Samuel Pepys, London

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

The Samuel Pepys -Vintage Inn: Romance by the River

by CdnJane Written Jun 5, 2004

Samuel Pepys from the water

The problem with mentioning a restaurant after many years is that, if it still exists, there are likely to be many changes for the bad or good. I think that this is the case with Samuel Pepys on Stew Lane. It took me time to locate it, and except for the map agreeing that it was where I thought it was supposed to be, it certainly didn't look like the place I'd been.
    I had a very romantic candlelight dinner here back about 1979 - it was on the Thames, and the man I was with was making sure that I had a wonderful evening. A red rose, and the atmosphere was old world charm, with the oaken beams. I could imagine Samuel Pepys being down there with his cronies.
    According to a website I found, they have modernized it, just keeping the shell, and changed the tone. Back then it was a pub with food, and now it is food with alcohol. However, it is still along the side of the river, and was pointed out by the riverboat tour guide.

Favorite Dish: Well, I couldn't tell you what to eat now because it is a different menu, and a different place altogether. The best part is still the location. I still think it is a romantic place to go.

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near Samuel Pepys
4.0 out of 5 stars