Getting around, London

Know about this? Rate It!

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Big Bus Tour Company

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 23, 2011

Favorite thing: Touted as bringing London's history into "colorful dramatic life" The Big Bus Tour is one of the best ways to see London if you are short on time.

With three different colored routes, (the green line is a short ride basically linking the red and blue lines) you get an excellent overview of the major sites. The longest of the two, the blue line, takes approxamitely 2 hours to complete the full route where you'll see Kensington Gardens and Kensignton Palace, Regents Park, Oxford and Piccadily Circus, National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey and Parliment Square, London Aquarium, St. Paul's Southwark Cathedral, Tower Bridge and the Tower of London (just to name a few). Hop on and off as many times as you wish at any given stop for a close up-look or to switch to the red or green lines. Your ticket price includes free River Thames Cruise and a walking tour.

Can't recall the price, but take a peek at their website, and go out and conquer London.

www.bigbustours.com

Fondest memory: I enjoyed riding on the top of the bus, even though it was a bit frigid, and pointing out the various sites to mom and Kris.

Crossing Tower Bridge
    • Photography

• luke850's Profile Photo

Travelcards

by luke850 Written May 22, 2004

Favorite thing: If you are planning to travel around London, the cheapest way is to buy a daily, weekend, weekly, or even monthly travelcard. It depends on how long you are going to be in London. They are valid on busses, trains, tubes and even the DLR. To buy any travelcard longer than a daily, you'll have to get a picture card. Just take a passport photo and proof of ID to any trainstation and they'll sort it out. A travelcard will save you an incredible amount of money in the long run.

London Travelcard

Stomp over the wibbly-wobbly Bridge

by sourbugger Updated Oct 28, 2004

Favorite thing: The Millenium Bridge as it is properly called, is an impressive piece of modern engineering, although less spectacular than it's namesake - the Millenium Bridge across the Tyne in Newcastle.

Heaps of derision were initially poured on it as when it first opened the number of people traversing it, caused it to ossilate up and down - thus making it unsafe, if rather fun.

With the problems fixed it has created a very useful pedestrian link between Tate Modern and St Paul's Cathedral, opening a new an pleasing vista of Wren's Masterpiece.

Wobbling over the wibbly bridge
    • Architecture
    • Hiking and Walking

• Dabs's Profile Photo

London Pass

by Dabs Updated Aug 8, 2004

Favorite thing: For the first time visitor, the London Pass might actually be a pretty good deal if you find a 1/2 price offer like I did as it gives free entrance to many of the top sights in London (Tower of London, Hampton Court, St. Paul's, Windsor Castle) and avoids the queues at some places although I never found that to be necessary.

I purchased a 6 day pass at 1/2 price for my recent trip to London (unfortunately the offer has expired but I found it on the www.visitlondon.com website) and used it to visit all kinds of places that I wouldn't have seen had I not purchased it.

But to save money at full price you really have to do the math before you purchase, we would not have saved money on my husband's 3 day pass had it not been 1/2 price. It's not as good of a value as the Museum Pass in Paris nor does cutting the queues really add that much benefit.

Fondest memory: www.londonpass.com

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Hop On/Hop Off

by Krumlovgirl Updated Aug 31, 2004

Favorite thing: http://www.theoriginaltour.com/

Fondest memory: I am usually against organized tours, but I have to admit that Angie and I had a ball on this one. We had limited time in London as it was and wanted to utilize it wisely. Our thought process was that we could use the tour as general transportation and then go back to the places that we wanted to revisit. As it turned out, we just liked being chauferred around. There are two different routes, one with a live guide and one with a recording. We didn't have a preference, although the one with the recording seemed to go places that the other one didn't.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

"I had that Sourbugger in the back of my cab once"

by sourbugger Updated May 29, 2005

Favorite thing: "Really nice bloke he was........anyway guv...you remember Fred Housego.?...he was one of us cabbies and he won 'Mastermind' once, you want to know why ? You get in one of our cabs and your cabbie has to have the 'knowledge' don't he ? Know what that means ? You must know every bleeding street within six miles of Charing Cross, every bleedin' square, bleedin' club, bleedin' hospital, bleedin' hotel , bleedin' Theatre, government and public building, bleedin' railway station, bleedin' police station, court, bleedin' diplomatic building, bleedin' important places of worship, cemetery, crematoria, park and open space, sports and leisure centre, place of learning, restaurant and bleedin' historic building.

That's why us cabbies are the most knowledgeable cab drivers in the world.

And another thing... they may be called black cabs, but we can paint them whatever bleedin' colour we like.

No I'm going south of the Bloody river, tonight ; I'm on me way home. Goodnight.

oi....guv...where's my tip ?

A black cab init ?

A useful masterpiece

by sourbugger Updated Apr 6, 2004

Favorite thing: The plan of the London Underground is a masterpiece of simplicity, that was originally drawn up by a young draughtsman called Harry Beck. It was based on the electrical diagrams he was used to doing all day. Although it was at first treated with scepticism, it caught on in a big way and is now an indispensible part of London Life.

I've included a copy of the original in the picture. It's had to change somewhat over the years, but the basic format is still clear. The design was so brilliant it has been adopted by just about every other mass transit system across the globe.

It's also been turned into works of art over the years, including a very famous poster for the Tate Art gallery which showed tube lines in lines of paint.

Fondest memory: The advertising on the tube often plays with the map, or inserts new and sometimes amusing station names.

One of my favourites is however the one by Paul Hogan, who advertising that famous Australian beverage (the one in the blue tube) is stood in front of a Japanese tourist and an underground map. He is asked "How do you get to Cockfosters?" to which Paul replies "Like this!" as he extravangantly downs some of the amber nectar.

Beck's tube map - the famous one !

• Marpessa's Profile Photo

Being a pedestrian in London

by Marpessa Written Nov 12, 2004

Favorite thing: Generally I'd have to say 'watch out' if you are a pedestrian walking around London - especially if you are not used to places/cities with such congested traffic. In London you can often hear a car horn, this is usually when a pedestrian can't wait for a walk light or is crossing in the middle of the road - in London, on the road, transportation waits for no-one, so just be sure you look both ways and watch your step.

• csordila's Profile Photo

London Double deckers

by csordila Updated May 8, 2009

Favorite thing: Wherever in the world you see a double decker, you immediately think of London. It is almost impossible to imagine London without them! Indeed, these red buses are one of the symbols of London.

Its advantage is very simple, the typical red double-deckers can transport more passengers than single-decker buses.
    Another great thing is that they have an open entry/exit door at the rear which makes it possible to jump on or off whenever the bus stops; you do not need any bus-stop.
    Once inside, sitting at the front of the top is a perfect place to look the streets passing by.
    Despite the effective tube system, the red double decker will remain my favourite for ever.

Fondest memory: The London Double deckers are officially no longer in regular service since 2005, although they still run on two so called "heritage" routes; the route 9 from Royal Albert Hall via Piccadilly Circus to Aldwych and the route 15 from Trafalgar Square via Strand to Tower Hill.
    The double deckers in service have been modernized, but the prototype was the classic old model.

...to jump on or off whenever the bus stops ...an open entry/exit door at the rear Double deckers on Regent street 1986 Double decker on Trafalgar Square 1990

• joits's Profile Photo

Ride the red bus

by joits Written Jul 15, 2004

Favorite thing: I know its just a bus, but its what makes London special. The double decker red busses are part of experiencing London and so I highly recommend riding them. The great thing is that if you have an all day travel card from the Underground, it also works for the bus too! Of course if you really want to get somewhere fast, use the underground as traffic in central London is bumper to bumper most of the time. If you have time though, take a ride!

Fondest memory: On the bus, riding around London around Christmas time with all the beautiful decorations was one of my favorite memories. Despite the slow moving traffic, it just gave me more time to appreciate how great London is.

• IrishFem's Profile Photo

Bus Trip

by IrishFem Updated Feb 3, 2004

Favorite thing: Because London is so vast and l only had a week l decided to take the bus tour with the Big Bus Company. Bought my ticket in Victoria for £11 normally £17 but l have a student card. This particular tour takes two routes, the red route which takes about 2 hours and the blue route which takes about 3 and half. This also includes a river cruise which l personally thought a waste of time. You pass by the same sites in the bus. If your going to any of the attractions you can buy your tickets from the bus ticket sellers and you won't have to "q" for entry to most places.

Fondest memory: The tour gives you the option of hoping on and off when you feel like it. The supply plastic rain coats if it starts to rain. They conduct the tour is various languages. The ticket is valid for 24 hours. For more information try the following.
    www.bigbustours.com

Hop on hop off

• Imbi's Profile Photo

Sighseeing Buses

by Imbi Updated Oct 12, 2003

Favorite thing: If you don’t fancy walk around the city or you cant afford to take a cab to go to beautiful places of London or may be you are visiting first time and have very short time to see important places, then take one of the sightseeing buses.
    These are not very expensive and have guide who explains the history of each place.

The London pass

by sourbugger Updated Apr 11, 2014

Favorite thing: The London pass give you entry to a range of places. if you think of London as a kind of giant theme park then £49 for a day is almost reasonable.

A few tricks when you have bought the card

1) Pick a few places that are fairly close together to be able to use the card several times in the day

2) Don't waste time using the card on places that are free or cheap anyway

3) Remember that it often lets you get to the front of the queue

I used one (2002) and basically used it everywhere I could walking from Charing Cross to London Bridge on the South Bank - had a great day.

Highlights on this card include London Zoo, London Aquarium, HMS Belfast, the Globe theatre and the Cutty Sark.

Fondest memory: Always seeing something new - if they put a new kerbstone in where I live it is exciting.

• Zoo
    • Aquarium

• Anjuschka's Profile Photo

Take the bus instead of the Tube or go on a walk

by Anjuschka Updated Aug 9, 2014

Favorite thing: I visit London regularly. So I like to plan ahead my day...
    My main goal is to know what do do in a day and how I get there.

I always have some major points and spots and prepare my trip well ahead.

My coice of transortation would be mainly the bus, i can also take the train from where I stay.

Most of the the I avoid the TUBE nowadays.
    In my early years I often went by Tube and was always distracted by the crowded stations and Tube trains. It could get you quick from one point to another but you need some time inside the stations and walking from platform to platform.

I LOVE to take the bus and there are so many lines to get around London to put on your OWN *Hop on - hop off tour... Just chose your own route and it depends where you want to go and what you want to do.

You could also chose to go for a walk between your places you want to visit.
    I do that a lot and had great London experiences just because I was spontaneous.

Fondest memory: I got one of the best memories and experiences just because I chose to take a little detour from my original route to my origin destination.

On day I just took a walk from Victoria station to Hyde Park Corner and I came along the lovely Grosvenor Park and saw a lot of other nice spots I wouldn't have when I took the bus.

I sometimes took the bus no 2 from West Norwood to Hyde Park Corner or Marble Arch and I got to see great sites outside - you get also an inside look in the daily life of Londoners. People who were on their way to work, pupils on there way to school, mothers with their children, students or even tourists. They get on and get off during the travel and that's a great experience.
    You can even change at Brixton station to look around or you get a great view at the London Eye from the Vauxhall Bridge.

THAT'S BETTER THAN ANY TOURIST TOUR!

You can also *watch* other people what they are doing and where they going. Be careful and then you will also get nice experiences.
    One time I was walking along Oxford Street from Marble Arch towards Tottenham Court Road.
    I was walking on the left side when I suddenly realised a man standing on the footpath and look between two buildings there was just a narrow space and I had to look what's that all about.
    I found out it was St Christopher's Place - never heard before (it was in 2011) but thought that was a lovely spot to spend some time...

• Bank station in rushhour

by sabsi Written Apr 26, 2003

Fondest memory: I waited for the underground at the station "Bank" right in the city of London after most people had finished work for the day. I was the only tourist, everybody else was wearing suit and looking important. A very interesting experience ... and one of my favourite pictures of all time.

Oh, talking of the stop "Bank" - it's a tourist trap as well somehow. If you plan to use the "Waterloo and City Line" from "Monument" don't bother going underground but walk to "Bank" instead. I didn't know that this was a trick station and ended up walking around hot smelly underground tunnels for 10 minutes following the signs. I ended up at "Bank".

Waiting for the tube