Canteen, London

spitalfields market
  • CdnJane's Profile Photo

Canteen: Great British Food Indeed

by CdnJane Written Jul 2, 2013

The concierge recommended Canteen when we asked for a restaurant near the London Eye. It took us a few minutes to find It, but it was well worth getting there. It was quite busy when we arrived and we decided to wait at the bar. We were served quickly and by pleasant staff.
    It truly felt like English pub food updated, and I felt that the prices were in line for the quality food.

Favorite Dish: Lots of choices on the menu. My cousin picked the pie of the day - pork something or other. I had the sirloin of beef with Yorkshire pudding and it was great. Nicely cooked - not mushy - carrots, and greens. Delicious! For dessert she had the apple crumble with custard and I had the bread pudding which was yummy and not overly sweet.

• marsistanbul's Profile Photo

CANTEEN: The best ??? Canteen

by marsistanbul Updated May 15, 2008

canteen

According to Good Food Guide London "restaurant of the year", Tatler's..Canteen is selected amongst the best one-offs and best for the British Food London eating..in top three British Restaurant List....and I wanted also see Sir Norman Foster's Spitalfields Market and therefore definitely Canteen..because of I was looking and expecting different,lovely atmosphere,grilled medium rare ripeye steak with french fries..BUT..definitely a big big disappointment !!!
    My steak had absolutely no taste,difficult to cut and chew,small and avarage..for side some green leaves,coke was full of ice and with lemon slices which I don't like..french fries was tender,salty,tasty..thanks God:)
    I went there with my brother,first we visited the "Dirty Dicks"(therefore we didn't have beer or wine) ,and we're very very hungry but there wasn't no available table for awhile,hostess told me,you should wait for a half hour,but I am Turkish,I can wait:),I show her my charming,I'm coming from Istanbul,no time,bla bla bla.. and she'd find a place for us but it is long table..anyway no argue with her,we really didn't have a time..I felt myself,I'm student,four couples next to us..it is long table!!!but thanks God,they didn't know Turkish language.
    Service wasn't need to say slow,because it was peak hours(1.30pm).Inside of restaurant was very noisy,I didn't want to stay more..
    I'm very sorry that couldn't keep Miss Sarah's(LONDONBABE) advise,she recommended me,go to Whits in Kensington.
    Maybe I had high expectation,and I do not want to say don't go or go for it..you are free..
    12,5% service charge!!!!my goddness!!! it's yummy turnover for the stuff:)
    I visited the gents toilets to wash my hand but there was only one..and I waited,waited,waited..
    monday to friday 8am-11pm
    saturday to sunday 9am-11pm

Favorite Dish: no idea!!!
    rib-eye steak 13,50 pound
    chips 3 pound
    coke 2 pound

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near Canteen
4.0 out of 5 stars