Golden Hind, London

Golden Hind: Best fish & chips yet

by Dabs Updated May 4, 2011

A lovely piece of haddock at Golden Hind

2nd visit April 2011, still very good

I love eating fish and chips when I go to London and Golden Hind was recommended by several guide books, including Time Out's Cheap Eats, and written up in Gourmet's special edition on London in 2005 so I figured it was a pretty safe bet for good fish & chips.

I think you can also carry out which is less expensive but I decided to dine in. The wait staff and owner were very friendly on both visits, the recommended the haddock over the cod on my 1st visit so that's what I had both times.

Favorite Dish: I'm not a fish and chips expert but I like it a lot better when I'm not picking around fish skin and this place served fish where you could eat the entire filet, it came with a slice of lemon and some tartar sauce. The chips were good too and they gave you ketchup to eat them with although I prefer to use vinegar and salt when I'm in London

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Golden Hind: Golden Hind - fish & chips in Marylebone

by sue_stone Written Aug 24, 2008

Golden Hind dinner

There seems to be a constant debate in London on where to get the best fish & chips. One place that always gets a mention is the Golden Hind in Marylebone, so I went there to see for myself how it rated.

The Golden Hind is a very cool place, not 'hip' cool, but historic cool. It has been open since 1914, and there is a little board that shows the names of the various owners since then. The simple décor doesn't look like it would have changed much over the years, nor the furniture, which is basic yet functional. This is a lively place, with a constant stream of customers coming and going, along with locals picking up their takeaway. It is cramped, a little noisy, but the food is good, the staff are so smiley and friendly, and to top it all off, it is BYO.

Favorite Dish: Bottle in hand, we managed to grab a table one evening without having a reservation. In fact we were allocated a luxurious table for 4 when there was only 2 of us. Happy days. We ordered some Calamari to start, which was lightly battered and very soft. We both had Haddock with chips and mushy peas (why are mushy peas so much tastier than normal peas!?). Really enjoyed it all and found the batter very light and not too greasy.

So, were the fish & chips at the Golden Hind the best I've ever had? Maybe not the best (there was this amazing place in North Wales…), but certainly one of the best.

• Djinn76's Profile Photo

The Golden Hind: Simply the best...

by Djinn76 Written May 16, 2008

I have been looking for this kind of place for ages. If it had not been recommended by a guidebook I would have hesitated a bit to have food here. From outside the place look a bit dodgy!

This is indeed a traditional fish'nd chip place where the food is perfectly cooked! Everything is customizable, peas or mushy pea, kind of fish (cod, halibut,...), deep-fried or not!

On top of that the desert menu is simply gorgeous. All kind of cake drowned in custard! Exactly what I was dreaming of!

The service is quite friendly, the only drawback is that they are not licensed, no beer on tap. You have to bring your own booze. That may be an advantage when you are aware of it, not when you are caught off guard! I know what to do for the next time...

Warmly recommended if you are looking for a traditional British lunch!

Marylebone Lane is located between Oxford Street (Bond tube station) and Regents park.

• Audrey118's Profile Photo

Golden Hind: the best fish and chips

by Audrey118 Written Sep 11, 2007

Italian - Greek owner.... this place gives you the 60s feel esplly with the art deco fryer on big display!!! Mean looking servers - but they are very very friendly- fatherly.... ui loved the fish here.... dinners servings are larger. the tartare sauce is awesome.... but it is the crispy batter that sends me coming back....

Favorite Dish: plaice is my fav -

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near Golden Hind
4.5 out of 5 stars