Lido, Chinatown, London

Shrimp dumplings
  • patatina's Profile Photo

Lido: Dim Sum in Chinatown

by patatina Written Aug 17, 2006
    Outside of the restaurant.

I found this place to be OK, and actually I'm going to break it down into pros and cons:

Pros:
    - We were stuffed and we paid just over £20!! Every little plate was about £1.50 - £2.50. There are some that have higher prices.
    - The grilled dumplings were delicious!! They were one of the few dishes that I as a non-seafood eater could eat and I loved them. Mmm... definitely try those! They are kinda heavy though and after eating about ten of them I wasn't liking them too much anymore but they are really good.
    - The location is convenient - in the photo you can see the "gate" for Chinatown - walk just past the supermarket on the left and you'll see Lido right there. There's always a man outside encouraging you to come in.
    - They have a great menu for regular lunch and dinner.

Cons:
    - Their menu is not clear on the ingredients. I don't eat seafood and we ordered Pork Dumplings and Stuffed Chicken Rolls. Both were teeming with seafood. The Pork Dumpling was half prawn - and the Stuffed Chx was actually rolls with sliced fish, beef, and chicken. We were told that to list each of the main ingredients would make the menu too long, even if it's just to write Pork & Prawn Dumpling. Anyway, I don't go out for dim sum often so if you're like me, just make sure that you double check to make sure about what's inside if there's something you want to avoid.

Favorite Dish: Grilled Dumplings - they're just plump and juicy and very tasty.
    My husband also liked the other dumplings we had - which were Pork & Prawn Dumplings and separate Prawn dumplings.

• kit_mc's Profile Photo

LIDO: Chinatown

by kit_mc Updated May 3, 2005

China Town

Chinatown, not surprisingly, is packed full of Chinese restaurants of varying quality. I've pretty much tried them all on this street as this is my favourite type of food.

LIDO is on the main pedestrianised street, Gerrard Street, which is parallel to Shaftesbury Avenue.

I've been here a few times and it's especially nice if there are a few of you. The service is good, which isn't always the case in Chinatown. It's very clean and smart too. Even tablecloths! Ooh, very posh!

You'll find in Chinatown that it is difficult to gauge the price between restaurants. Some dishes will be cheap in one place, and expensive in another, and vice versa. This place is fairly priced if you want a guarantee that you'll enjoy what arrives from the kitchen.

I first ate here summer 2004 for a friend's birthday and we brought our own cake. The really nice waiting staff even cut it up for us and served it to us even though we'd bought the cake from down the street.

Favorite Dish: Everything I've eaten in there has been good, but I'd recommend the Hot and Sour soup for those of you who like it spicy. As a Hot and Sour soup expert, I can tell you it's quality! The spicy beancurd (for veggies) is also really nice as is the Honeyed Pork (for carnivores).

Will take a pic of the place soon!

• Study Abroad
    • Gay and Lesbian

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near Lido, Chinatown
4.0 out of 5 stars