Dagenham Travel Guide

The village (when I was quite young)
    by barkingcreek
    Balti Dish at the Farhana Barking
    by Shelley04

Dagenham Things to Do

• Jaecn's Profile Photo

by Jaecn Updated Apr 4, 2011

Every year since 1952 Dagenham has held a Town Show. The next is on the weekend of Sat 16- Sun 17 July 2011, between 11am and 7.30pm. Thousands of people flock to the area to enjoy live music, arts and crafts displays, fair-ground rides, and much more. A fantastic time out for the family

• Festivals
    • Music

Dagenham Restaurants

• Balti Dish at the Farhana Barking

by Shelley04 Written Mar 7, 2010

There are tons of Indian restaurants in Barking Town and nearby, my partner is a big curry fan and we have tried quite a few of them, believe me ! For several reasons though we keep coming back to the Farhana.

(1) The food - lots of choice and plenty of good vegetarian dishes. You can either order several veggie side dishes or for very little extra have one served as a main dish with rice, a naan or chapatties. Very generous portions - We always eat far too much.
    (2) The price - Currently it's £8.50 from the "all you can eat" menu (March 2010) or choose from a wider selection at a slightly higher price from the a la carte menu.
    (3) The owner - Foruk is a really nice man and goes out of his way to make us welcome. He always comes over for a bit of a chat . . . asks how we are, how was your holiday etc etc. The rest of the staff are very pleasant too.
    (4) They do a good take away service if you are feeling lazy - We are on their doorstep but I think it is something like free delivery within a 4 or 5 mile radius - call them and ask.
    (5) You can bring your own wine or beer, which is one thing that never is cheap when you eat out. They are unlicenced.

Favorite Dish: Their mixed vegetarian starters is a good one to try or any of the paneer dishes.

• barkingcreek's Profile Photo

by barkingcreek Updated Feb 7, 2010

This restaurant is now known as Jazzies T Bone Steak House but as far as I know has the same people working in it.

We went here on 6th Feb 2010

When we arrived, there was a board outside advertising live music every Saturday night and a sign on the door saying that the card machine was not working. We got some money from the cashpoint up the road in the garage and returned, the time was now about 7.45.

When we entered we were the only customers and only one other couple arrived while we were there. There was no live music and the food consisted of frozen vegetables and the toughest fillet steak I have ever tasted, all served on lukewarm plates.

I complained to the waitress who took my complaint to the chef. Nobody was really interested. We paid and left.

This is not a cheap restaurant and our meal, main course only plus a bottle of house white, a beer and a bacardi and coke came to £55.00. That's a reasonable price for quality dining, but sadly, Jazzies failed to provide this. The surroundings are pleasant and comfortable, hardly complimented by the smelly toilets.

I think it may be a while before I return.

• barkingcreek's Profile Photo

by barkingcreek Updated Jan 14, 2007

This restaurant provides a buffet service for about £8.00 per person and you can bring your own drink. They don't have a drinks license so this makes it a really cheap night. There is an off license just up the road you can use.

The food is freshly prepared and Farouk will cook most things on the menu and include it in this price.

For four people and two children he charged us £40.00 and we all had more than we should have eaten.

They also deliver a great takeaway, piping hot and freshly cooked

Favorite Dish: Onion bhaji, fresh and crispy

Instant Answers: Dagenham

Comments

Dagenham Travel Guide
Map of Dagenham