Skylon, London

by sue_stone

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Skylon: Skylon - at Southbank

by sue_stone Written Jan 28, 2009

After reading mixed reviews I was cautious about going to Skylon - I liked the look of the venue and the views, but was worried about the food. But when the opportunity came for three of us to dine and have two courses each for free then it seemed like the perfect opportunity to give it a try.

We were dining in the Grill section, and were seated at a table by the window allowing us to enjoy the views with our meal (I had requested a window seat when I booked). Service was amiable but a little slow, and they seemed to forget about us on a couple of occasions.

Favorite Dish: Our free meal had to be ordered from the Pre-Post Theatre menu, which gave us five choices per course. Liking the sound of the desserts, we skipped starters, moving straight to mains. I had the Salmon and smoked haddock fish cake with baby leaves, sauce gribiche - I wouldn't usually order this type of dish, but I did enjoy it. My dining companions had the Confit Duck leg with puy lentils; and the Onglet with duck fat potatoes and spinach. Both dishes were happily devoured.

For dessert we had the Chocolate pecan brownie with strawberry & plum compote and vanilla ice cream (the brownie was a bit dry); the Milk chocolate mousse with praline crisp and coffee ice cream (not as good as it sounded); and the Banana Sticky Toffee Pudding (a success).

We did have a good experience at Skylon and the food was fine, even better as it was free. Not sure I would rush back though, perhaps in the future with overseas guests so they can enjoy the view.

Instant Answers: London