Kingston upon Thames Restaurants

• davidjo's Profile Photo

DRUID'S HEAD: great meals

by davidjo Written Dec 24, 2012

the pub sign

The Druid's Head is near the market and is a protected building as it was constructed in the early 16th century. The pub serves meals from 11 am - 9 pm and as usual i could not resist the fish and chips while my friend had the Black Angus Sirloin Steak but in the end we shared. Excellent choices although a tad expensive.

• Photography

Jo Shmo’s Kingston: lunch at Kingston Wharf

by Janani Updated Apr 4, 2011

This restaurant’s location in Kingston’s wharf area makes it an ideal place for lunch on a sunny afternoon following a morning shopping or walking along the riverside paths. There are plenty of other places to eat alongside, so even if you take a look and don’t fancy it you can easily choose somewhere else. It has tables inside and outside within a small area roped off from the main pavement. The décor is simple and modern, with white paint and dark wood all around. Outside, the tables seemed a little crowded whereas the ones inside seemed rather more spaced out, so you aren’t jostled or overlooked by people passing by. It has a nice relaxed atmosphere and plenty of children were enjoying lunch here with their families.

Going reapply my lipstick in the ladies loo, I was startled to find, exactly where I expected a mirror to be above the sink, instead of my reflection, an equally startled man washing his hands! The facilities have separate labelled entrances but are actually one room divided simply by a sink. I found them very smart and clean despite the surprise. Apparently there are other branches of the chain in Guildford and Wimbledon and more are set to open in other areas soon.

Favorite Dish: One friend tried the vegeburger which was huge but looked very nice; especially the texture of the bread roll it was in and another had the breaded mushrooms and a salad, which she devoured with a whole container of sweetcorn relish! I had some delicious warm ciabatta bread with a salad and we shared a basket of nice crispy freshly cooked chips.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Byron: Byron - Hamburgers

by sue_stone Written Sep 1, 2008

Byron lunch

Finding ourselves in Kingston one lunchtime, I recalled reading a positive review about Byron and was keen to check it out. I am not a regular burger eater, though do enjoy the occasional one at places like Gourmet Burger Kitchen, and was curious how Byron would compare.

Byron in Kingston is a large restaurant with some outside seating and modern décor which reminded me a bit of a Carluccio's, in a good way. There were plenty of smiling staff buzzing around and a smattering of customers.

There is a short burger menu, offering the usual type of burger, along with a "Skinny" (with no bun), a chicken burger, and a veggie one too. We both opted for the "Byron" burger which came with dry cure bacon, mature cheddar and 'byron' sauce.

Favorite Dish: The meat pattie was juicy and flavoursome. Wasn't so keen on the bun though. And the chips were disappointing - think McDonald's fries.

There was nothing wrong with the food, though I probably wouldn't seek out Byron again for my next burger fix as I didn't enjoy it as much as GBK.

• Rosa Nero: Best Italian Outside of Italy

by lrucchetto Written Sep 19, 2007

I LOVED this place. I haven't had Italian food this good since I was in Italy. Its a nice change from all the bland Italian food I've had elsewhere. The ambience was so nice, the owners were friendly AND it wasn't expensive!

Favorite Dish: I had the tomato and mozarella buffala starter and the walnut and aubergine special of the day pasta. Both of these dishes were so fresh tasting. I have never tasted a pasta like this before! Wow.

• Business Travel
    • School Holidays

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Frere Jacques: Frere Jacques, French restaurant by the river

by sue_stone Written May 20, 2007

Lunch at Frere Jacques

On a mild spring day after a spot of shopping, we went for a wander by the river in the hope of spotting somewhere that tempted us for lunch. One place we came across, located next to Kingston Bridge, was Frere Jacques, a friendly looking French restaurant. After a quick look at the menu we decided to give it a try.

We were seated at a table at the front, on the tow path - the perfect place for some serious people watching. I was pleased to note that most of the wait-staff appeared to be French, which gave me hope that this wasn't some sort of 'tourist' restaurant. Either way, the staff were friendly and service was good, until we tried to get the bill (but isn't that always the way!).

Favorite Dish: Feeling like some red meat, Alex and I both ordered the Rib eye steak, which came with fries, mushrooms and watercress. I had the bearnaise sauce and Alex had the green peppercorn. The steaks were really good - cooked as requested and flavoursome. A cheeky glass of Bordeaux was a great accompaniment.

We couldn't resist sharing a dessert, so ordered the special of the day - the Chocolate fondant with hazelnut ice cream. The fondant was pretty good, with a crispy outside and a gooey centre, and the ice cream was nice and creamy.

Carluccio's: Italian yum yum

by Jenniflower Updated Jan 25, 2007

Carluccio's is yet another chain of coffee shops, where if you have been in one, you feel like you have been in them all.

They specialise in Italian cuisine.

I prefer a place that has some charm and character, and many chains do manage to achieve this through each individual branch.

But this chain doesn't.

Favorite Dish: I have had a Risotto alla Milanese con Luganega here once, and it was okay, but nothing to write home about. As they push the traditional Italian theme, I had hoped for more.

Having said that, if you feel like a light snack or a cup of coffee, they will not disappoint you!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Jo Shmo's!: American Grill!

by Jenniflower Updated Jan 25, 2007

An upmarket and contemporary restaurant, that serves great food!

Serbice is excellent, lighting and ambiance is enjoayble and relaxing.

Favorite Dish: They have a special menu called the Party Menu, where they need a minimum of 8 people to order from it. It works out well price-wise then!

In the menu you get:
    A starter (platters with assorted goodies to nibble on).
    A main (choice of about 7 main courses - ranging from spare ribs to fish to steak)
    A dessert (choice of 5 - ranging from ice cream to cheesecake to chocolate cake)

YUM!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Slug and Lettuce: For the young and young at heart!

by Jenniflower Updated Jan 25, 2007

This chain is a typical wine bar.

I have never been a huge fan I have to admit... often-times it seems to have teeny boppers and people 'trying' to be funky coming here... and is not that relaxing.

What makes this branch different is the location.

It is excellent, on the river, and has a lovely vibe to it.

Favorite Dish: I have only ever had a small bowl of hot chips here, and a beer shandy, so cannot comment on anything else!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

The Bishop out of Residence!: Youngs pub on the river!

by Jenniflower Updated Jan 25, 2007

We have eaten here about three times, both inside and outside, and have never been dissatisfied with out meal.

Service is not great, but this is the only negative thing here... the food is really good quality, the ambiance is nice (except for the obligatory smoke smell - BUT it is not that bad here as they have decent ventilation systems in place).

Favorite Dish: I always have a beer shandy and always love it.

The last time we were there, my sister had fish and chips. Her chips were thin and puny, her fish was succulent and hot though she said.

I had a lamb and mint burger. I don't often eat burgers, but felt like one, and I am glad I ordered it!

The patty was very tasty and not too minty. The roll was more a wrap, which I quite liked too. There was fresh green salad with a tad of salad dressing on the side, and the chips were fat and chunky.

Often, pubs have a tendancy to overload the hot chips, and here they don't, which is good.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Bonbon Patisserie: Fine French pastry :)

by Jenniflower Updated Jan 23, 2007

Bonbon Patisserie is a confectionary and bakery.

Situated in a quaint little building, adjoined to Kingston's Baptist Church (stone building), they make an unlikely but complimentary pair!

Their food and snakcs and hot drinks are presented in a superb manner, and they taste great!

Quality is amazing.

Favorite Dish: I try and stay away from this type of food due to its relationship with my aist and hips.. however I really love their coffee (I have it black), and am assured their pastries are excellent!

• satori: japo

by Pneuma Written Dec 4, 2006

This is a nice japo sushi place. i quite liked this restaurant pretty common world over but i like the idea of food rotating around my eyes.I tried a variety of stuff here.Only veg so i cant tell u about the other stuff.pretty good .

Favorite Dish: maki,futoki,californian maki

• Frangos: Finally veggies get a choice

by Pneuma Written Dec 4, 2006

I would definately recommend frango's restaurant its quite popular at kingston.There is a variety of veg food available.Its definately worth visiting its on the lines of nando's am told.

Favorite Dish: I recommend their veggie buger in pita bread.u could order a value meal,their ceasars salad or frangos salad is pretty good as well.

Wagamama: Noodles etc

by Janani Updated Nov 4, 2005

I had often eaten in their branches in central London and was delighted when the Kingston branch opened so close to where I lived at the time, although I was a bit disappointed to find that the reduced menu they initially offered excluded my favourite dish. I think this has been put right now! In comparison with the other branches, which are often situated in basements, the advantages of this one include the amount of daylight it gets through its large windows on two sides of the building and the less hectic atmosphere; I feel I can relax more here, as it is less noisy than most of the others, probably because it is smaller and doesn’t have the kitchen on view.

As with the rest of the chain, you dine at long tables, seated on benches, with paper mats and chopsticks at each place (knives and forks are available on request.) The person serving types your order into a small handheld computer and writes it on your mat too. Food is cooked and brought to the table as soon as it is ready, rather than as separate courses; I often find my vegetarian food is served quite a lot sooner than my friends’ meat dishes.

I chose to visit Wagamama with a friend who has a severe allergy to sesame seeds and was pleased to find information on their website about which dishes would be suitable for her and, at the restaurant, the waiter serving us was very helpful too, even pointing out that one of the specials could be adapted for her to ensure it would be safe for her to eat.

Favorite Dish: I really enjoyed the yasai gyoza (vegetable dumplings) with a chilli and garlic flavoured soy sauce dip and the yasai korroke, which are potato and vegetable cakes, deep fried in breadcrumbs, served on a large green leafy salad and topped with their delicious tangy salad dressing, shredded seaweed and my favourite tamarind sauce. With such an amazing mixture of flavours it’s always hard to resist licking the plate! My friends have often told me they really like the noodles with chilli and tomatoes (with or without chicken) and the chicken katsu curry served with rice is another favourite with several of them.

Zizzi: Italian Food

by Janani Updated Nov 4, 2005

Friends at Zizzi Kingston

We had a lovely meal here and all enjoyed everything we had to eat and drink. The restaurant is nicely decorated with creamy walls and iron and wooden railings and tables, complemented by some large twig arrangements around the rooms and unusual flowers and tealights on each of the tables. The tables were nicely spread out to avoid crowding and although it seemed busy downstairs on the Saturday night we visited it was less so upstairs. All the other customers seemed extremely cheerful, which gave the place a lively atmosphere and we enjoyed ourselves too.

The staff on duty, at first seemed rather confused about whether we could be allowed to sit upstairs rather than right by the entrance and two of the waitresses we asked went separately up the stairs to check this, never to return. The third person we asked simply took us up with him and simply seated us at one of several unoccupied tables! Once this had been sorted out, we were very pleased with the service; they were able to answer several questions about ingredients by one of my friends who is on a restricted diet due to a medical conditon and and helped her to choose a suitable meal from the menu. Our food and drinks then arrived swiftly and we were pleased with all that we’d ordered.

Favorite Dish: All the bread based dishes were especially tasty and I particularly enjoyed the traditional tomato topped bruschetta, while another friend had a creamy chicken topped version and said that was tasty too.

The Riverside Vegetaria: Vegetarian Food by the Thames

by Janani Written Sep 2, 2005

Walking off a Good Lunch by the River!

Although this restaurant has a lovely cosy feeling in the winter, it's even better in the summer, when the glass doors overlooking the Thames, and the trees and fields on the opposite banks, are opened and you can enjoy your food accompanied by the sights and sounds of the river. You really won't believe you're so close to the town centre.

The menu is entirely vegetarian (including the wine list) with many options that are suitable for vegans or for other dietary requirements. The dishes are drawn from many parts of the world but there is a strong Asian influence. Alongside the menu is a huge specials board although I'm not sure why as this rarely changes!

The staff are always friendly, helpful and welcoming but don't hover over you when you are eating.

At the front of the restaurant, if you have to wait at all, there is a large selection of reading material on vegetarian issues and food.

If you book at a potentially busy time, ask for a table downstairs to make sure you have a nice view of the river.

• Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Kingston upon Thames

Comments

Kingston upon Thames Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Kingston upon Thames restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kingston upon Thames sightseeing.

View all Kingston upon Thames hotels