My Old Dutch, London

4 out of 5 stars 9 Reviews

132 High Holborn, WC1V 6PS +00 44 (0)20 7242 5200
  • Sue and Rich Enjoy Their First English Breakfast
    Sue and Rich Enjoy Their First English...
  • Dutch Pancake w. Berries, Honey & Vanilla Sugar
    Dutch Pancake w. Berries, Honey &...
    Vermeer Pancake

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

My Old Dutch Pancake House: My Old Dutch Pancake House, in Holborn

by sue_stone Written May 28, 2007

Dabs (Kristi) was coming to town, so Jo104 (Jo) arranged a VT meeting at My Old Dutch Pancake House in Holborn. This Holborn restaurant is part of a small chain of Pancake House's which serve up freshly cooked Pannekoek, an authentic Dutch pancake.

Twenty odd (very odd!) VT'ers joined together to welcome Kristi to London and indulge in the biggest pancakes I have ever seen. We sat downstairs, and were the only table down there....but with such a big group we created our own atmosphere.

My Old Dutch is a cheerful looking place, with friendly, though not necessarily efficient service. I had a few issues with trying to order a drink (had to ask 4 times) and then they gave my meal to someone else. Oh well, it was still a great night!

Favorite Dish: I ended up having a pancake with artichoke, sun-dried tomato, olives and cheese. It was much better than I was expecting. Others had the Chicken Curry, Chilli Con Carne, Smoked Salmon, and the Amsterdammer, to name a few.

A few of us managed to squeeze in a dessert. I had a Waffle with ice cream and caramel sauce - quite tasty.

My dinner My Old Dutch Pancake House Waffle for dessert VT'ers at My Old Dutch Pancake House VT'ers at My Old Dutch Pancake House

• riorich55's Profile Photo

My Old Dutch Pancake: Great Spot for that First London Breakfast

by riorich55 Updated Feb 21, 2012

There are a small number of My Old Dutch Pancake restaurants in the London area. Rich chose this one for the first morning as it was only 2 blocks down from the hotel we had just checked into at 11:00 in the morning.

The staff was very friendly and we even had our waitperson take our picture before digging in. We could have had any number of pancakes (dutch style), but decided to stay a little familiar to what we as American's considered breakfast food.

Favorite Dish: Both dishes that you see in our pictures were really good. There was a lot of food that kept us going until dinner.

Sue and Rich Enjoy Their First English Breakfast Dutch Pancake w. Berries, Honey & Vanilla Sugar Vermeer Pancake
    • Seniors

• jo104's Profile Photo

My Old Dutch Pancake House: Pancake Place

by jo104 Updated Jul 23, 2009

Savoury or sweet pancakes - both equally as huge & filling
    The restaurant is light & airy on the top level & can cater for noisy groups in the cellar below
    The pancakes are served on large delft blue plates.
    They cater for vegetarian, meat & sweet lovers

Favorite Dish: I had a chicken curry pancake, whilst rich had My Old Amsterdammer which was bacon, apple & maple syrup. I did not get a bite of his as it was gone in no time

Update 2009: Monday Madness all pancakes only GBP5

Its all mine Can I eat it all? Photo before devouring

• Cham's Profile Photo

My Old Dutch: Huge Dutch Pancakes

by Cham Written Aug 17, 2006

Pretty much everything on the menu here is Pancakes filled with some great combinations of food from across the globe. A pancake you say? how can that be a meal? well let me tell you if you folded it up 4 times it would still be the size of your head.

The food is always good here and service is very prompt and friendly. There is a great selection of savoury and also sweet pancakes. So even if you have eaten somewhere else you can still come here for dessert. Honestly it's worth it, the price of this place and close proximity to the theatres makes it ideal. The restaurant is just far away enough from the west end not to be expensive.

Favorite Dish: The Duck Pancake here is like having a chinese dutch fusion... soooo good actually I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

My Old Dutch in Holborn

• Jennyjump79's Profile Photo

My Old Dutch: Pancakes

by Jennyjump79 Written Nov 18, 2003

The atmosphere reminded me of a diner, brightly lit and unassuming. The menu is almost exclusively pancakes, sweet and savory. However, if you are dying for pancakes (hard to find among the multitudes of places serving English breakfasts,) you can't beat this place-- any time of day. Also, it makes a good place for eating alone-- a friendly but unofficious staff, no romantic lighting, plenty of table space to pull out a book or write out postcards.

Favorite Dish: If you don't mind looking unadventurous, go for the pancakes with maple syrup and butter. However, the savory pancakes, particularly the duck one, looked pretty good as they passed my table.

One note-- these are not American-style pancakes. They look more like large, unfolded crepes. Absolutely yummy!

• Study Abroad

• Dabs's Profile Photo

My Old Dutch: Pancakes in Holborn

by Dabs Updated Nov 7, 2007

Jo (jo104) and I share a love of pancakes so when I mentioned I was coming to town she offered to arrange a VT meeting for me in London at My Old Dutch. It was great to see some old friends and meet some new friends and although at least one VTers order got screwed up, it seemed like they were able to serve a larger group reasonably well.

Favorite Dish: Dutch pancakes, or Pannekoek are large, light pancakes. The ingredients are cooked into the pancake unlike crepes or traditional pancakes where the ingredients are inside or on top.

I ordered the Amsterdammer, sauteed apple with smoked bacon and maple syrup. The pancake was huge, a little light on the toppings for my taste. I think I prefer crepes that are filled over the Dutch style of pancakes. I should have stopped there but they had waffles on the dessert menu so I ordered one with bananas, whipped cream and chocolate. Good, but nothing like the waffles I had in Belgium.

Amsterdammer Waffle with banana, whipped cream and chocolate

• Vcela's Profile Photo

My Old Dutch: Floppy pancake

by Vcela Written Dec 31, 2003

A disappointment, bar the food. Unfortunately My Old Dutch seems to have gone downhill over the years. There is still the fun in the food - the sweet or savoury on pancakes, but the restaurant itself needs a little improvement or freshness and the service could do with a large dose of improvement. Lots of potential but sadly not like the 'good old days'.

• bzh's Profile Photo

My Old Dutch: Dutch pancakes in Holborn

by bzh Written Mar 30, 2003

If you're bored of the Chinese, Italian or Indian restaurants of London and want something different, you could find it next to Holborn station, at My Old Dutch. This restaurant serves typical Dutch pancakes in a friendly atmosphere. The staff is nice and efficient and the food is simple, good and filling.

However, you could be in for more than you bargained for. Last time I ate there, the fire alarm accidentally went off. Unfortunately, none of the staff knew how to stop it. The restaurant was extremely noisy until three gleaming red fire engines pulled up outside and a laughing fireman went down to reset the alarm. The firemen found the whole experience extremely entertaining and had a good laugh with us before setting off again.

Favorite Dish: All pancakes are nice. Chose the filling according to your taste.

My Old Dutch restaurant

• TheFish's Profile Photo

for other restaurants, refer...

by TheFish Written Aug 24, 2002

for other restaurants, refer to the off the beaten path section...

everytime i am in london i make it a point to go for breakfast once at the dutch pancake place (which i believe has some interesting name like 'the dutch pancake house' but i don't remember for sure).
    did i mention the size of the plates and pancakes?

Favorite Dish: pancakes. imagine that. but these aren't just any pancakes... these are plate size pancakes. and furthermore, these aren't just any plates. these plates are the size of small tables.

Instant Answers: London