Getting around, London

Know about this? Rate It!

• Anjuschka's Profile Photo

Take the bus instead of the Tube or go on a walk

by Anjuschka Updated Aug 9, 2014

Favorite thing: I visit London regularly. So I like to plan ahead my day...
    My main goal is to know what do do in a day and how I get there.

I always have some major points and spots and prepare my trip well ahead.

My coice of transortation would be mainly the bus, i can also take the train from where I stay.

Most of the the I avoid the TUBE nowadays.
    In my early years I often went by Tube and was always distracted by the crowded stations and Tube trains. It could get you quick from one point to another but you need some time inside the stations and walking from platform to platform.

I LOVE to take the bus and there are so many lines to get around London to put on your OWN *Hop on - hop off tour... Just chose your own route and it depends where you want to go and what you want to do.

You could also chose to go for a walk between your places you want to visit.
    I do that a lot and had great London experiences just because I was spontaneous.

Fondest memory: I got one of the best memories and experiences just because I chose to take a little detour from my original route to my origin destination.

On day I just took a walk from Victoria station to Hyde Park Corner and I came along the lovely Grosvenor Park and saw a lot of other nice spots I wouldn't have when I took the bus.

I sometimes took the bus no 2 from West Norwood to Hyde Park Corner or Marble Arch and I got to see great sites outside - you get also an inside look in the daily life of Londoners. People who were on their way to work, pupils on there way to school, mothers with their children, students or even tourists. They get on and get off during the travel and that's a great experience.
    You can even change at Brixton station to look around or you get a great view at the London Eye from the Vauxhall Bridge.

THAT'S BETTER THAN ANY TOURIST TOUR!

You can also *watch* other people what they are doing and where they going. Be careful and then you will also get nice experiences.
    One time I was walking along Oxford Street from Marble Arch towards Tottenham Court Road.
    I was walking on the left side when I suddenly realised a man standing on the footpath and look between two buildings there was just a narrow space and I had to look what's that all about.
    I found out it was St Christopher's Place - never heard before (it was in 2011) but thought that was a lovely spot to spend some time...

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

The London pass

by sourbugger Updated Apr 11, 2014

Favorite thing: The London pass give you entry to a range of places. if you think of London as a kind of giant theme park then £49 for a day is almost reasonable.

A few tricks when you have bought the card

1) Pick a few places that are fairly close together to be able to use the card several times in the day

2) Don't waste time using the card on places that are free or cheap anyway

3) Remember that it often lets you get to the front of the queue

I used one (2002) and basically used it everywhere I could walking from Charing Cross to London Bridge on the South Bank - had a great day.

Highlights on this card include London Zoo, London Aquarium, HMS Belfast, the Globe theatre and the Cutty Sark.

Fondest memory: Always seeing something new - if they put a new kerbstone in where I live it is exciting.

• Zoo
    • Aquarium

Big Bus Sightseeing Tour part 6

Favorite thing: Continuation of my BLUE TOUR:
    21: WESTMINSTER PIER – Stop M, Victoria Embankment (River Cruises)
    22: WESTMINSTER BRIDGE – next to the Lion Statue (River Cruises, Dali Universe, London Aquarium)
    23: LAMBETH PALACE – Stop outside Lambeth Palace (Imperial War Museum, Museum of Garden History)
    24: PARLIAMENT SQUARE – Stop M, Abingdon Street (Houses of Parliament, Victoria Tower,Tate Britain)
    25: WESTMINSTER ABBEY – Stop outside 43 Tothill Street (New Scotland Yard, Westminster Cathedral)
    26: BUCKINGHAM PALACE – outside No.1 Buckingham Gate
    27: ROYAL MEWS – outside No. 31 (Buckingham Palace Rd Big Bus Information Centre)
    28: VICTORIA – outside Westminster Thistle Hotel (Big Bus Information Centre)
    29: VICTORIA STATION – outside Grosvenor Hotel
    30: MARBLE ARCH – Speakers’ Corner (Oxford Street, Hyde Park)
    31: MAYFAIR – Park Lane (Oxford Street, Little America).
    32: GREEN PARK UNDERGROUND – Stop PE (St James’s Palace, Bond Street).
    33: HYDE PARK CORNER – Stop opposite Hard Rock Cafe (Constitution Hill, Green Park, Wellington Arch).
    34: HYDE PARK CORNER – Stop L, outside Lanesborough Hotel (Wellington Museum, Belgravia, Hyde Park, Wellington Arch).
    35: HARRODS – bus stop outside Harrods, Brompton Road (Knightsbridge, Harvey Nichols, Sloane Street).
    36: SOUTH KENSINGTON – Stop N, near Rembrandt Hotel (V&A Museum, Natural History Museum, Science Museum).
    37: GLOUCESTER ROAD – Stop GR outside underground station
    38: KENSINGTON PALACE – Stop N, Kensington Road (Kensington High Street).
    39: NOTTING HILL – Stop M, Notting Hill Gate (Portobello Road Market, Holland Park).
    40: KENSINGTON GARDENS – Ramada Hotel, Bayswater Rd (Queensway, Whiteley’s Shopping Centre).
    41: PRINCESS DIANA MEMORIAL PLAYGROUND – Bayswater Rd (The Elfin Tree, Round Pond).
    42: BAYSWATER – Stop by Elizabeth Hotel, Lancaster Terrace (The Italian Gardens, Serpentine, The Long Water).
    43: PADDINGTON STATION – Stop on London St (next to Praed St)

You can watch my 4 min 28 sec Video London by double-decker part 6 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

Around London by double-decker excursion bus Around London by double-decker excursion bus Around London by double-decker excursion bus Around London by double-decker excursion bus Around London by double-decker excursion bus

Explore London on foot part 2

Favorite thing: Our second walk – 7 Km:
    Royal Sussex Hotel-Sussex Gardens-Old Marylebone Road-Baker Street-Wigmore-Oxford Street-Regent Street-Piccadilly Circus-Piccadilly-Half Moon Street-Curson-South Audley Street-Park Lane-Park Street-Portman-Clowcester Place-Crawford-Crawford Place-Sussex Gardens.

You can watch my 2 min 21 sec Video London Walk along Piccadilly out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

London on foot

Explore London on foot part 1

Favorite thing: Our first walk – 17 Km:
    Royal Sussex Hotel-Sussex Gardens – Edgware Road-Marble Arch Tube Station

Marble Arch-Bond Street-Oxford Circus-Tottenham Court Road-Holborn-Chencery Lane-St.Paul-Bank-Monument-Tower Hill (9 stations).

Tower of London-Tower Bridge-Lwr Thames Street-Thames Street-Monument Street-Cannon Street-Mc Donalds-New Change- St Paul’s Cathedral-New Gate Street-Holborn Viaduct-Holborn-High Holborn-Bloomsbury Street-Montague Place-British Museum-Montague Street-Rossell-Endell Bow Street-Lancaster Pl-Waterloo Bridge-Northuberland Bridge-Victoria-Elizabeth Tower and Big Ben-Westminster Bridge-Albert Enbankment-Lambert Bridge-Horsefferry Road-Greycoat-Greencoat-Victoria Street-Stafford Palace Street-Buckingham Palace-Queen Victoria Memorial-Constitution Hill-Hyde Park Corner-Speakers’ Corner-The Ring-Westbourne- Sussex Gardens – Royal Sussex Hotel.

You can watch my 2 min 56 sec Video London Walk part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
    You can watch my 4 min 33 sec Video London Walk along the Thames out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

London on foot London on foot London on foot London on foot London on foot

Big Bus Sightseeing Tour part 2

Favorite thing: Continuation of my BLUE TOUR:
    10: TRAFALGAR SQUARE – Stop Z, by the National Gallery (National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, Nelson’s Column).
    11: CRAIG’S COURT – junction of Craig’s Court & Whitehall (Admiralty Arch, The Mall, St James’s Park).

You can watch my 2 min 35 sec Video London - Trip by double-decker excursion bus part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

Big Bus Sightseeing Tour part 5

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jun 24, 2013

Favorite thing: Continuation of my BLUE TOUR:
    18: LONDON BRIDGE – outside No.29 Tooley Street (London Dungeon, Tate Modern, H.M.S. Belfast, Globe Theatre).
    19: TOWER OF LONDON – Big Bus stop, Tower Hill (River Cruises, Tower Bridge Experience, DLR)
    20: EMBANKMENT PIER – Stop Y, Victoria Embankment (Embankment Gardens, Cleopatra’s Needle)

You can watch my 4 min 03 sec Video London trip by double-decker excursion bus part 5 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

Big Bus Sightseeing Tour part 4

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jun 23, 2013

Favorite thing: Continuation of my BLUE TOUR:
    15: COVENT GARDEN – Big Bus stop outside No.1 (Aldwych Royal Opera House, London’s Transport Museum, Somerset House).
    16: ALDWYCH – Stop K, Aldwych (The Law Courts, St Clement Danes, Fleet Street).
    17: ST PAUL’S (The City, Barbican, Museum of London, Millennium Bridge).

You can watch my 4 min 13 sec Video London trip by double-decker excursion bus part 4 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

Big Bus Sightseeing Tour part 3

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jun 23, 2013

Favorite thing: Continuation of my BLUE TOUR:
    12: WHITEHALL – Big Bus stop opposite Horseguards (Downing Street, Cenotaph, Big Ben, Cabinet War Rooms).
    13: WESTMINSTER BRIDGE – next to the Lion Statue (River Cruises, London Aquarium).
    14: LONDON EYE – Big Bus stop, York Road (London Eye, South Bank Arts Centre, Waterloo Station).

You can watch my 4 min 19 sec Video London - Trip by double-decker excursion bus part 3 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

Big Bus Sightseeing Tour part 1

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jun 23, 2013

Favorite thing: The tour along London by double-decker bus is another fondest memory about the city. Paul stayed in the hotel and I took a tour alone.
    Your Big Bus Sightseeing Tour is created around a carefully designed route that takes you to the key places of interest, and a hop-on hop-off facility that lets you discover them.
    Your open-top bus tour takes you to all of London’s famous landmarks and reveals London’s colourful 2,000-year history. The tour offers you a choice of a recorded commentary or a live commentary delivered by entertaining guides.
    The hop-on, hop-off facility will enable you to get on and off the bus at many places of interest. Choose from the 24 or 48 hour ticket to see the city and its sights at your own pace.
    Your sightseeing tour of London also includes a free cruise on the River Thames and 4 guided walking tours for you to enjoy; plus Big Bus Reward Vouchers that offer a range of discounts at attractions, shops and restaurants.
    The Big Bus Sightseeing Tour is a safe and relaxed way to experience this great city and it is the perfect introduction to London and a fun day out for all.
    London Bus Tours Tickets & Prices:
    Normal Price for 24-hours tour - £30
    Normal Price for 48-hours tour - £36

Fondest memory: My BLUE TOUR – with COMMENTARY IN A CHOICE OF 8 LANGUAGES^
    4: MARBLE ARCH – Speakers’ Corner (Oxford Street, Hyde Park).
    5: MADAME TUSSAUD’S – Big Bus stop, Marylebone Road (Sherlock Holmes Museum, London Zoo).
    6: OXFORD CIRCUS - Stop RF, Regent Street (Oxford Street, Fitzrovia).
    7: REGENT STREET – Stop V, Regent Street (Soho, Chinatown, Ripley’s Believe It Or Not!).
    9: HAYMARKET – Big Bus stop, outside No.11 Haymarket (Leicester Square, Planet Hollywood, Trocadero).

I got off here to visit the National Gallery

You can watch my 4 min 18 sec Video London - trip by double-decker bus part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

• thinktink's Profile Photo

London Town

by thinktink Written Jan 23, 2013

Favorite thing: Having spent a year living in London I can tell you that some days in Winter are just as warm as days in the middle of Summer. However the humidity in the height of summer, particularly when using the underground can be stifling.

Would suggest a mid-week visit if you can as the weekends are likely to be just as busy as the school holidays, not many people plan on taking their children to London for a week, its cheaper to take them overseas, most will take them for a weekend.

Fondest memory: Ealing Comedy Festival - July in the park grounds, great comedians trying out their Edinburgh Festival material

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Big Bus Tour Company

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 23, 2011

Favorite thing: Touted as bringing London's history into "colorful dramatic life" The Big Bus Tour is one of the best ways to see London if you are short on time.

With three different colored routes, (the green line is a short ride basically linking the red and blue lines) you get an excellent overview of the major sites. The longest of the two, the blue line, takes approxamitely 2 hours to complete the full route where you'll see Kensington Gardens and Kensignton Palace, Regents Park, Oxford and Piccadily Circus, National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey and Parliment Square, London Aquarium, St. Paul's Southwark Cathedral, Tower Bridge and the Tower of London (just to name a few). Hop on and off as many times as you wish at any given stop for a close up-look or to switch to the red or green lines. Your ticket price includes free River Thames Cruise and a walking tour.

Can't recall the price, but take a peek at their website, and go out and conquer London.

www.bigbustours.com

Fondest memory: I enjoyed riding on the top of the bus, even though it was a bit frigid, and pointing out the various sites to mom and Kris.

Crossing Tower Bridge
    • Photography

• mirchica's Profile Photo

Museum visits

by mirchica Written Jan 4, 2011

Favorite thing: I know I haven't descover anything new,I just wanna confirm it - if it's raining change your plan immidiatelly and go and visit some museums. You know they are many of them and they are for free. The disadvantage here is that in rainy weather museums are very crowded. But better in a crowd then wet and sick then.

• Museum Visits

• You Need to See to Believe It Here in London

by petersmith53 Written Jun 28, 2010

Favorite thing: Staying in London was an out of the world experience. I had heard several times about the beauty and the splendor of this great city in England, however, the mere reviews of the place could not convince me much. It was when I and my friend decided to visit London and experience the actual load of attractions that the city has stored in for us.

In order to enjoy a luxurious stay anywhere you go, it is important to select the best accommodation there. This is what we did for our trip. I am delighted that my friend took the decision to stay at Grange City Hotel, one of the most prestigious London hotels situated in the heart of the city. This 5 star hotel in London is situated at a stone’s throw from Tower Hill tube station. This eased down our hassle of traveling from one place to another. The hotel offered us a serene stay in the capital with magnificent facilities and awesome quality of services.

The best was the experience of staying in the hotel itself for one whole day. We decided to relish the several facilities of the hotel like gym, swimming pool, sauna and spa inside the hotel. Thereafter, next day we moved out to explore the city we had heard a lot about. We had a great time at the London Eye and Tower Bridge. Though a bit away from the hotel, the great London attractions we enjoyed included Buckingham Palace. Westminster Abbey was something that we knew because of Wordsworth’s poetry during high school and it was great fun watching it in real.

Other fascinating features of the city are it’s never ending theatre shows and restaurants and bars in London. Though we had a great breakfast in the hotel and everything that our taste buds could think of was right in front of us every morning, still, we did not miss the chance to savor the flavors of the street restaurants spread all over the city.
    In other words, I am convinced and can surely convince anyone to visit London at least once in their life.

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckingham_Palace