Rules, London

Rules: The oldest restaurant in London

by Dabs Updated Feb 26, 2013

Ribeye at Rules

2nd visit July 2011

I've had Rules on my list of places to eat for as long as I can remember but for one reason or another I've never booked it. But we got tickets for "The Mousetrap", the longest running play in London for Saturday night so I thought Rules, established in 1798 making it the oldest restaurant in London, would be perfect.

We booked for 5pm and the restaurant was just starting to fill up, I imagine many nights they have no availability so be sure and make a reservation. They also send out a reminder email that you have to respond to so if you are traveling to London, you may want to check your email a couple of days before hand.

Our waiter was delightful, my dinner companion asked to purchase one of the menus and he gave them to us to take home. The interior of the restaurant is classic, covered with photos and antlers. It was a hoot seeing Rules on an episode of "Downton Abbey" when Lady Edith was out dining with her editor. I imagine Rules hasn't changed much from the 1920s! Or the 1800s for that matter!

Favorite Dish: My meal was simply delightful, I couldn't order my 1st choice because it required two people so I opted for the sirloin steak with bearnaise sauce and chips (£26.95) and they gave me a side of yorkshire pudding with no extra charge. It had a lovely flavor and I just can't rave enough about bearnaise sauce! I was too full for dessert and would have never been able to finish my meal if I had starters or salads or anything else.

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo

Rules: The oldest in town...

by BluBluBlu Updated Nov 9, 2006

Rules is London's Oldest Restaurant. It was established in 1798. Over the years Kings;Queens;Prime Ministers, and various celebrities have dined here. Rules serves traditional English / British food and specialises in classic game cookery, oysters, pies and puddings.

Favorite Dish: Most of them!

• clivedinburgh's Profile Photo

Rules: Oldest place in town

by clivedinburgh Written Dec 8, 2005

Rules is a very special place that has a great history. I visited on a works night out and had a meal fit for a king.

The food is mostly game that is reared on the owners Lartington Estate in Yorkshire thus ensuring the teatment and quality of the animals that eventually end up on your plate.

There are several rooms in the restaurant, some of which can be booked out for parties.

Favorite Dish: I had pheasant for the main course but the highlight of the night was the best port I have ever tasted (was probably the most expensive too).

• petdec's Profile Photo

Rules: The Best of English Cuisine

by petdec Updated Jun 17, 2005

Downstairs where we ate

Rules Restaurant has to be one of London's best.
    The cuisine is English and before you say "Whats That", I'm here to tell you that this place is superb.
    It has been in the same family for THREE HUNDRED years.They have their own farms where they produce their own food.
    It is fine dining at its height. Dont go without your credit card. The entrees start at nearly 40 pounds.
    As is to be expected at those prices, the service is wonderful,the wine list eclectic, and the food exquiste.
    I can't remember having eaten such a wonderful meal outside France(mind you, I'm a foodaholic.
    The atmosphere is understated elegance redolent with class.
    For anyone who really enjoys a fine-dining experience ,this is one to be relished. Highest recommendations. I took the photo' from the door,theyalso have upstairs and private rooms

Favorite Dish: I just love their Gallimaufrey( a sort of pate under glace)
    The flavours of pheasant, grouse,duck,and quail were so delicately mixed ,it is hard to describe. Suffice to say , it was absolutely Fabulous.

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• unexplored's Profile Photo

Rules: London's oldest restaurant

by unexplored Updated May 8, 2004

Opened in 1798 by Thomas Rule, this very posh and very British establishment is London's oldest restaurant and specialises in classic game cookery, serving up some 18,000 birds a year.
    During the long history of Rules, it has been noted for its famous clientele. More than 200,000 enter its doors each year, thus enjoying the environment that has been soaked up in the past by the likes of Charles Dickens, John Betjeman, Clark Gable, Laurence Olivier, William Makepeace Thackeray, Charlie Chaplin and H. G. Wells.

• will-care's Profile Photo

My favorite is Rules. Rules is...

by will-care Written Sep 12, 2002

My favorite is Rules. Rules is a very old and excellent restaurant established in 1798.The atmosphere is clubby and the food delicious meat and fowl. Dickens ate here.
    Dripping with History.

Favorite Dish: Beef of course but they have an excellent selection of game including'furred game' (whatever that is).

• rogercruse's Profile Photo

Rules Resturant.: Rules Resturant.

by rogercruse Written Aug 26, 2002

All the meat & game is produced from their own estates, so enjoy their steaks, pies, etc.

The resturant is mainly business people in suits at lunch time and tourists in chinos later and at the weekend.

This place is prefect if you plan to visit a London theatre, they have a pre / post theatre menu for about £20 and if you want that memory of London to tell people of a fantastic BRITISH resturant, then this has to be the place to go.

I've eaten their a couple of times and have never failed to be impressed with the service, the food, the atmosphere and their prices.

Favorite Dish: The Stilon Cheese after the meal - make sure you leave some room for it!

• Aragina's Profile Photo

RULES.: RULES.

by Aragina Written Aug 25, 2002

Rules is Londons Oldest restaraunt, and it has atmosphere, and old world charm.I have eaten there a few times and the atmosphere is great, you get the feeling that everyone in there is rich but thwey are all like me trying to make a great impression, but it has the ambiance where you can do it :-).

Favorite Dish: Game Pie with Thyme, Juniper & Redcurrants, Root Vegetable Puree & Mash. there is nothing like the anywhere, it is beyond delicious.

• phil_uk_net's Profile Photo

Rules: Rules - London's oldest restaurant

by phil_uk_net Updated Aug 6, 2003

Rules

Supposedly the oldest restaurant in London. Very traditional English food - lots of game dishes and proper puddings. Superb service.

Favorite Dish: Everything

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near Rules
4.0 out of 5 stars