellent (especially the garlic bread :P), they serve a variety of italian food, including the usual lasagne, pasta carbonara and pizzas.

Favorite Dish: All the food at this restaurant is great. The garlic bread starter is great for sharing and the deserts at the end are fabulous as well. During my most recent visit I ordered the Pizza Sofia and it definetly ticked all the right boxes!!

A meal for 2: 1 Garlic Bread, 2 Pizza Sofia's and 2 fruit juices cost: £25.15 (plus your tip). Which compared to many other restaurants is very good, especially considering the restaurant itself, beautiful place to eat :)

• Festivals

• Curry Corner: Leading Indian Restaurant Serving Real Food

by monicasawala Updated Apr 15, 2008

The Curry Corner's food is what I would describe as quality, authentic and delicious Bangladeshi and Indian cuisine. I've just come back from a holiday in India and everything about this excellent restaurant brings back the best memories of my trip. Really fresh, seasonal food, beautiful surroundings which are evocative of the essence of India, and the place is cosy and welcoming.

Top tip - book ahead and early on in the evening - easier to find parking!!

Pricing is excellent - althought this restaurant is serving the best quality food their prices are often lower than some of the high street curry houses.

Favorite Dish: The Curry Corner's menu offers a varied choice of dishes. This is not a typical high street curry house serving what I personally consider fast food. You will find the favourites such as Chicken Tikka Masala, Korma etc on the menu but there are other unique regional dishes and creative options too, every dish cooked using Curry Corner recipes - really delicious and not what you find elsewhere. I think it's ppretty well established in town that the Curry Corner always introduces original menus which are then replicated by others but it is never the same as the original. I admit over the years I've tried a fair few places around Cheltenham but I agree this is the best Bangladeshi/Indian restaurant in Cheltenham and beyond.

My personal recommendations: - agree Sweet and Spicy Chicken is excellent. Also Duck Makhani, 16 Spice Tikka Masala, Biriyanis are especially good - try the chef's specials you will not be disappointed. I missed theirc Naan whilst I was actually in India - sad but true!

• Curry Corner: Top Indian Restaurant - Local's favourite

by alicecooper001 Written Mar 27, 2008

This is without doubt the best Indian restaurant in Gloucestershire. A great local for over 30 years with an unrivalled reputation for quality food, freshly cooked using excellent ingredients. The restaurant is run by Shamsul Krori - the chef - and his lovely family. Everyone is extremely friendy including the staff. Although newly refurbished and looking a million dollars the restaurant remains true to itself by focussing on serving the best food - which is waht we all go to a restaurant for in the first place. You won't be dissapointed. Aromatic, fragrant and just delicious the menu is really fantastic with something to suit all budgets. Starting from a shoestring budget to more elaborate dishes - whatever takes your fancy. Top tip - book ahead!

Favorite Dish: I've tried so many things on the menu, every mouthful a delight but my favourites are Sweet and Spicy Honey Chicken, Fish Masala and 16 Spice Lamb Shank - yummy!! Subtly and perfectly spiced food - nothe usual sludge found elsewhere the food here is unparalleled.

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Air Balloon: Exploring the Pubs

by DEBBBEDB Updated Sep 12, 2007

Beth's daughter

Beth's report on visiting DEB

Friday, we went to a pub called the Air Balloon.

Monday - Saturday 11am - 11pm. Sunday 11am - 10.30pm.

FACILITIES

Extensive Beer Garden, Wheelchair Access, Disabled Toilet, Baby Changing Facility, Outdoor Children's Play Area.

OTHER

Non Smoking Pub, Children Welcome (until 9pm), Car Parking 70 - 80 spaces, Disabled Car Parking - 6 spaces, Coaches Welcome (by appointment only). Debit / Cash Back & Credit Cards accepted.

Favorite Dish: My husband had sausage and mash which my daughter took a particular liking too. She so enjoys eating off of other peoples plates that we don't order an entree for her anymore.

Free Range Sausages & Mash (C)
    Three pork & herb sausages from the Duchy of Cornwall estate. Served with mashed potato, pan-fried onions & a red onion & balsamic gravy.

Sunday, I think we went to eat at the Indian restaurant down the street. I can't remember the name of it, but it may have been The Indus. My son liked the chicken when he finally tried it. My daughter was too tired to eat either that or she'd had her fill already and deemed dinner unnecessary. She kept trying to play with the electrical outlets just above my seat.

Wednesday, we had fish and chips for dinner. Kids tried the fish, but preferred the chicken nuggets. They might have been ordered from a local shop - something like The Big Fish. Neither of us remember.

• Beer Tasting

Namaste: Authentic Spice

by top_vapour Written May 17, 2007

The Namaste indian restaurant is a brand new restaurant to enter Cheltenham. Situated very close to the town centre, the Namaste restuarant provides excellent quality food and a fantastic ambience. The service provided by the waiters is perfect, and they are always there to order more food for you. You even get hot towels at the end of your meal which is a nice finish to such a lovely meal out.

I have visited this restaurant twice very recently and on both occasions i was perfectly satisfied with the food they gave me.

A meal for two with a drink each, popadoms, naan bread, rice and a main course each came to £22 in total (plus any tips)

Favorite Dish: I tried both the Chicken Korma and the Chicken Tikka Masalla. both dishes were perfectly cooked with not too much spice but enough to make the food taste good. I definetly want to go in again and taste more of the dishes. This is replicated by all those who I went to the Namaste with.

• top_vapour's Profile Photo

The Real China: It Is The Real China!

by top_vapour Updated Mar 25, 2007

The buffet area at the Real China restaurant

Both inside and outside the restaurant, the surrounds are excellent! It's nicely decorated inside and the ambience is always great. This restaurant is often busy with all tables full, however, you don't feel squashed in nor do you feel that it is too busy. There many chinese restaurants around Cheltenham, however, many of them offer a set menu and are not as nicely furnished. Its very close to the main High Street and bus stops.

This is an buffet restaurant with an all you can eat price of £12.95+.

I have visited this restaurant, three times within a short while, and on every experience - I enjoyed eating there! Its suitable for students, families, couples and even people who are fussy eaters! There is a lot there!

Favorite Dish: As this is a buffet restaurant - I've often opted for prawn crackers, Chicken satay and egg fried rice, although there is so much more!

Crispy seaweed, duck, spring rolls, a range of oriental soups.

Theres so much to eat - I suggest you go up many times!

(Image from the Brewery website)

• Work Abroad

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

The Rotunda Tavern: Great food in a cosy pub

by aaaarrgh Updated Feb 28, 2007

tavern

'The Rotunda' is one of those rare town pubs that serves good beer *and* excellent, good value food. I was looking for a local non-chain pub and eventually came across The Rotunda at the far end of Montpellier Street. It doesn't look like much from the outside but, once through the door, I found a cosy pub with many nooks-and-crannies, friendly bar staff and a crackling fire in the hearth.

The menu looked tempting, generally typically English - baked potatoes or a choice of steamed pies with vegetables and gravy for less than 5GBP. The steamed pies were absolutely excellent, with lovely chunky chips and gravy served in a large china boater. It definitely had not just fallen out of a microwave oven. They were served to us by an elderly lady, adding to the home-cooked effect ;)

What is more, the pub serves Brains SA bitter as well as cask Tetleys. Absolutely no complaints about that!

There is also and informative board on the wall outside explaining the history of the building.

• Beer Tasting

• Galahad's Profile Photo

Le Champignon Sauvage: The Critics Number One Choice

by Galahad Updated Feb 24, 2007

Le Champignon Sauvage 16.8.05

We went here for a birthday meal. (We have a tradition in our family to go out for a meal on family members birthday) This restaurant has two Michelin Stars. As a conseqence it is classed as one of the top restaurants in the UK.. If you cannot afford the evning meal prices, do as we did - go for the much cheaper lunch time (even at lunchtime the cost for a 3 course meal, a glass of the house wine and coffee was 33GBP or nearly $64.32 per person). It is described as cooking in the French Style but I would not describe the meals as typically french. Using mainly local incredients, for example some of the vegetables are picked from the chief's own garden or local hedgerows and fields. The chief uses really unusual incredients (some of which we had never heard of before) to produce memorable meals.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Indus: Elegant Indian

by grandmaR Updated Feb 23, 2007

The house our daughter rented

On our last night, we walked through a drizzling rain from our daughter's house on Leckhampton Road to the Indus for dinner, which was excellent. I found reviews for this restaurant which said:

"The Indus was opened by owner N. Allam in 1988 to cater for 100 covers and it has been one of the best in the area ever since. The spacious frontage leads into a friendly restaurant that is comfortable and pleasantly decorated. Service is very good and helpful and the food is the highlight for the many appreciate regulars."

One review said: "We ate here on a Sunday evening, which is not a busy part of the week but the Indus had a reasonable number of customers. No more outstanding than many other Indian restaurants but it is clean and friendly and the food is served efficiently. It has the ubiquitous Indian piped music but it is not intrusive.

Indian and Bagladeshi cuisine at reasonable cost, with about 15 tables and Friendly waiters.

"The menu is more extensive than some Indian restaurants and includes a "fusion" section which has lightly spiced dishes for the more wary diner.

"The Tandoori King Prawns are excellent; huge and well cooked. The Garlic Cheese Chili Nan is unusual, and well worth trying."

Favorite Dish: My daughter and her family ate UK Indian food frequently, and she recommended items to order that she thought Bob would like. He DID like the food there although at any other Indian restaurants that we've been to, he hated the food. I do not remember exactly what we ordered and I wish I could, because it was really good and I'd like to get Bob into a place where we could occasionally have Indian food and he would enjoy it.

£5.01 - £15.00 cost of a meal for one person including main course, half an appetizer, one non-alcoholic drink, tax and usual tip, if applicable

Hours
    Lunch Mon-Fri 12:00 - 14:00, Dinner Mon-Fri 18:00 - 23:30 Fri, Sat 18:00 - 24:00, Sun 18:00-23:30

Ratings
    Food ****
    Service ****.5
    Ambiance ****
    Overall ****

Features
    vegetarian dishes, takeout. private parties

Accepts cash, checks, Visa, MasterCard/Eurocard
    Smoking permitted
    Dress casual
    Alcohol full bar
    street parking

• naplesnate's Profile Photo

Tiffin's: Griddle gods

by naplesnate Updated Oct 25, 2005

I'm recommending this place because I worked there and can vouche for the ffod and the owners. They are quite avid travelers themselves and are always up for a good conversation if the place isn't too busy.
    It's a caffe so the food is pretty much sandwiches, baked potatos and salads but there is plenty of variety and the taste is great as is the coffee.
    It is in the area known as Montpellier which is just past the promenade leaving downtown Cheltenham.

Thai Emerald: Add Some Spice

by top_vapour Written Aug 4, 2005

Theres a list to why its so good:
    Authentic thai food
    Well Known
    Worth the money
    Helpfull
    Relaxing
    Modern but with a lot of thai culture

Favorite Dish: The Green Thai Curry - well presented and tasted acbsolutey DELICIOUS

• Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Cheltenham

Comments

Cheltenham Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Cheltenham restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cheltenham sightseeing.