Founder's Arms pub, Southbank, London

52 Hopton Street, Bankside, SE1 9JH +00 44 (0)20 7928 1899

My beer and number
    The restaurant
    by Gypsystravels
    Fish, chips and mushed peas!
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

The Founder's Arm: Decent Fish & Chips

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 23, 2011

Fish, chips and mushed peas!

Honestly, I don't know what it is but am I getting too picky with my meals? I had heard and read so much about this restaurant that it was the only restaurant that I made a point to grab a meal in.

The restaurant is a London institution, located near the Tate Modern by the River Thames. The views are quite nice and so is the restaurant. There is outside dinning or you can eat your meal inside.

You have a choice of first finding a place to sit to enjoy your meal, then placing your order or, going straight to the bar to place your meal, then find a place to sit. I ordered my meal first, then looked for a place to eat. I found a nice table outside overlooking the River Thames.

Favorite Dish: I decided to have my obligatory "Fish & Chips" at this restaurant as I thought what better place than a restaurant that has been around for years, right?

Well, the Fish & Chips was just okay (another okay meal). I found the batter to be too thick, not flacky or crusty and quite bland. The fries were good and I didn't touch the mushed peas (don't like peas)!!! I ordered a Founder beer to wash it all down.

The best part of the whole meal were the views over the River Thames to St. Patrick's!!!

I don't think I will eat here again, but I will definitnely return to grab a few drinks while enjoying the views across the Thames.

• purplekedi's Profile Photo

Founders Arms: have a Pint by the Thames

by purplekedi Written Aug 17, 2005

Founders Arms

This is a regular pub with regular pub food and drinks.. What makes it packed in the summer is, well, it's on the way to Tate so it attracts lotsa tourits and it has seatings outside, by the Thames overlooking St Paul's Cathedral

It is really really packed on the weekends though.

Favorite Dish: Regular pub finger food.
    Fish&Chips, King Prawns, And Guiness!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

The Founders Arms: A VT meeting by the Thames

by Jenniflower Updated Nov 30, 2006

Edla piling in! :)

This is a riverside pub with gorgeous views of St Pauls, the Millennium Bridge and the river Thames.

It is next to the Tate Modern on the one side and Shakespeare's Globe on the other! Great location!!

We have eaten here twice, once a couple of years ago, and then for this VT meeting. Organised by beauty-extraordinaire, Iris! :)

I have always enjoyed my food here, and looking at what the others were served the day of the meeting, the standards are still high, and quantities HUGE!

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the salad I had and the others enjoyed their meals too.

There was lots of oohing and aahing going on, which is a good sign!

The experience was great in all, not just because I was with some dear old and new VT friends, but becasue it is a nice pub, one which can be relied upon to serve a decent bit of grub!

• Beer Tasting