Rhodes Twenty Four Tower 42, London

Tower 42, Old Broad St +00 44 (0)207 877 7703

Drinks at the bar before dinner
    by sue_stone
    As seen from Rhodes Twenty Four Tower 42
    by bianchis
    Dining at Rhodes Twenty Four Tower 42
    by bianchis
  • sue_stone's Profile Photo

Rhodes 24: Rhodes 24 - fine dining with a view

by sue_stone Written Sep 14, 2006

Main meals - click to enlarge and see the full pic

Alex's 30th birthday was indeed a cause for celebration, so I organised a surprise dinner at Rhodes 24, which is a classy restaurant, with fabulous views. Rhodes 24 is located on the 24th floor of Tower 42, the tallest building in the 'City of London', and is one of celebrity chef Gary Rhodes restaurants.

The décor is modern and stylish and the views from the bar and restaurant are superb. Service was first class and the food was delicious. We started with a drink at the bar - they have some great cocktails on offer - and enjoyed the view of the nearby 'Gherkin' building, amongst others.

Favorite Dish: In the restaurant we were seated by the window, and so were able to check out the view throughout the meal. We enjoyed a tasty Amuse-bouche of Cauliflower soup whilst we perused the menu.

To start, Alex and Nik both had the Glazed lobster risotto thermidor, which was very rich but yum. I had the Asparagus, served 3 ways, which was also excellent, and Tandor had the Cumberland sausage with warm pickled cabbage.

Main courses were fantastic as well. Tandor and Nik both ordered the Roast loin of Veal with truffle macaroni cheese which they loved. Alex & I had the Rack of lamb (for two) with mutton hash - the lamb was perfectly cooked and the mutton hash was very tasty. The lamb was carved and served up next to our table.

We couldn't resist dessert - Nik, Tandor and I all had the delicious Pecan Pie with caramel pecan ice cream and Alex had the equally yum Warm chocolate pudding with kirsch cherries and black cherry ice cream.

All that food, plus cocktails, a couple of bottles of wine and then dessert wine for the boys, made it a pretty pricy evening. But the experience was so good that it was worth every pound.

• Luxury Travel

• jo104's Profile Photo

Rhodes 24: Gary Rhode's restaurant

by jo104 Written Aug 9, 2006

view from window of the restaurant

Gary Rhodes is a leading British chef, who has had various television shows & appearances, his trademark being a spikey hairstyle
    His passion is for traditional British food, although the food at this restaurant was varied

The view from the restuarant is quite spectacular being 24 floors high in Tower 42, panaromic views of the gerhkin & the city of London.

The food was incredible, a consume to start with to cleanse your palate & hors d'oeuvres. I chose the braised phesant ravioli with a creamy sauce scrumptious. For mains I selected veal on a bed of spinach accompanied by macoroni cheese & a tomatoe based sauce (yumm) For dessert a chocloat fondant with alcohol soaked cherries & cream. As this place is quite upmarket I am sure you can appreciate no pics of the food :-) I also cannot tell you how much the meal cost as someone else was paying, however I think it was reasonably priced for a choice of fine dining.

Favorite Dish: Everything was good, the staff were also friendly & proffessional

I suggest a Bellini to start your evening - champagne with peach puree

• bianchis's Profile Photo

Rhodes Twenty Four Tower 42: You go there for the view not the food

by bianchis Updated Sep 5, 2007

Dining at Rhodes Twenty Four Tower 42

When I booked this restaurant, I just wanted the view, I knew it would be expensive but then I didn't know who Gary Rhodes was until friends quickly updated me so I was awaiting something spectacular foodwise.

Well the view was spectacular and the food I found tasty but somewhat lacking in regards to presentation. The wine waitress poured the wine from the wrong side, which I find unforgiving in a restaurant of such class (didn't bother me but hmm for the price you pay you expect perfect service). The atmosphere was cool and the decoration bland but with such a view you can't really complain. You can see the "Gherkin" in all its glory.

We went afterwards to the Vertigo restaurant. At 590 feet, Vertigo is at the very top and offers a panoramic view of London. The next time I will go to this restaurant even though the a glass of Champagne costs more than £10.

Favorite Dish: Had fish on a potato mound (sorry I am sure it is called by a more sophisticated
    name) was good but not excellent

Instant Answers: London