Lanes Restaurant & Bar, London

2 out of 5 stars 2 Reviews

109-117 Middlesex Street, London, E1 7JF +00 44 (0)20 7247 5050

• DAO's Profile Photo

LANES OF LONDON: I COULDN'T FIND A WAITER !

by DAO Written May 6, 2014

This was formerly '140 Park Lane'. Its still at that address, has the same interior, just new owners. I booked a meal deal on the OpenTable Website. It sounded a good deal and when I walked in, I thought the place looked impressive. Roomy, bright, colorful and lots of wine chillers. Lots. Then I noticed something odd. I couldn't find any staff to get a table. I finally found someone who worked in the bar to find me a restaurant staff member. This went on during the whole time I was there.

Want to order? Go find someone.
    Want a drink? Go find someone.
    Want to order the second course? Go find someone.
    Want the bill and to leave? Go find someone.

The food? It was very good, but small portions.

Opening Hours:
    Open seven days a week
    Breakfast - 6.30am to 11.00am
    All Day Dining - 12.00pm to 10.30pm
    Afternoon Tea - 12.00pm to 5.30pm

Favorite Dish:
    Roast Quail breast and quail egg starter. Pan fried Scottish sea trout with crushed Jersey royals (potatoes).

LANES OF LONDON LANES OF LONDON LANES OF LONDON LANES OF LONDON LANES OF LONDON
    • Luxury Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Lanes Restaurant & Bar: Lanes Restaurant & Bar, East London

by sue_stone Written Sep 12, 2006

One evening we ventured over to Liverpool Street to meet up with my niece and her boyfriend for dinner. We don't often eat out in this part of London, but thought it was time for a change, so we headed to Lanes Restaurant & Bar which I had read good things about.

Lanes is located less than 2 minutes walk from Liverpool Street station. Located below street level, it has a bar and compact restaurant, plus a private dining area. The restaurant was pleasingly full on a Monday night, and the atmosphere was smart but relaxed. Service was particularly efficient and just friendly enough.

Favorite Dish: To start, Alex had the Cornish Crab Ravioli with Taragon, Kelly had the Baked Scallops with Pancetta and Steve had the Marinated Pork with Pear, Blue Cheese & Pine Nuts. I just had a taste of Alex's - the pasta was a little overcooked.

Main courses were the Roast Rump of Lamb, Creamy Potatoes & Haricots Verts for Steve & I, the Fillet of Plaice, Lemon & Dill Risotto, Served with Fish Cream for Kelly, and the Breast of Barbary Duck, Pak Choi & Roasted Figs for Alex. Kelly said her fish reminded her of Rollmops, which I don't think was supposed to be a compliment.

Desserts had to be sampled - Alex and I shared the Crème Brulee with Caramelised Banana & Passion Fruit Sauce, which Kelly ordered as well, and Steve had the Lemon Sorbet.

Unfortunately the food just didn't quite do it for us. It looked fabulous but didn’t taste as good as it looked. It was perfectly edible though, but not on par with some of the meals we had had lately. And it was overpriced....thankfully we were dining there on a special offer of 50% off the food cost ; )

Steve & Kelly at Lanes Lanes Restaurant & Bar Lanes Restaurant & Bar Kelly and her scallop starter the lamb (with duck in the background)
    • Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near Lanes Restaurant & Bar
4.0 out of 5 stars