Heathrow Transportation

Most Recent Transportation in Heathrow

• MartinK35's Profile Photo

Heathrow Reshuffle.

by MartinK35 Updated Jun 23, 2014

T1 will be bulldozed in 2016 to make way for huge construction works to extend the newly opened state of the art T2. and all flights to and from there will be moved in the coming months.They may be moved to the new T2 but not necessarily. Flights to and from T3, T4 and T5 may also be moved.

I wouldn't rely on my airline contacting me and would advise double checking which terminal for all flights to or from London Heathrow.

If you have a smartphone, Heathrow Airport has a great app for tracking flights in real time. I use it at work when I collect passengers in my coach to check flight numbers, terminals and any delays. Information on how to download it to your phone can be found here...

mobile apps
    For those without a smartphone go to live flight information to check your terminal. If you booked a flight months ago it may have been moved from the terminal on your original booking receipt.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

EASY and FAST

by davidjo Written Feb 9, 2013

Not sure if this tip is in the correct place but you will find that the check in process at Heathrow , T4 is easy and fast. Once you have found the location of your check in counter, head for the immigration and security checks which are also very efficient. In no time you will find yourself in the duty free area where all the information regarding your departure gate is clearly shown. The whole process from entering the terminal to arriving at duty free took less than 20 minutes, but of course this can be much longer at busy times.

• Tagged baggage

by slainte76 Written Jan 15, 2013

Sorry for the late update. Just to let you know that my bags were tagged through from Osaka to Belfast, despite korean and BA not being partner airlines and being told by korean that the bags would need to be picked up at heathrow. Also there were no long queues at terminal 1 at that time (17:30) so everything went smoothly. Good luck for anyone with a similar query!

• davidjo's Profile Photo

Heathrow Airport, transfers by tube

by davidjo Written Nov 10, 2012

Often on the forum there are questions regarding transfers between terminals so i just like to mention that you can transfer between T 4 and T1,2 or 3 by tube. From terminal 1,2,3 just hop on the tube and the next stop is T4, but from T4 you must hop on the train to Hatton Cross which is the next stop where you get off and hop on the train going in the other direction to the next stop which will be T1,2,3

• garfield.'s Profile Photo

Connecting flights

by garfield. Updated Nov 1, 2012

We have traveled with BA to Bulgaria and then caught the internal flight, which was with Bulgaria Air. As part of the process, i would expect to collect baggage and then proceed to the next check in point with your luggage and check in again with your party and luggage, clear boarding checks and await your flight.

I would check if BA land at the same terminal as you are departing, other wise you will need to take one of the buses outside to the next terminal of your departure. Fare is single and shouldn't cost more than £3-5, paying the driver. You may need to ask for assistance getting your bags on. Good luck. Do your search before leaving and i hope you have left time in between your connecting flight. ONLY do the taxis if you have the money.
    The tip is in reply to a traveler to the UK.

• Women's Travel

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Answer to Forum Question May 2012

by riorich55 Updated Oct 8, 2012

My wife and I flew from Chicago to Heathrow 3 weeks ago and then had a connecting flight to Paris Orly. Let me go through our entire schedule. It doesn't fit yours exactly, but hopefully will give you an idea.

Thursday - Had a 7:15 p.m. American Airlines flight from Chicago O'Hare to London Heathrow. Flight left on time. American Airlines and British Airways are partners and the flight was listed as both AA and BA. I believe your flight may arrive at Terminal 3 for the U.S. as ours did

Friday - Arrived at Heathrow about 10 minutes early at 9:00 a.m. Again we arrived at Terminal 3. We were in the back 2/3 of the plane and 2 other large planes had arrived at the same time. We walked a good distance to get to passport control where they were handing out water (nice touch probably getting ready for the Olympic hoards in a few months). We filled out our entry card while waiting. Finally got to passport control at 10:30 a.m. Cleared that within a minute or so and then went to claim our baggage.

Hopped onto Heathrow Express train which took us to Terminal 5 in about 5 minutes. Once we arrived at Terminal 5 we checked in with our British Airways flight to Orly and dropped off both bags. Proceeded through another quick passport check and security lines which only took about 10 minutes.

We arrived in the waiting area at about 11:20 a.m. and stood around watching the tote board until it posted the gate that our flight would be heading out of. The posting came at about 12:10 p.m. at one of the closer gates about a 5 minute walk from where we stood. We were in pre boarding area at 12:15 p.m. and our flight to Paris Orly took off about 12:45 p.m. The original departure was scheduled for 12:35 p.m.

So from our recent experience it took about 2 hours and 20 minutes to get to the waiting area.

• heathrow transfers

by erapo Written May 31, 2012

I really like Heathrow airport. It might be a bit crowded but there are many transfer options available. I think that the cheapest transfer option is to use the underground. However if you have more luggage, like 2 suitcases it’s not very convenient to carry them. One day when I came back from America with lots of luggage had to use an airport transfer company and was really impressed. The price is not that high especially when you share with one or two other people. It’s really fast and convenient to get from the airport to your home.

• Business Travel

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Answer to Forum Question on Customs - May, 2012

by riorich55 Written May 28, 2012

I haven't done much international travel, but having flown around Europe within the past month and having flown in and out of Heathrow Airport in London from Chicago during that time here are my answers.

As already said you will not have to declare any of those items, and if anything is breakable you should carry it on board. In fact, with those 3 items you could easily carry those on board.

I am going to assume you are flying into London Heathrow. If not, ignore all the following advice. We landed at Heathrow at the same time as 2 other jumbo jets, so most of the people going through customs were not UK citizens. (They have 2 separate lines for passport control - one for UK citizens and the other for everyone else.) The line for passport control was about 90 to 100 minutes. You will fill out a card that they will give you on the plane with your name, address, passport number, occupation, length of stay and reason for visit. When you finally get up to passport control you will give your passport and this card to the agent who will check the passport and the card and probably ask the purpose for your visit. You will then go pick up any checked in luggage and then proceed past the customs area as others have said because you really don't have anything to declare.

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

T3 to T4

by cochinjew Written Oct 10, 2011

the one question not addressed above is the nationality of the passenger. if non European passport holder, the lines at the immigration can be long, does not matter whether you are coming in from EU. T4 immigration may take longer since T4 has flights from the sub continent and all people needing visa now have to be fingerprinted. I have waited up to one hour to get through immigration coming in from France to T4.
    If you dont have a whole heap of luggage, I would go through immigration (if you are EU citizen the lines are always shorter and much faster), walk to Heathrow central and connect to T4.. there are trains every 10 to 15 minutes connecting heathrow central and T4. The security lines are not that long in T4 departure.
    By the choice of terminals, I might guess that you are flying Etihad or Emirates or Qatar via Gulf to NZ.
    If you dont have too much luggage to schlep I do think that 3 hours is enough .
    Good Luck

• OVERCROWDED!!

by chrissyJ Written Jul 14, 2010

London Heathrow Airport can be a human jungle particularly in the weekends, and if there has been a terrorist alert then passengers waiting to board CAN EVEN SPILL OUT OF THE AIRPORT! If you are flying from airport then my advice is that you arrive early and check-in (preferably online) as soon as you get there to beat the crowds.

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

From Heathrow to central London (and v.v.)

by Airpunk Written Mar 2, 2008

The fastest way to get to central London is Heathrow Express, which will take you to the center in 15 minutes. However, it is not the cheapest method. With 14,50 pounds one-way it is rather an expensive experience. National Express services are available from 4,00 pounds one-way. But if you need to travel within central London, take the tube. An off-peak 1-day travel card is available for 7,00 pounds already. The tube ride (Picadilly Line) into central London takes around 35 minutes. All prices are as of early 2008.

• Trains

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Travelling in-between the terminals

by Airpunk Written Mar 2, 2008

Heathrows terminals are quite away from each other. There are terminals 1,2,3 on one side, terminal 4 on another and finally terminal 5. Between them, you can use Heathrow Express, a train which connects the terminals with central London. You can use the train for free for travelling in-between the terminals. The tube connects also the terminals with each other, but is not for free. So, it is only a real option if you own a day-travel card or similar. Note that Heathrow Express and the Underground do not run between midnight and 0530. Check out the respective websites for exact times. Between midnight and 0530, the only way to get from 1,2,3 to 4 or 5 is road-based and on your own expense.

• Trains

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Terminal 4 to 1 (not a ratio)

by grandmaR Updated Jun 22, 2007

Coming in for a landing

Since the plane was 5 hours late, they had to get us off via a stair (photo 2) and bus us in to the terminal (photo 3). We would have to reschedule our connecting flight on Aer Lingus.

I went to the BA counter and she printed out our reservation and told me to take it back to Aer Lingus. I did. The man looked at it and said - this has no reservation number on it. I can't process it without the reservation number.

I went back to the BA counter, and the lady was closing her terminal to leave, so I jumped up and down in the line and waved, and yelled quietly (grandson was sitting with the bags so he didn't have to observe this). She came back and wrote the reservation numbers on the paper. I went back to the EI (Aer Lingus) counter and got the boarding passes. I had heard it was a long walk to terminal 1, so I wanted a wheelchair. He said I should go down to the next level and get a wheelchair at the help desk.

The help desk lady said she'd phone for a wheelchair. We sat there for some time, and then about 1400, I went and bought a BLT and a coke at Est Presso around the corner from where we were sitting. I gave them a $20 and got £4.85 in change.

Our boarding pass said that plane doors would close at 14:50 and it was now 2:30. Finally about 2:45, the wheelchair came, and took us up to immigration. THEN they asked about what relation my grandson was to me, and did I have anything from his parents. He looked at it and said it was good that I was responsible. As he gave it back to me, I asked what he could have done about it if I hadn't had it, and he admitted that he couldn't have done much at that point. After all, we were already IN the UK.

The wheelchair guy walked very fast on each of the three long moving walkways My grandson was behind him carrying the bags. They had not opened the gate until about 3-late. We got in line at the end of the people boarding. We were in seats E and F - a middle and a window.

• Seniors
    • Women's Travel

• timtregenza's Profile Photo

Overcrowded - Terminal 2

by timtregenza Written Nov 18, 2004

Heathrow Terminal 2 appears to me to be far too busy for its size, meaning that it is frequently very full, both airside and landside.

The queues for security can be long, so I would advise going through in plenty of time. The staff on security are very efficient, it is just the weight of people, and thoroughness of the security.

I often set off the alarm in heathrow having passed through several other airports without noitce (e.g. the eyelets on my trainers set off the alarms last time!)

Instant Answers: Heathrow

Comments

Heathrow Transportation

Reviews and photos of Heathrow transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Heathrow sightseeing.