Harlem, London

by patatina
  • patatina's Profile Photo

Harlem: A Hearty Brunch

by patatina Written Jul 30, 2006

We had a late brunch at Harlem, this American restaurant on Westbourne Grove. They have a Denny's-esque brunch menu, which is served until 6pm, and a selection of deli sandwiches and burgers and salads.

I felt like a good, hearty brunch and ordered eggs sunny-side up, bacon, toast, and home fries with orange juice while my husband - the way healthier one of the two of us - ordered a turkey club sandwich. The food was quite simple, good, and tasty. The home fries were more greasy than crunchy, but everything else was good. My husband loved his sandwich, but it was pretty heavy so he ended up boxing half of it to bring home.

So, the food wasn't all that bad, but the service was terrible. Our waitress was pretty rude throughout the visit. We asked for BBQ sauce with the meal, which she failed to bring along with ketchup or salt or anything really - they were all lined up on the bar counter so I don't know if it's just meant to be self-serve or what, but I had to hunt them down to pick up myself since she was busy chatting on her cell phone when I was looking for her.

As for the cost, about £30 was too much. We were annoyed to see that we were charged an extra £3 for the home fries, and even £1 for toast. But the dishes themselves were reasonably priced, they just get you with the extra stuff. It's close to us, so we may still go back for a quick lunch or brunch like this but be careful to avoid the unnecessary add-ons.

Instant Answers: London