Rock and Sole Place, London

4 out of 5 stars 9 Reviews

47 Endell St. WC2H 9AJ London +00 44 (0)20 78363785

Like eating under the sea
    by rexvaughan
    Everyone talking at once.
    by rexvaughan
    Summer's dehor
    by PALLINA
  • PALLINA's Profile Photo

The Rock and Sole Place: The Rock and Sole Place

by PALLINA Updated Apr 4, 2011

Summer's dehor

When I hear about Fish & Chips, I remember about the school time during English classes. I have always though it was rubbish English food but I have to admit that this place, founded in 1871, has destroyed my idea of fish & chips food. It was simply delicious and one portion was enough for two of us. You can either eat standing or sit, but indoor has very few tables. I would reccomend outside, if the weather permits.
    I dont think it is possible to reverve a table.

• Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Rock & Sole Plaice: Funky and tasty

by rexvaughan Written Jun 19, 2008

Like eating under the sea

If you are looking for something that will make you think you are in a 19th Century London Fish & Chips place, this is not it. I booked here because it is purported to be the oldest surviving Fish & Chips establishment in London but does not have that appearance. However, if you are looking for some really tasty fish and chips, this is the place. They seem to do a good take out business which is traditional and speaks well for them, but they also have a dining room downstairs which was just right for our group of about 16. The downstairs room has a funky, sea motif atmosphere with a quite homey feel and a friendly and capable staff. We met several friends here for dinner. I had called for reservations for 17 people which they did not seem to have on record but had no problem seating and feeding us. They also have tables outside for dining on the sidewalk.

Favorite Dish: I had cod and chips and found them about as good as I have had anywhere and fit my idea of the traditional dish. The chips were plentiful and cooked just how I like them - tender inside and crispy outside. The cod was also crispy and accompanied by a tasty tartar sauce. A quirk
    in their menu offered Budvar beer which is evidently the Czech version of Budweiser. I found I prefer it to its American cousin.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Rock, Sole & Malice: Fantastic Fish and Chips

by Gypsystravels Updated Dec 30, 2007

We were out and about and wanted to have a fish and chip meal during our brief stay. Because I was paying for the entire trip for myself, mom and Kris, I needed to keep my expenses low and this restaurant was exactly within my price range.

I would have to say that we really enjoyed our food here. The service was fast and attention, the food fresh and varied and the price reasonable.

Favorite Dish: Mom and I had the sole and chips, Kris had the shrimp scampi with chips.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Fish & chips: Rock, Sole & Malice

by cjg1 Updated Sep 22, 2006

This place came to me via word of mouth from a friend who heard of it from a friend on VT who found it.....
    You know how this goes.
    Anyway. It lived up to the hype for me. I sat here my last afternoon for a couple hours reading HHGG and eating my lunch. Since it was my only real experience with rain during this trip it was a nice way to watch the day go by before heading home.

Favorite Dish: I had the Cod. Simple. Good. I'm coming back for more during a planned long layover on my next trip this way.

• londonlover's Profile Photo

Rock and Sole Plaice: Adorable chip shop near Covent Garden

by londonlover Updated Aug 15, 2006

Rock and Sole Plaice

Traveling with my seafood-loving parents, I did some thorough research on the best fish 'n chips in London on my 2004 trip, and this was one of two I had chosen from various recommendations. Wow, we weren't disappointed! The decor is very casual inside, but the place is cute as a button. Hanging plants cover the outdoor sidewalk seating, and indoor you'll find plenty of locals who don't mind mixing with tourists to enjoy the fabulous fish and chips!

The name of the place is very clever--Rock, Sole, and Plaice being three types of fish they serve here. :)

Favorite Dish: See below...

• Audrey118's Profile Photo

Rock and Sole Plaice: Fish and chips around Covent Garden

by Audrey118 Written Jan 27, 2006

If you are around the area and want something local, there is this nice fish and chip. We had lemon sole which was flaky and sweet tasting fish while others had cod - i think it was frozen fish!!! The fish batter was crispy and very yum... The chips are thick cut, and at least not the processed type.... not crispy though. I cannot say this was my best fish and chip - i think my days in Sydney saw better fnc

• Dabs's Profile Photo

The Rock & Sole Plaice: Fish & Chips-another disappointment

by Dabs Updated Jan 2, 2006

The Rock & Soul Plaice

The Rock & Sole Plaice is written up in all of the guidebooks as the best place in central London to get fish and chips but I was entirely underwhelmed. I tried the haddock, my husband tried the cod. The haddock was not very good, the cod was good but not better than a dozen other places we've tried in London. If you want to try great fish and chips in central London, try Golden Hind near the Bond Street tube.

We sat outside at one of the tables, our waiter disappeared down the street for 10-15 minutes so we finally got up and paid the bill.

• londonlover's Profile Photo

Rock and Sole Plaice: Here's the main affair

by londonlover Written Nov 21, 2004

Mom and Dad are happy about their plates!

Here Mom and Dad enjoy their cod and chips--even though we were full at the end, we were very tempted to order a second helping, it was so good!

Favorite Dish: They have mushy peas on the menu--I wanted to try it, but chickened out. :) Now I wish I had, because the local guy sitting next to us had them, and they looked intriguing!

• phil_uk_net's Profile Photo

Rock and Sole Plaice: Rock and Sole Plaice - Traditional fish and chips

by phil_uk_net Updated Aug 6, 2003

Rock and Sole Plaice

What could be more traditional than fish and chips? This place is a classic English 'chippie' with outdoor seating in the better weather. Because of its location, not the cheapest chippie around but not expensive when compared to other restaurants around Covent Garden

Favorite Dish: Cod or rock eel and chips smothered with salt and vinegar and maybe a pickled onion.

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near Rock and Sole Place
3.5 out of 5 stars