Chancery, London

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

The Chancery: The Chancery - Modern cuisine near Holborn

by sue_stone Updated Mar 15, 2007

Main meals

The Chancery is a small, modern restaurant hidden away in the back streets off High Holborn. The moodily lit interior is simple yet stylish, and they have those wonderfully comfortable high-backed leather chairs that I love. We dined there one night, on the recommendation of friends, and a '50% off food' offer sweetened the deal. Service was efficient and friendly throughout the meal, even at bill time which is usually where things fall apart in my experience!

The restaurant offers a 3 course menu for £32 (just £16 with the special offer). We found this to be good value as the quality of the dishes was excellent.

Favorite Dish: To start, I had the Rabbit Beignet with quinoa, blood orange and cardamon dressing, and Alex had the Poached scallops and langoustines in a curried cream of sauternes and fresh peas. Both dishes were excellent - I would happily go back tomorrow and have the rabbit again.

Main courses were also pretty good - Alex had the Manuka smoked monkfish with tiger prawns, puy lentils and confit tomato ravioli, and I had the Crisp fillet of sea bass with asparagus sushi, mussel and black bean sauce. My only complaint would be that the Sea Bass was way too salty.

Desserts were delicious!! We shared both the B52 parfait with Kahlua, Baileys and Grand Marnier; and the Pecan Pie with caramel ice cream. The B52 parfait was like a grown up version of a Sara Lee Bavarian Cream Pie (those Aussies out there may know of this!) and the Pecan Pie was incredibly moreish, with a nutty, toffee consistency.

I was also impressed with the wine list, which had a good range of very reasonably priced options. We will definitely return to The Chancery one day - let's hope the Pecan Pie is still on the menu!

• Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near Chancery
5.0 out of 5 stars