Savoy Hotel, London

Glazed omelette
  • Galaxy31's Profile Photo

Savoy Grill: The Signature Menu

by Galaxy31 Updated Sep 18, 2014

What can I say about Savoy Grill except it was a great experience with a great company
    and amazing dishes in a comfy and relaxing environment.
    I have purchased vouchers for this deal and I’m very impressed with the offer on the menu.
    The restaurant it's very light with windows at the front and mirrors on the pillars and walls and the big chandeliers gives extra warmth into the area.
    On arrival we have been shown to our tables straight away and we have been introduced to our waitress for the evening. The service was efficient and swift and enough time between the dishes to enjoy the conversation between us.
    As we were ordering wine our waitress send over the wine steward to go through our menu and which he did paired them beautifully with what were having for our dinner.
    We had the glazed omelette Arnold Bennet to begin with which it was so light and very tasty then it was followed by the Orkney mussels with a hint of chilli and ginger and very well cooked.
    I have opted for the Scottish salmon on crushed potatoes which that again it was well executed and the men they had the steamed steak and onion pudding which they have enjoyed very much.
    For a dessert our waitresses has brought over the trolley and with a theatre style flambé the strawberries which we had with vanilla ice cream.
    When we had the bill we have been treated to mini patisserie selection.

George Escoffier was a Frenchman that he has worked at Savoy hotel over 100 years ago and he put a love of great food at the heart of modern Britain

Favorite Dish: Glazed omelette Arnold Bennet so light it was melting it my mouth.

Orkney Scallops Glazed omelette Scottish Salmon Strawberries flambe Escoffier's menu

• Galaxy31's Profile Photo

Savoy Hotel: American Bar@Savoy Hotel

by Galaxy31 Updated Sep 10, 2014

Drinks at Savoy are not cheap but as it was a celebration we have chosen the Savoy for lunch and drinks.
    In 1903 the famous bar tender arrived at the The American Bar and it was a lady called Ada Coley’ Coleman. Her signature cocktail Hanky Panky it's still served at the bar.
    It was a great experience to have cocktails at the famous American Bar but not cheap. The cheapest it was £ 11.50 and that it none alcoholic one. The most expensive it was at £5.000 pounds and that's what I call money down the drain. The drinks came with dry toasted nuts and mixed olives with anchovies.
    Overall it was a great experience.
    Open : Monday to Saturday 11.30am to 12.00 am
    Sunday12.00pm to 11.00pm
    Smart casual. Not sportswear.

Favorite Dish: Cilantro Sling cocktail

Cocktails Cocktails American Bar Savoy Hotel Savoy Hotel

• planxty's Profile Photo

Savoy Hotel.: Closed for Refurbishment.

by planxty Updated Feb 3, 2011

Further update.

I am updating this again as I cannot seem to delete it. Current as of February 2011 apparently the Savoy is back, all beautifully refurbished and ready for your custom.

This is another closure notification and is accurate as of September 2009. The entire Savoy Hotel is closed (sonce 2007) for a £100 million refurbishment, therefore all tips about the restaurants there are no longer valid. I have posted this to save people potentially making a wasted trip.

It is due to re-open in 2010.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

The Savoy: The height of daintiness

by sourbugger Updated Nov 20, 2010

The very english tradition of afternoon tea is usually credited to a lady called 'Anna' who was the Duchess of Bedford. She apparantly got a bit peckish between Lunch and dinner, and so hit on the idea of a few sandwiches, a bit of tiffin and a cup of char to bridge the gap.

If she had turned up at the Savoy she would have needed either of the other two meals.

The afternoon tea is served in the Thames Foyer, a fine room with walls painted with rural scenes and a view of the river. The 'meal' comes on a three-decker cakestand with sandwiches at the bottom (no crust - naturally). The middle tier with French pastries and the top layer some great scones with their own little cover. There were also some other cakes and cheese pastry things on the side - all made on the premises.

I am convinced that the staff were trained by a band of Irish Mother-in-laws who just absoluetly insisted that you eat more sandwiches and cakes the moment some disappeared down your throat.

Book directly through www.fairmont.com or through and agency such as www.coventgardenlife.com

The prices below do not include the discretionary service charge.

Afternoon Tea at the Savoy :
    for whopping 81 pounds (for 2) you get :

selection of Fresh Finger Sandwiches
    (including Cucumber, Smoked Salmon and Tomato)

Delicious Home-made French Pastries and Tea Cakes

Home Baked Scones
    Served with Clotted Cream and Strawberry Preserve

A wide selection of teas including
    The Savoy's own blend and a range of herbal teas

Many other hotels and cafes will offera similar service - and a good bit cheaper.

• Savoy Hotel: Afternoon Tea

by Fra.da. Written Aug 2, 2006

Afternoon tea is a must in England. My first time to London I was 12 and I went to the Savoy Hotel for the 5 o' clock tea. It was an awsome experience. Going back to London with 20 persons who had never been to England before, I decided to bring them to the Savoy even though it was expansive (£27 each!) to try this experience. Well, I was not that satisfated that time.

Favorite Dish: Afternoon tea doesn't mean just tea, but also pastries, bakery, fresh fruit, homemade cakes... Food and tea was quite good, but not as good as ten years ago and I think it too expensive for what you get. So, even though I like having afternoon tea, I would'n recommend it at Savoy... Try another hotel or tea room!

Pastries

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Savoy Hotel: High Tea

by Etoile2B Updated Jul 15, 2006

One weekend, while living in Oxford, the girls and I decided to leave the boys behind and do something truly British, High Tea at the Savoy Hotel. We entered the grand dining room filled with ladies who lunch and families with some of the most well-behaved children I have ever seen. We were escorted to a low table surrounded by comfy couches and overstuffed armchairs and were instructed to settle in for the afternoon. The tea kept flowing, the scones and clotted cream melted our cares away and the sandwich tray was never empty. It was one of the most memorable afternoons in the city and one I would attempt to replicate any time. The service was impeccable, the food was plentiful and the experience was one not to be missed.

Favorite Dish: Traditional high tea includes finger sandwiches, scones and chocolates with your choice of coffee or, of course, tea.

The
    • Women's Travel

• rosie_b's Profile Photo

The Savoy Hotel: Classic Tea Time Pleasure

by rosie_b Written Jun 1, 2005

It is great to finally experience tea time in England. There are some places in London where you can do this, but one of the best and sophisticated places to have tea is the Savoy hotel. The room has a light peach-pink tone, with a white piano in the middle of the room. They presented us with a tea menu and after we ordered the teas we wanted, they served us the tea time snacks. The snacks were delicious and as soon as one plate was empty, they refill it right away. I think the service was excellent because they never left us wondering about when we needed something but at the same time, they were not intrusive either. Before coming here, it is best to have a reservation because you never know whether the restaurant will be full or not. I highly recommend people to go to an afternoon tea while they are in England, because it's the best way to experience the English culture and tradition.

Favorite Dish: The scones were probably my favorite items. They are so delicious, warm, and fluffy, served with strawberry jam and clotted cream. The tea that I had was pretty good too ( I think it was English Breakfast). The sandwiches are excellent, as well as the pastries. We had some chocolate cake, eclaires, and fruit cakes as well.

Afternoon Tea at the Savoy

• KelseyQ's Profile Photo

Savoy Grill: Modern British

by KelseyQ Updated Apr 2, 2005

Recenty redecorated in art deco style, this little gem in the Savoy hotel offers and excellent 3 course set menu on weekends.

Service is superb and the food is always a treat.
    This is a perfect venue for pre or post theater.

I think the set menu is very good value for money.
    If you have time, have a drink in the American Bar and walk around the hotel.
    It's gorgeous!

Favorite Dish: I really like how they offer a variety of wine and Champagne by the glass.

• Theater Travel