London Nightlife

Most Recent Nightlife in London

Traffic: After work drinks

My round :) [thanks to David P for photo]

Update April 2014: this bar is now under new management and has changed its name. I'll try to check it out some time but for now this review is left only for my own records

When a new bar opens on the ground floor of the block housing your office, you really have to try it, don't you? And for after work drinks, Traffic doesn't disappoint. There's a happy hour from 5.00-7.00 PM, and outside these hours a business card from any of the Victoria House companies will get you a 10% discount :) There's a wide range of cocktails available and a good wine list. The downside for my beer-drinking colleagues is that there are no draft beers, never mind real ales - it's strictly by the bottle here I'm afraid, which is fine if you like lager but not if you're looking for bitter.

The atmosphere is buzzing without being too loud, and staff are friendly and helpful. When we went recently in a group that started small but just kept growing they were quick to rearrange tables and bring extra chairs, for instance. There are a few tables and chairs outside for smokers but this is a busy junction and the traffic fumes mean that this wouldn't be my first choice for outside drinking.

Bar Polski: Vodka heaven

In Bar Polski

Update April 2014: new photos added, small amendments to text

This was a popular after-work haunt for me and my colleagues when I worked in this area and I've since introduced a number of VTers to it - it's become a favourite spot for London meetings to end up.

The bar is tucked away in a side alley behind Holborn Station but worth searching out, especially if you like vodka - the drinks list has a whole (large) side devoted just to the huge number of varieties served here (over 60). My favourites are the dry lemon and orange flavoured ones (the latter goes well with cranberry juice if you want a long drink) and the sweeter and strangely turquoise-coloured raspberry. There's also a good range of Polish beers (my friend Andy recommends the Zywiec). Polish food is served too but I've not yet got round to sampling that, though it looks tasty.

The bar is an unusual triangular shape, with an interesting mix of traditional folk murals (see photo) and modern furniture, and there are a few tables outside for warmer evenings. Service is friendly - even more so if like our friend Pete you can speak a few words of Polish.

Highly recommended!

All Star Lanes: West End bowling

Concentration ;)

Update April 2014: website added, prices and opening hours updated

This is a really cool place to go bowling, very different from your edge of town megabowl type of experience. The atmosphere is more that of a trendy bar, and in fact the bar set off to one side of the bowling area is exactly that, with low level lighting and lots of red leather. Cocktails are excellent but don't come cheap, and the same has to be said of the beer (averages £4.00 - £5.00 a bottle) and food (diner style dishes in very generous portions).

There are just 4 lanes (so book in advance or expect to wait) and everything is very clean, high tech and efficiently run by the friendly staff. You pay £8.95 per person for an hour's bowling at peak times, i.e. all day Saturday and after 6.00 pm on other days, (and note that from 6.00pm to 10.00pm Tuesday through Saturday lanes are reserved for those dining in the restaurant area) and £6.95 Sunday - Friday before 5.00 pm. Not cheap maybe, but this is central London and it is a glitzy setting, so I think it's worth it.

This is popular as an after work hangout. The location in Southampton Row halfway between Holborn and Russell Square tube stations is hard to beat - especially when I used to work right upstairs in Victoria House. It's also said to be a celebrity haunt, although I've never seen anyone famous here (or have been too busy enjoying myself to spot them!) However, fans of "The Apprentice" TV show may have seen this venue feature as a prize for the winning team in a previous season's episodes!

Opening times:
    Monday to Wednesday* 16.00 – 23:30
    Thursday* 16.00 - midnight
    Friday 12:00 – 02:00
    Saturday* 11:00 – 02:00
    Sunday* 11:00 – 23:00
    *Note that the restaurant opens one hour later than the venue (except on Fridays)

Dress Code: Smart casual - during the week most people are in their usual work gear. Shoes are provided of course.

Opera Bar: Nostalgic Pub in Central London

by spidermiss Updated Mar 4, 2014
    Opera Bar, London

I'm not into the lagers and beers but the bar server recommended the Samuel Smith's Pure Brewed Organic Lager. I had the the lager with lime and thoroughly enjoyed it. I love to see organic lagers on sale and it was 2.50 gbp (February 2014) for half a pint.

The Opera Bar is an upstairs pub though smaller and more quieter/laid back than its sister pub downstairs, The Chandos. I love the cosy feel to the Opera Room with its wooden decor and panels and the leather sofas and cushioned window benches, where I sat to have my lager, and I thought the lager was reasonably priced for Central London. On a future visit I would like to order a pub meal there and its one of a very few pubs where I can able to go on my own and feel comfortable and relaxed.

Dress Code: Smart casual.

• Beer Tasting

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

The Society of London's Half Price Ticket Booth: Snap up these theatre bargains!

by spidermiss Updated Feb 27, 2014

Tkts, Leicester Square, London

When I buy day tickets on the day, I usually go to this Tickets Booth at Leicester Square first thing. There are two boards at the booth, one showing what shows are available that day and another tells how much tickets cost (usually face value of the discounted ticket and service charge, usually 3gbp per ticket). Please don't be put off by the queue when you arrive as they go down fast and everyone is served promptly.

My friends and I have purchased discounted tickets for 'Les Miserables', 'Pygmalion', 'Love Never Dies' and Henrik Ibsen's 'Ghosts' at the booth.

• Theater Travel

• Penthouse: Nightlife in London

by Prisle Updated Feb 18, 2014
    Penthouse

On the weekend we were in London. its was a funny time there. In the evening we went out. We were in the Penthouse in London. This club has three floors - on the first floor was Hip Hop music, on the second pop music and in the third was the VIP area. We were only on the second floor. The drinks were very expensive.

Dress Code: The people I think only the woman are very crazy, like a disco queen here clothes were very glittering. They made very crazy moves, it was very funny to look around here.

• Go hard or go home: People all over the world

by Thomas1995 Written Feb 18, 2014

The Rumba was a very friendly nightclub. There are people from all over the world. The Djs sounds great music and the barmaid are very sexy. You will learn people from all over the world. we were there for 4 hours an we met people from Germany, Poland, England, Sweden, Russia and a lot more.

Dress Code: You don't were a cap.

• Pomocub's Profile Photo

Wembley Arena: Wembley Arena

by Pomocub Written Feb 6, 2014

Wembley Arena is a concert Arena in London. Until the 02 Arena was built Wembley was considered the best place to perform. You can watch music, comedy and sports acts. Tickets can be purchased on the official arena website but you can also buy tickets for performances off www.ticketmaster.co.uk and www.livenation.co.uk

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

The Underworld, Camden: Great Rock Venue

by vichatherly Updated Dec 14, 2013
    The Graveltones, Camden Underground

This is a great up close and personal rock venue. If you like your gigs intimate, sweaty and loud then this is the place for you.

My last visit was in November 2013 to see the Dead Daisies, ably supported by the Graveltones and Leogun.

The Daisies were really loud, and in a way that spoilt their set. The Graveltones were excellent as usual and Leogun, a new band for me, were great, so much so that I bought their album at the merchandise stall, and was lucky enough to get their lead single to scribble a signature on it.

As the place is small, the tickets can be in short supply, but if you get in quick or maybe don't mind who you see then this is a top rock spot. It's great that it got a great pub, the Worlds End, above it, to help wet you pre-gig whistle.

• Pod's Profile Photo

Guanabara.: Brazilian time.

by Pod Written Nov 28, 2013
    Guanabara. London.

Apart from monday and tuesday there is an entry fee after 8 or 9pm. The live acts are good and a DJ every night. food, snacks and cocktails a plenty. They even do dance lessons.

Dress Code: Look smart. NO SPORTSWEAR, NO HATS, NO FLIP FLOPS.

• Pod's Profile Photo

Belgo. Kingsway.: Loads of beer. A Bierodrome.

by Pod Updated Nov 28, 2013
    Belgo, Kingsway. London.

I think this is the bar/restaurant with the most different types of beer. Maybe. The Porterhouse is compertition. Visit http://www.belgo-restaurants.co.uk/beers to have a look-see at there beers. A very popular place so if your eating you might want to book in advance.
    Free wi-fi so you can take pics and stick em on facebook and others. When is VT going to bring out a phone app?

Dress Code: No dress code as such but you have to respect others who have to sit in the chair next. (no dirty work clothes)

• Beer Tasting
    • Business Travel

Royal Albert Hall: Royal Albert Hall

by spidermiss Updated Nov 13, 2013

Royal Albert Hall, South Kensington, London

When I booked to see Phantom 25 at The Royal Albert Hall in October 2011 I wanted to do a tour of the venue.

I participated in the tour where we were taken to the Grand Tier Boxes where we could see out to the stage, the Royal Retiring Room, the Elgar Room (former Central School of Speech and Drama). It was interesting to learn about the history of the Royal Albert Hall including it's construction. Many stars have come and gone!

After the tour, I had lunch at Cafe Consort which was very nice.

Unfortunately, photography isn't allowed inside the Royal Albert Hall so there are just photos from outside!

In October 2011, I went to see the "The Phantom of the Opera" (The 25th Anniversary celebration of the show) there and this is probably one of my theatrical highlights of my life. We had great seats in the stalls (very expensive but worth every penny!) and got a great view of the stage. Please see my travelogue for the photos.

Royal Albert Hall is part of the Exhibition Road Cultural Group.

• Theater Travel
    • Festivals

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Planet Hollywood: Titanic Cocktails!

by spidermiss Updated Nov 10, 2013
    Bar Area, Planet Hollywood

We had cocktails, Titanic (7.50 gbp (September 2013), at Planet Hollywood before we went to see Phantom at the nearby Her Majesty's Theatre.

I've been before (May 2013) but it was disappointing - more the company I was with rather than the non alcohol cocktail I ordered! So I wanted another chance to enjoy a cocktail.

(Titanic consists of Finlandia vodka, peach schnapps, coconut rum, orange, pineapple juice and lemonade - it was lovely)

Dress Code: Smart Casual

• RavensWing's Profile Photo

Bar Polski: Vodka Anyone?

by RavensWing Written Oct 27, 2013

Two Shots Coming Up!

One could easily pass by this tiny bar and not even realize it. A stylish and modern bar, perfect for those who love a splash of vodka. They have over 55 different types of vodka that you can choose from, either as a shooter or in a cocktail. They also offer a menu with traditional Polish food.

• Singles

• RavensWing's Profile Photo

The Slaughtered Lamb: Slaughtered Lamb

by RavensWing Written Oct 27, 2013

Slaughtered Lamb

This pub is very comfortable. The atmosphere is pretty laid back. They have high back chairs and couches to sit and have a drink with your friends. There is also wooden tables and chairs for those choosing to have something from the menu. Unfortunately the washrooms are not on the same level as the pub, you have to go downstairs to get to them, but they are pretty clean and that's always a bonus.

I had the 'chips' or fries as I would call them, the coconut coleslaw and cauliflower fritters. I enjoyed it all.

• Singles

Instant Answers: London

Comments

London Nightlife

planxty's Profile Photo

Well, what do you want in the way of nightlife?  Whatever it is, I can guarantee you will be able to find it in London.  From internationally acclaimed West End shows to intimate music...

London Members Meetings