Lamb and Flag, London

33 Rose St. WC2E 9EB, +00 44 (0)20 7497 9504

The bar in the Dryden room
    by rexvaughan
  • Here we are amongst the gathering crowd in front
    Here we are amongst the gathering crowd...
  • We got a table in the Dryden room upstairs
    We got a table in the Dryden room...
  • tvor's Profile Photo

Lamb and Flag: Historic pub in Covent Garden

by tvor Written May 15, 2008

My mom and I wandered through Covent Garden on the day of our arrival in London. It was cold and damp and typically March. We were hungry and started to check out the menus of some of the places we passed. Down what looked like an alley we saw the Lamb and Flag and a sign advertising a Sunday Roast with a very acceptable price. It wasn't too crowded so we decided to go in. The dining area was up a narrow set of old stairs. The pub itself oozed age, with dark wood and beamed ceilings. Upstairs, we had a choice of several roasts with veg included. The barman first said he was too busy to make us coffee but did it for us anyway, bless him. We found a table by an old fireplace though it wasn't a working one. The pub soon filled up but we sat and enjoyed a huge plate of food and one of the best cups of coffee i'd ever had

The pub is at least 300 years old and could be the oldest one in Covent Garden. It is small and cozy and the food is excellent.

Favorite Dish: Sunday roast with all the trimmings.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Lamb and Flag: Drink like Dickens

by rexvaughan Written Oct 16, 2007

Here we are amongst the gathering crowd in front

I suppose there are places with similar histories all around London, but the Lamb & Flag has evidently been here since the 1620's so is rightly called historic. We only met friends here for a drink but I was duly impressed by it and the throng of people it attracts as the main room was full and there must have been 60 or more people standing on the narrow lane in front of it. I can't attest to the food, but it is apparently very popular with both tourists and locals so has something going for it. They do serve a good pint of Guiness.

From what I read the place was formerly called the Bucket of Blood attesting to the fist fights (bare knuckle I am sure) that were regularly held here. It is also said that both Dickens and Dryden drank here and in fact the upstairs room is called the Dryden room. We went there and were able to find a table large enough for 7 of us to squeeze in. For a bit of local history, at least stop in for a drink. It is an easy walk from either the Leicester Square or Covent Garden tube station but it is tucked in among three little streets so get a good map to help you find it.

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near Lamb and Flag
5.0 out of 5 stars