Fire & Stone, London

My Warm Waffle and Ice Cream Dessert
    Inside Fire and Stone
    Fire and Stone
  • spidermiss's Profile Photo

Fire & Stone: Best Pizzas I ever tasted!

by spidermiss Updated Jan 17, 2012

Fire and Stone

During my many visits to London, I always kept passing this restaurant and had intended to visit it on a future trip espeically hearing how the good the pizzas are from my musical theatre friends. I made my first visit there in December 2011 and thoroughly enjoyed my meal.

The art deco interior and space inside the restaurant makes it welcoming. The restaurant offers a variety of pizzas with toppings which you don't usually see in high street pizzerias. The toppings are inspired from five contients: Africa, Americas, Europe, Asia and Australasia. The restaurant also offer starters, pasta, salads, desserts but everyone seems to go for the popular pizzas.

Please note they add 12.5% service charge to the final bill. I didn't mind becuase the service was excellent but would have if it wasn't.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the New York Pizza (Apparently it's the most popular pizza people order in the restaurant). The New York Pizza consists of mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce, crispy smoked bacon, garlic & rosemary roast potatoes, caramelised onion jam and sour cream and paprika is topped. It was delicious and never tasted a pizza so good:D

I also order a choc chip milkshake as my drink and for dessert I had the warm waffle and ice cream.

The bill came to approximately 23 gbp including service charge.

• jo104's Profile Photo

Fire & Stone: Gourmet Pizza toppings

by jo104 Written Mar 6, 2008

I have attempted to eat at Fire & Stone several times although it is such a busy place that there is often a waiting list. At the door our greeter anxiously asked us if we had a booking, but managed to find us a table.

We waited a long time to be served & when we did we ordered the house wine which should be good in any restaurant worth its salt. Our waitress said after we had ordered .... and what if I suggest .... we still wanted the house but again she offered her suggestion of a 20 bottle. There is not much selection of reasonably priced wine.

We ordered 2 pizza's which are catergorized by areas such as Europe, Australasia, Africa etc, we chose the Cairo pizza with red & yellow peppers, courgettes, balsamic roasted red onion, mozzerella, goats cheese & pine nuts. Our second pizza is spicy smoked pepperoni, Italian garlic & fennel salami, sun blushed tomatoes, marinated black olives. The pizza's were quite delicious & I felt satisfied. We shared a belgium waffle with summer fruits, lovely although small.

Back to the waitress bad service however as it left a bad taste in my mouth she ignored our request 3 times for water so I had resort to asking another waiter.

What grates me here is that the include a 12.5% service charge on all bills even if the service is bad.

The restaurant layout is well thought out with a large central sofa with tables fitted around, it is vibey & always busy but the accoustics are pretty good.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Fire & Stone: Fire & Stone - Gourmet Pizza near Covent Garden

by sue_stone Written Jun 3, 2007

'Sydney' pizza

Fire & Stone is a Gourmet Pizza restaurant located very close to Covent Garden Piazza. Yes, there a lots and lots of pizza restaurants around here, but Fire & Stone stands out by being a little bit different than the rest.

Firstly, it is housed in a very impressive space - one review I read described it as an "aircraft-hangar-sized setting". It is indeed a large, lofty room, which was already filled to the brim when we dined at the pre-theatre friendly time of 6.30pm.

The waiting staff were busy but still managed a smile and a discussion about their favourite pizzas. Food was delivered quite quickly which was perfect for those of us dining on time constraints.

So, the pizzas - these aren't your average Italian style pizzas, but they are 'gourmet' pizzas with all manner of toppings. They are stone-baked in the largest wood-fired pizza oven in the northern hemisphere (or so their website says!).

Favorite Dish: There is a 'round-the-world' theme going on with the pizzas - they are all named after places around the world, such as London, Sydney, New York, Cairo, with the toppings reflecting the culture of the countries. We had the Sydney (well, had to try the one from our home town didn't we!) and the Bombay.

The Sydney has Crisp oven-roasted smoked bacon, free range egg, shaved smoked ham, mozzarella, Fire & Stone’s tomato sauce, basil & chives. It was good, but I found the ham a little too sweet for my taste. I preferred the Bombay, with Roast tandoori marinated chicken breast, spiced tandoori yoghurt base, broccoli, sliced red onion, mozzarella, spiced mango chutney & cucumber & mint yoghurt.

I did enjoy the pizza's, and will probably return one day to sample some of the other intriguing combinations....though I must confess that I think I may still prefer Pizza Express - scandalous I know ; )

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Fire & Stone: Excellent pizza spot

by vichatherly Written Jun 4, 2006

Covent Garden

This was a good spot to go to get away from the mad crowds around Covent Garden.

I had booked up previously, as I knew we were going to be in the area for the evening

Ideal for a pre theatre meal as the service is quick and as it's only rally a posh pizza place the meal won't leave you wanting to fall asleep in your theatre seat and it won't cost you a packet.

The restaurant itself was very nice and modern, cool downstairs. Definitely look to go again.

Favorite Dish: I went for the Acapulco: Slow cooked ground chilli beef, Fire & Stone's tomato sauce, jalapenos, mozzarella and sliced red onion, topped with sour cream and guacamole. very nice too

All their pizzas looked great and the menu choices made a nice change from the normal run of the mill pizza dishes. They tasted great too!

• Fire & Stone: The Best Pizza in London!!

by brotherlee Written Mar 27, 2006

Fire & Stone is one of the best new restaurants to hit London for years!! Not only is it a fantasically designed restaurant, with an industrial, yet very cosy, New York feel, but the pizzas are really out of this world. I booked my table totally online on a restaurant website called www.bestlondonrestaurants.co.uk as they were really raving about the place. They couldn't have got it all more accurate if they'd tried. The pizzas are all wood-fired with a really light base like I've never had before....and the choice of toppings are something else. I had a pizza called the New York, which was tomato, smoked bacon, roasted potatoes with garlic & rosemary, onion jam (which made it really nice & sweet), creme fraiche & smoked paprika.....wow!! Have you ever heard of anything like this before. It was seriously the best thing I've ever tasted. They even have a pizza dessert!! Banana & caramel with coconut ice cream. The best bit though, are the prices. Most pizzas are under £8, which is amazing for the fantastic central London location they have. Seriously, you HAVE to check this place out....it's simply superb!!

Favorite Dish: I only tried the New York that I spoke about above.........but looking at the pizzas people were eating around me, I'd say they'll all be stunning. And there were about 20 to choose from!!!

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near Fire & Stone
4.0 out of 5 stars