OXO Tower Brasserie, London

4.5 out of 5 stars 8 Reviews

Barge House Street South Bank London SE1 9PH +00 44 (0)20 7803 3888

Having a lovely night out.
    A shared starter
    Main course - Lamb
  • londonbabe's Profile Photo

Oxo Tower Restaurant and Brasserie: The most romantic view in London - probably

by londonbabe Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Oxo Tower, right on the river just east of Waterloo and the South Bank Centre, was originally built as an advertising symbol for, yes, Oxo. It has now been converted into shoops (bottom) apartments (all round) cheapish restaurant (2nd floor) and GREAT restaurant (top floor).
    Be careful when you book though, because one side is the expensive restaurant and the other (which I am recommending) is the not so expensive brasserie. OK, it's still not cheap, but what you do get are stunning views up and down the river, from the Houses of Parliament to St Pauls. If the season permits, try and time your meal with sunset.
    When you get out of the lift, turn right for the brasserie and left for the restaurant.
    There's also a funky bar with good cocktails where, if you don't want to shell out for a meal (around £80 for 2), you can sit and look across the dinner tables at part of the view.

Favorite Dish: The restaurant is part of the Harvey Nichols Group, so expect good modern international cooking. Bit of a generalisation, but the fish is usually good.
    Wine list has wide range of world wines, with a bit too steep a mark-up. Again, you're paying for the view. And just be thankful you aren't in the restaurant next door because you'd probably end up offering to do the washing up.

• girdlebug's Profile Photo

Oxo Tower Brasserie: Amazing food and atmosphere

by girdlebug Written Dec 27, 2009

Went to the main restaurant about a week before Christmas. Was crowded for lunch but the service and food were amazing.
    Had the wood pigeon for starter and it was perfect. Monkfish for main and cleaned my plate. Service was extremely attentive and the views of London spectacular. I would definitely go back to this restaurant. I don't think they can disappoint.

• nhcram's Profile Photo

OX Tower Braserie: Fantastic Views

by nhcram Updated Sep 2, 2006

A shared starter

I was lucky enough to have an all expenses paid trip to London with a colleague. We had to meet and entertain two people from Mexico and we were free to take them anywhere, but, at short notice it proved difficult. I chose the Brasserie at the Oxo Tower and they loved it. We were lucky enough to get a table on the terrace and the views over the Thames were beautifiul.
    The food was excellent but I have to say the service was very slow.
    The place was packed with diners and when we left at 12.30am people were still eating!
    I would certianly come here again although it was very expensive. Thank goodness I wasn't paying!

Favorite Dish: We shared starters of Osso Bucco and grilled sardines and there was plenty for the four of us.
    I then had the lamb with aubergines and courgettes in a pesto sauce which was excellent. I managed to squeeze in an Ameretto pana cota with roasted apricots. I thought Iwas in pudding heaven mmmm

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

OXO Tower Restaurant: OXO Tower Restaurant, central London

by sue_stone Updated Sep 24, 2005

pre dinner drinks

It was Alex's birthday, so a special dinner was in order. I wanted to take him somewhere romantic, somewhere with a view, somewhere to remember.

So we went to OXO Tower Restaurant and it was all that!

OXO Tower is located on South Bank - by the Thames. The restaurant is located on the 8th floor of the tower and has fabulous views across London. There is also a cheaper Brasserie and a Bar on the same floor.

We arrived early and opted to have a drink on the terrace, in the restaurants private bar area. A martini for the birthday boy and a glass of champagne for me....well, we were celebrating! We toasted to our good fortune of living in such an amazing city as we enjoyed the view and the mild autumn evening.

Favorite Dish: Then it was time to eat. We perused the menu for a while and had a discussion with the sommelier about the perfect wine for our meal....Australian of course!!

Alex had an unusual Prawn Caesar Salad for starter (see photo), and for main course we both had amazingly cooked Venison with yum vegies. For dessert we shared a Strawberry Soufflé that just melted in your mouth.

All the food was delicious, the service was excellent, and the view out the window of the sun setting over the city was spectacular.

Highly recommended for a special occasion.

• Luxury Travel

• Oana_bic's Profile Photo

Oxo Tower

by Oana_bic Updated Jun 23, 2005

Oxo Tower - Riverside; unmissable with its panoramic views of the Thames and London.
    Even better after dark when the city lights up . Listen to the live jazz, eat in the restaurant or at la brasserie or just sip your cocktail at the bar.

• Webboy's Profile Photo

Oxo Tower Restaurant: Expensive but worth it!

by Webboy Written Dec 23, 2003

Ver y Relaxing. Its quite a busy little restaurant, but you don't notice the crowds around you, especially not when you get a view from 8 floors up of the thames and the surrounding area. The food and wine were excellent....although quite expensive. If you want a nice romantic lunch or dinner then go here!

Favorite Dish: I cannot remember its exact name, but i had a chicken dish! Wow! I like my chicken, and this was definetly the best chicken dish i have ever had in a restaurant! Well worth the cost!

• Business Travel

• double-peace's Profile Photo

OXO TOWER RESTRANT: Nice View

by double-peace Written Jul 21, 2003

The great view from OXO

There are cources, so you choose from them. You can eat various International dishes. This restaurant is the 7th floor of OXO Tower, which is along the river Thames. It has a very nice view. You can see Thate Modern, St. Paul's Cathedral, the Tower Bridge, etc.
    Such a beautiful view is the best spice of the dish!

• Architecture
    • Business Travel

• Lozza_9's Profile Photo

OXO Tower: OXO Tower

by Lozza_9 Written Aug 25, 2002

OXO Tower is a very expensive restaurant but if you have a special occasion to celebrate while you are in London, this is the place to go. I went to the Tower for my birthday and I was there for about 4 hours. I would advise that the whole evening will be spent here.

In the summer there is a viewing gallery availabe. You can get some great sights of London.

While eating, you can see some great views of London.Here's a picture of the restaurant and the a view of St Pauls.

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near OXO Tower Brasserie
4.0 out of 5 stars