Buckingham Palace Favorites

• One of the figures at the base of the monument
    One of the figures at the base of the...
    by grandmaR
    My photo of the other side of the lion
    View from the bus

Most Recent Favorites in Buckingham Palace

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Buckingham from the Bus

by grandmaR Updated Jun 25, 2007

View from the bus

Favorite thing: This is a picture that I took from the top of the Big Bus of the Queen Victoria Memorial which is topped off by a gilded figure of Victory accompanied by Constancy and Courage. This was all I saw of Buckingham Palace on this trip. It wasn't one of my goals.

But I really like the picture.

And then when I took my grandson to London, one of his goals was to see Buckingham Palace. So we took a taxi and got off and in the process of looking at Buckingham palace, we took additional pictures of the Queen Victoria Memorial.

Fondest memory: When we were here in 1950, we saw the Changing of the Guard (actually the correct name is Guard Mounting) at Buckingham Palace. We went up and stood near the Foot Guard with the full-dress uniform of red tunics and bearskins that was standing there in front of his little sentry box. We were told that they would never change expression.

My dad was really into photography. He took 16mm movies at a time when most people didn't take more than 8 mm if they took any movies at all. He took a movie of my sister standing next to the guard at Buckingham. After she thought the movie was over, my sister turns slowly and looks up carefully at the guards face - I think because he is so still, she's trying to see if he is breathing.

• Castles and Palaces
    • Museum Visits

• TinKan's Profile Photo

The Wedding Cake

by TinKan Written Feb 2, 2003

The Wedding Cake

Favorite thing: The Queen Victoria Memorial (also known around London as The Wedding Cake) was built in 1911 to honor Queen Victoria. The 13 feet high statue of Victoria is surrounded by the figures representing Charity, Courage, Truth and Justice

Truth, Justice, and Motherhood surround the Queen, whose statue faces the Mall. The monument is topped off by a gilded figure of Victory accompanied by Constancy and Courage.

Fountains surround the central portion of the monument with bronze figures representing the arts and other subjects.

The memorial cost £325,000 and 2300 tons of marble was used in its construction.
    This is the largest monument to a monarch in England.

Instant Answers: Buckingham Palace

Comments

Buckingham Palace Favorites

Reviews and photos of Buckingham Palace favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Buckingham Palace sightseeing.

View all Buckingham Palace hotels