Related London Favorites Tips

Piccadilly Circus in 2010
    by Paul2001

Most Viewed Favorites in London

• Trekki's Profile Photo

The highest efficiency ever possible

by Trekki Updated Dec 13, 2008

Favorite thing: Subtitle 1: or which megalomanic idiot invented the fairy tale that Germans work efficient??????????
    Subtitle 2: any German company that wants to be successful in business should seek to employ someone from the Royal Household.

. to be continued

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

For those on the "wild side" Blue Pirate Sex Shop

by Gypsystravels Updated Nov 18, 2008

Favorite thing: It isn't uncommon to come across these sex shops in central London, mostly in the Leicester and Piccadily areas. They offer a wide range of "sex" items which is sure to please even the most discerning customers.

If you're in search for something "different" definitely pop on by and check out these shops, you just might find something totally unexpected!

Store front

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Weather in London

by Gypsystravels Updated Nov 18, 2008

Favorite thing: It doesn't really matter what time of year you visit London, it is always a good idea to come prepared for some rain and cool weather.

I usually check the 10 day weather forcast prior to my departure and even if rain is not predicted I will always take along a carry on umbrella.

Check out the following website for up to-date 10 day weather information in London:

Always good to carry that umbrella with you Getting out even if it's raining

• Trekki's Profile Photo

THANK YOU, Andrew Duncan for your books

by Trekki Updated Aug 27, 2008

Favorite thing: To my amazement, none of “my” Londoners knew Andrew Duncan and his marvellous books, so I feel a tiny bit proud to have been the foreigner to introduce him to them :-)
    I love bookstores and cannot pass any. And when I am somewhere abroad I always have another reason to visit a local bookstore as they hold many treasures which cannot be bought elsewhere (or through Amazon). That’s how I came across Andrew Duncan’s books – they were sitting in the local book section of Waterstone’s and already when I read the titles I knew that I must (=MUST) buy some despite them being a bit heavy.
    Andrew Duncan is a historian and guide in London and I learned from his website that he has set up the group LEG – London Explorers Group, which is devoted to London guided tours. Given his expertise, this is definitely a perfect addition to the London Walk tours.

The book Secret London especially caught my eye and I could not stop browsing through it. He describes the forgotten rivers of London (chapter “Hidden Landscapes”) and shows how to find their outlets into the Thames. Apart from that it is fascinating to read about the rivers as I am sure not many people really know about them. He explains street names from the historical point of view, for example that “Hill” in street names derives from the fact that these hills have once been between the rivers. And he animates to walk off the main streets to discover the thousand gems, London hold for the interested visitor. His descriptions of the liveries in the City made me go out and look for many of them.
    ISBN: 9781845373054, price: £10.99.

The book Favourite London Walks is a collection of 50 walk in London, including the outskirts like Greenwich, Wimbledon, Kew, Hammersmith, Rotherhite, Hampton Court and many more.
    ISBN: 9781845374549, price: £14.99.

I can highly recommend these books if you are interested in the background and secrets of the city! And I will also buy his other books, as they are available through Amazon.

Three of Andrew Duncan's books
    • Architecture

• zepdude's Profile Photo

Carry your rubbish off of the Tube

by zepdude Written May 26, 2008

Favorite thing: You will not see any trashcans in the Tube stations (perfectly understandable), so carry your rubbish off until you find a receptacle. The trains tend to get a little sloppy with all of the newspapers laying around and we don't need to add to that.

• Study Abroad
    • Trains

• No devonshire teas at Twinings!?!

by kelhan Written Apr 17, 2008

Favorite thing: So we figure the English thing to do is have devonshire tea at the original Twinings store on the Strand. We get off the train at the wrong station and walk forever. Finally get there to discover it is only a retail shop. No devonshire teas, or even just cups of tea are sold on the premises! Go figure........

• jo104's Profile Photo

Public Toilets

by jo104 Updated Feb 28, 2008

Favorite thing: London's public toilets have recently made headlines due to the fact that many are being closed and not maintained so in short a real health hazard. It is rumoured that a third of London's public conveniences are closed so that there is only 1 public toilet for every 10,000 people.

The first London toilets were built over rivers. Engineer George Jennings designed the public toilet shown here with its distinctive iron railings and tiled interior.

Some public conveniences have been turned into business, for example a bar or perhaps you may want to visit Shepherds Bush Comedy Club.

The websites below may assist you to find a place to relieve yourself a little bit of planning goes a long way. Alternatively you may wish to visit a department store such as Selfridges, John Lewis, Marks and Spencer and the like or good old McDonalds.

Only the major tube stations have public toilets which are serviced by cleaning staff a visit here will cost you 20p

Fondest memory: http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/our_services/health_safety/public_conveniences.htm

VT'er modelling the public convenience map to the royal throne

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Susan Allen Toth books

by rexvaughan Written Sep 24, 2007

Favorite thing: Before our last trip to England I ran across a book called England For All Seasons by Susan Allen Toth. She is not a travel writer in the usual sense but has a long love affair with England and this is a delightful and useful book. She covers more than London but and has wonderful, thoughtful and humorous reflections on all she encounters. It gave us some great ideas for places to visit that are not on the usual travel tip writings, plus it was a most enjoyable read. She has two others on England: England As You Like It and My Love Affair With England which I have not yet read but they are on my list. She covers everything from puddings to various gardens in a most delightful style.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Miscellaneous Tips...

by Donna_in_India Written Aug 30, 2007

Favorite thing: Meeting New People and Seeing New Places

These tips are based on my last 8 weeks of traveling in Europe/Africa:

1. Buy/pre-order as many museum/attraction tickets online as you can.
    2. Ask the taxi fare before taking off in a taxi, especially if it’s late at night or coming from an airport.
    3. Charge your camera batteries every night.
    4. If you have a Eurail pass and need to make reservation make them in Europe. It’s a lot less expensive.
    5. If you’re climbing a few hundred steps up a tower, monument, etc. go only a clear, sunny day.
    6. Learn at least Hello, Thank you, and Goodbye in the foreign language of the countries you are visiting.
    7. Turn your cell phones off inside churches, museums, etc. If it rings and you must take the call, do it outside!
    8. If there’s a running commentary (live or recorded), be polite and be quiet.
    9. Dress appropriately and be respectful in churches.
    10. If you’re traveling with children, don’t let them disrupt others around you. If they cry or throw a tantrum, take them outside.
    11. If you have a complaint, do it reasonably without yelling and cursing.
    12. Regarding pictures:
    a. If there are signs saying “No pictures”, don’t take pictures! There’s a reason for the signs. Do you really, really need that picture of Mona Lisa to prove you’ve seen it?
    b. Learn how to use your camera before the trip. If there are signs saying “No flash”, make sure you know how to use the camera without it.
    c. If you see a couple or family with one person taking pictures of the other(s), offer to take a picture of both/all of them. Maybe they’ll reciprocate.
    13. Check local holidays. Since many museums and stores will be closed, you’ll need to have other plans for the day. (Most stores throughout much of Europe are closed on Sunday.)
    14. Don’t try to do too much. Leave some open time to just explore.
    15. You’re on vacation so relax and have a good time!

• general tips

by mrnyc Written Jun 10, 2007

Favorite thing: i visited in april 2007.

for museums i enjoyed tate modern, the courtald & soane's museum.

for restaurants of the moment i liked canteen, st. john's, just falofs in soho, standard bathi house on brick lane and one in the little chinatown i forget the name. pub food is ok, if repetitive and generally unhealthy. i had a fine fish & chips off kensington high street in one.

for shopping carnaby street, topshop, harvey nics, selfridges, marks&spencer...heck i stopped in all the biggies.

for sights somewhat off the beaten path i enjoyed: southwark & borough market, lincoln/gray's inns, the temple, king's road, barbicon, camden town, docklands & greenwich.

the major parks are a must as well: hyde park, regent's park & green/st. james.

americans might be surprized: not much readily available good food, that the park squares around rowhouses are mostly private, that londoners take a break from the office and get a drink around 3pm & go back to work, & along those lines that although they have a rep for heavy drinking in pubs it's rather false as pubs always have a low alcohol bitters on tap.

• Architecture
    • Museum Visits

• evariia's Profile Photo

What is left to say

by evariia Updated Apr 28, 2007

Favorite thing: Week in London isn't enough to capture the spirit of the City. However, I see no reason to regret the experience, which includes talking to some quite open minded but somewhat insecure youngsters. Generally citizens might seem pretentious, or even tired kind of insolence can be noticed. But surely the reaction depends upon what attributes the traveler has, suitcase is sufficient as an idiot pass. Most of the striking architecture reflects the work and mentality of predecessors of current Londoners. People who work or study in London have visage, that their profession has imposed to them. If somebody could answer the question, if Londoners fit with the image of London, please leave the comment on that.

Heathrow - An unhappy day for me

Favorite thing: i
    I can't class this as a favourite thing or memory really, it's a very unhappy memory for me.

My brother Paul, who is just 11 months younger than me, decided that him and his family were going to emigrate to Australia. I love my brother Paul, I really like his wife Corrie, and I love my two nephews Darren and Gary. But the day finally came. 21st April 1997, when we had to say goodbye to my kith and kin. I was quite brave at the time, until the lift door closed, to take them off to their plane, then I shed a few etars as little Gary blew us a kiss goodbye.

I told myself for weeks and weeks afterwards that they had gone off to a better life, which they most certainly have. But after 6 weeks of being good and brave, I heard, Louis Armstrong's 'All the time in the world' on the radio. I just broke down and cried for hours and hours. This song had been to an advert for 'Guinness' that little Gary had loved the special effects to, it was all kind of space age, like a pretty version of 'The 5th element' street scene.

We have all the time in the world ~ Louis Armstrong:

We have all, the time in the world
    Time enough for life
    To unfold
    All the prescious things
    Love has in store

We have all the love in the world
    If that's all we have
    You will find
    We need nothing more

Every step of the way
    Will find us
    With the cares of the world
    Far behind us

We have all the time in the world
    Just for love

With the cares of the world
    Far behind us
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Silver wings ~ Merle Haggard:

Silver wings shinning in the sunlight,
    roaring engines headed somewhere in flight.
    Their taking you away, leaving me lonley,
    silver wings slowly fading out of sight.
    Don't leave me i cry, don't take that airplane ride.
    But you locked me out of your mind. left me
    standing here behind.
    Silver wings shining in the sunlight,
    roaring engines headed somewhere in flight.
    Their taking you away, leaving me lonley.
    silver wings slowley fading out of sight.
    Silver wings shining in the sunlight,
    roaring engines headed somewhere in flight,
    their taking you away. Leaving me lonley.
    Silver wings slowley fading out of sight.
    Slowley fading out of sight.

*******************************************

Family at Heathrow
    • Work Abroad
    • Luxury Travel

Tattoos in Hayes

Fondest memory:
    I went to Hayes with my friend Joanne, and had my very first Tattoo, back in 1988.
    Me and Jo had left work at 3.30 on a Friday afternoon, and then travelled up to Hayes in her old Triumph Toledo. Jo was looking for a new Tattoo to go with her other two, that her parents hadn't yet seen, even though she lived with them?

The Tattoo shop 'Zeeks' was a little affair down the Gower Road, run by an old guy called Jack Zeek.
    I started scanning the walls in the Tattooists, as I had been wanting Tattoos ever since I was about 15 years old, I was now coming upto 28! hahaha. Anyway, I found this tiny picture of a cherry with a 6 and a 9 by the sides of it 'Cherry 69' I just had to have it! I was so used to people telling me that I was disgusting, because of my dirty mind, that that was definitely the one for me!

I got to see Shaun, Jack Zeek's young son, a nice looking bloke he was too! I got into the chair in Shaun's room and off he went. I was really proud of my new edition, and couldn't wait to show it off that evening down my local haunt, The Nags Head.

I had 4 more Tattoos in the next few years after that one too! they weren't all that popular on girls back then, but now I think that they are common and wish that I'd never had more than the first two done.

Me and my Tattoos 1989
    • Women's Travel

Steatham Doll's house

Fondest memory:
    Ever since I was at my first school at nearly the age of 5, I had always wanted a Dolls house. I've always loved very small and intricate things. I was well into my late 30's, but had been looking into places that sold Dolls houses. I had been to places in Chertsey and Windsor etc, but then I found an address for a place in Streatham.

So, me, Chris, my sister Mel and my brother Derek all packed into our car and drove all the way to Streatham to find this 'warehouse'.
    Hah! when we found it, what a disappointment! the place where customers could go was no bigger than someones small sitting room! Anyway, we had a bit of a look around, and I did buy a flat packed dolls house, it cost me £80.00. But once it was back home with us, Chris soon had it all built up and painted pink (of course!) for me.

I have lots of little bits of furniture and ornaments etc for it, but alas, it's stuck in the loft at the minute as there is nowhere to put it in our home really :(

Whilst in Steatham,we decided to go and have dinner down one of the main streets, sorry, I didn't notice the name, restaurant names aren't important to me.

Four of us had egg, sausage, chips and a cup of tea, and it only came to £7.00 for the lot!!! that's amazing, anywhere else would have cost more like £20.00 or more, even in 1999.

My first Dolls House
    • Luxury Travel

• Four Seasons

by Manyana Written Mar 8, 2007

Favorite thing: I haven't seen such vividness in weather as much as in London,well at least compared to Jeddah, Kuala Lumpur, Bangalore in India! Although it's polluted and very cosmopolitan and sometimes disgusting because of the traffic but it has such distinctive seaons.

London is sunny bright, freaking hot in summer; Rainy and orange and christmasy in autumn; Grey and sometimes white in winter; and full of pink and green and rainbows in spring. My favourite season is definitely the autumn, where London's streets dress up their Christmas lights and trees take off their orange skirts and green bras. Awesome!

If you're coming from Saudi Arabia, you'll know what I'm talking about. The whole year is hot, sunny and flat!

London is seasonally unique and I love it.

Fondest memory: oh i found out that i am allergic to pollen, and so had hay fever too in spring,lol. well, how could i tell if i never experienced spring in its fullest pinky weather?;^)

Autumn Winter Spring Summer

Latest: Jun 30, 2014

Instant Answers: London

• taurean_traveller's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2012 at 12:39 PM

More of a tip than a query for those using LSTN.
    I was looking for a special place to post this but couldn't find

I was at Stansted yesterday and found that the road leading to the Forecourt area outside the main terminal is now permanently closed for free dropping of passengers.
    Everybody is "encouraged" to go to the "Express drop off point" in the main car parking area to drop off passengers.
    Beware that this costs £2 for 10 minutes and £3 for 15.
    To collect you can park normally for £2.80 for 20 mins and £5.40 up to 50 minutes.
    A awarden informed me that many more airports in the UK are talking about adopting this as I know Luton are already

London Favorites

planxty's Profile Photo

Everyone who either lives in London or visits has a favourite memory of this wonderful city and we would love you to share yours here.

Whether it was the wonderful meal you had, the West...

Map of London