Roast, London

Peaches and Cheese
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

Roast: Fresh From Borough Market

by riorich55 Updated Apr 11, 2011

After a full afternoon of touring London Tower we headed to the south side of the Thames by first walking across the Tower Bridge. Once we crossed we hopped on a bus to take us over to the Borough Market area for a dinner at Roast.

We arrived a bit before they opened at 5:30 p.m. so we put in a reservation for 5:30 p.m. and walked around the area a bit to take in a couple of the local sites. Since it was late in the day there were only a few retail shops open and the market itself was not fully functional on a Monday, but if it had been that would have been an experience we would have liked to had.

Anyway, 5:30 soon came and since we hadn't really had much to eat during the day (come to think of it we actually missed lunch and only had some rolls for breakfast) we were quite hungry.

Favorite Dish: Unfortunately, I'm writing this review a good 2 1/2 years after we ate here, but I still do have some notes of our trip and dinners. In addition, I have most of the bill receipts so I can also look at those and recreate. The inside pictures of the place did not turn out very well so I no longer have them, but I do have 3 food pictures which did turn out ok.

The pictures denote the following:

1) Peaches and Cheese for my Salad - Both were very fresh and the sweetness of the peaches was offset by the mild cheese.

2) You don't often see partridge on the menu (in fact I don't think I've ever seen partridge on any restaurant menu I've seen), so I ordered this dish which consisted of 2 meaty partridges in a pleasant broth. I hope these weren't the only partridges left in the pear tree.

3) Sue had the Hare (Rabbit) for dinner. She's often thought about getting back at those rabbits who keep eating away at her flowers in our backyard every year.

Also on my bill for the evening was an Earl Grey tea for 3 pounds, 1 Jug Tap Water for free (I don't remember the jug), and a drink called a Damson Blossom (not sure what it was, but I think we enjoyed it).

At the bottom of the bill a discretionary 12.5% service charge was added. Total bill for the evening including everything was 66.38 pounds.

The atmosphere was pleasant and was in a very nice location on the South Thames.

Peaches and Cheese Roast Partridges Sue's Hare Dish

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Roast: Above the market!

by gordonilla Updated May 11, 2009

It was a lunch meeting with two colleagues - and sadly I was a little late. However after finding the restaurant it was an excellent experience.

The staff were professional and very attentive.

The menu was excellent.

I understand a reasonable wine list is present too.

All in all a good place to visit.

Favorite Dish: Excellent dessert! I had a wonderful banoffee pie!

Entrance: Roast Interior: Roast

• Roast: Roast

by mke1963 Written Apr 12, 2007

You don't get much more London than Borough Market and it remains just far enough from the tourist mainstream to feel genuine, although it is definitely an upmarket place these days. However, upmarket doesn't mean expensive - necessarily - but the whole place is just classy. I am sure many locals decry the changes and the new look of one of London's better known markets, but it really is a wonderfully atmospheric place to wander around.

Perhaps the best part is eating at Roast, an unusual restaurant on the upper floor of the Floral Hall of the market. have a look at the photograph on their website to see what it used to look like. The Floral Hall was originally built in 1860 next to the Royal Opera House at Covent Garden, so is older than most buildings in every single city in the USA, and was built to store and sell cut flowers. However, it seems that the acres of glass turned the structure into a huge greenhouse and so most of the flower traders stayed across the road. But as the Covent Garden area was redeveloped in the 1980s, the Floral Hall was no longer needed and so was sold to Borough Market for one pound. This must represent one of the best real estate bargains in London.

The Roast restaurant sits up above the noise and activity of the market and is light and airy. Perhaps the star attraction other than the superb food is the simply amazing view of the dome of St Paul's Cathedral framed between warehouses and the railway arches. It's so unexpected that it is breathtaking.

To be honest, I'd go back again and again if the food was crap, but it's not: it's excellent.

Favorite Dish: It's difficult to state a specific favourite, there are so many wonderful dishes. Unsurprisingly they specialise in roasted meats and fish but the menu is extensive and incldes vegetarian options.

• Steve-H's Profile Photo

ROAST: The best of British.

by Steve-H Written Dec 31, 2006

There are so many special things about this restaurant, the location, the sourcing of the food, it's charitable connections and friendly staff and the great atmosphere. You will need to see their web site to see what I am going on about. Pretension & stuffiness, those great British bugbears are absent here, it was all smiles and friendly gestures, the staff are a credit and the management have a winning formula on their hands, great British food, sourced locally, cooked well. Simple and elegant, I thoroughly enjoyed my evening. The menu (please view it online) wasn't overly long or complicated, ditto the drinks menu and all the better for it, again there are plenty of English choices on it. There is nothing wrong with celebrating your Britishness in these politically correct times there are others who would rail against you but this restaurant is a beacon of all that can be good about this country and I pity those fools who think that foreign cuisine is the height of sophistication.
    "I can't think of a more appealing urban restaurant in which to linger while an autumn sun begins to set…. Chicken livers with toast were perfectly cooked…Pheasant was perfectly roasted…carrots with honey and thyme were immaculate" - The Guardian
    "Everything tasted sensational and was perfectly cooked…Make a date with Roast; like us you might end up loving it" - Time Out

Favorite Dish: I started with Pigeon Breast with a poached spiced pear (£8) still pink and perfectly complimented by the pear. My main course was a sublime beef Wellington with roast potatoes and braised red cabbage, that evenings special. Again cooked to perfection, the beef still pink and the portion size was generous, the beef was wrapped in a mushroom pate and not a fois gras, local sense prevailing there I think. My companions had a nice English pinot with their meals but I stuck to oatmeal stout from the Samuel Smiths brewery, a fine English beer, sweet and full of flavour it went very well with my two meat dishes. I skipped dessert, too full, but my companions laboured on and were very happy with their choices too.

Our table for the evening. The cocktail list is as tasty as the food
    • Wine Tasting

• jo104's Profile Photo

ROAST: Roast - Above Bourough market

by jo104 Written Jan 16, 2006

This restaurant specialises in the good old Engish roast, although it does excellent fish dishes as well. There is great views from both sides of this fabulous restaurant being the view of St Pauls on the one side & the bustling Bourough market on the other.

The food is delicious and the service is good. We ate in the floral hall, the flower shaped window came from Covent garden.

Favorite Dish: I had the honey & port roasted ham which was divine

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near Roast
4.5 out of 5 stars