Shakespeares Head, Soho, London

Dining room
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Shakespeares Head: English Pub: Shakespeares Head

by pieter_jan_v Updated Oct 24, 2010

Shakespeares Head is a small pub that can seat 50 people. With fair weather there is outside seating as well. The building was constructed in 1735 and owned by Thomas & John Shakespeare, who were distant relatives of the poet. The pub sign is a reproduction of Martin Droeshouts' portrait of Shakespeare. On the first floor corner a Shakespeare's life size bust is located with one hand missing; a result of a WWII bomb that exploded nearby.

Shakespeares Head pub - London Shakespeares Head pub - London Shakespeares Head pub - London Shakespeares Head pub - London
    • Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• gugi66's Profile Photo

Shakespeares Head: Shakespeares Head

by gugi66 Written Dec 16, 2008

We found this restaurant by accident, we just wanted something to eat as we enterd the pub it was so crowded and we looked aroud for places to sitt, after a while we sat down by a long table with crazy tourists who were drinking. It was no tableservice, you had to go to the bar and order so we decided to leave as we were going for the exit I saw a narrow stair case going up and a small sign saying Dining area, so I went up to see what it was, when I opend the door it was a small dining room with about 20 tables so we went in and sat down. It was so quiet you couldn´t hear any noise from the pub or from the street, it was really coasy.

The service was really good, the vaitress explained all the menys and answerd all of our questions about the food. She eaven answerd some sigthtseeing questions. The surroundings was exellent really calm and soft and soft light.

A good restaurant for people in love.

Favorite Dish: I took FISH AND CHIPS with a bombardier beer and it was exellent.

My wife took 8oz SIRLION STEAK according to her it was ok, but shes wery wery picky with the food.

Fish and Chips (ketchup added by me) 8 oz Sirlion Steak Dining room Outside I��m drinking bombardier beer

• Elodie_Caroline's Profile Photo

The Shakespeare's Head: Olde fashioned charm

by Elodie_Caroline Written Apr 19, 2007

The actual restaurant is ok, it is set out in old English Oak and quite quaint looking, really Olde Worlde. The atmosphere is quite pleasant too, you really expect to see Henry the VIII to come walking through at any moment, with all of the high backed chairs and old fashioned tables etc.

Favorite Dish:
    None really. When we went in there, the food wasn't worth the money, you can get better in much cheaper cafes around the area, the food was rather overcooked I'm afraid. I'd much rather go to The new Piccadilly cafe restaurant around a mile away for anything to eat in the West End of London.

I really like the pub itself though, just not the actual restaurant food part of it.

the Shakespeares Head

• BerniShand's Profile Photo

THE SHAKESPERS HEAD: SERVICE WITHOUT A SMILE

by BerniShand Written Jun 20, 2004

They forgot my order, so everyone else at the VT meeting was half way through their dinner before mine arrived..........l did try eating a piece of paper l was so hungry, and when my food arrived l wished l had eaten it !
    the food was very mediocre, and the service was poor, the waitress was more concerned about getting us finished and out of the room than wether we had enjoyed our dinner

I was very disappointed, downstairs the bar is great fun, but l will definately not recommend it as a place to eat

Favorite Dish: none of them really appealed to me

downstairs, in the bar

• IngaA's Profile Photo

Shakespear's Head: Don't miss the VT meetings place :)

by IngaA Written Apr 26, 2004

The pub and restaurant made in that old English style. And Shakespear's head as a picture. Maybe they have good beer,,, maybe. I had coffee and it was good.

Favorite Dish: Coffee in the morning, that's what I remember. some cake in the evening, was soooo sweet, btw :)
    Well, the food was good but it was a bit too hard day (migraine drove me crazy) and sorry, I even don't remember what I ate there. In spite of what's usually said about British food, it was good. But don't ask me the name :)

• Beer Tasting

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

William Shakesphere Restaurant

by littlesam1 Written Jun 11, 2003

Thjis looked like a great place to eat on Carnaby Street. But we did not eat here. We really should have though. It would have made a much better tip here had we eaten at this restaurant. Its located on the corner of Cranaby Street right across the street from the little cafe where I had to large of a glass of wine.

• larsy's Profile Photo

Shakespeares head: Shakespeares head

by larsy Updated Sep 14, 2005

Nice atmosphere for the price ($12-15) for my meal

Favorite Dish: The scrumptious roast with delicious potatoes and Yorkshire pudding at a great price.

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near Shakespeares Head, Soho
4.0 out of 5 stars