Stockpot, Soho, London

Stockpot (Jan 06)
    Stockpot (Jan 06)
  • The Stockpot: Food you can afford in the West End

by Mariajoy Updated Mar 11, 2006

If you are on a budget visiting London then there's no need to live on junk food when there are these little eateries tucked away where you can buy a decent dinner for the price of a Big Mac and fries. Established in 1958, this popular two storey restaurant in Panton Street in the West End serves traditional British food at VERY reasonable prices. Most of the tables were already reserved but the helpful staff were able to direct us to a vacant one. A meal for two (only one pudding) came to just under ?10.

Favorite Dish: We had sausage, egg, bacon, beans (bread would have been nice), and I ordered the vegetarian option of stuffed aubergine - which unexpectedly came with chips, carrots and peas (?3.70) plus soft drinks. I had the lime jelly and cream for pudding as I hadn't had jelly in SUCH a long time - it made a nice change!

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

The Stockpot: The Stockpot

by Kaspian Updated Feb 17, 2006

Stockpot (2006)

Another VTer and I made it a specific point to visit a Stockpot restaurant while in London because we'd heard they were very reasonably priced and a favourite with locals. This was a damp, cold night and we were dying for something warm and comforting to fill our bellies.
    Rumours were that the restaurant was always crowded enough that you generally had to sit at a table with strangers, but we hit this restaurant around suppertime and found it mostly empty. The inside decor was clean, simple, and lit with warm yellow light. However, it was maybe a little too stark--no tablecloths, very plain wooden furniture, and the simple wall prints give very little for the eye to look at.
    The menu consists primarily of "British Isles" and "English Continental" foods, whatever that means. I ordered the braised lamb with rice. God knows why, I never order lamb, but sometimes I like to mess with my own mind. The delivery of the meal was super-fast, delivered in less than five minutes. It was quite good though I eyed my companion's beef stroganoff with envy.
    This restaurant is child-friendly.
    Cheap, quick, and filling. 'Nuff said.

• Study Abroad

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Stockpot: Local fare for a reasonable price

by Dabs Updated Nov 10, 2011

Veal scallopini (2008)

Last visit July 2011

It's a common belief that you can't get anything decent or affordable to eat in the heart of the tourist district near Leicester Square but Stockpot lays that rumor to rest. I had seen numerous recommendations to eat here on various travel forums so on a cold January night before heading off to hear bloody gruesome tales of Jack the Ripper, Ed (Kaspian) and I stopped by the Panton Street location to grab a bite to eat.

It's recommended so frequently that I was surprised that the restaurant was mostly empty, but I suspect it's more popular as a workingman's lunch than for dinner. It's definitely no frills dining, the interior is perhaps one step up from a diner. Service was speedy.

Favorite Dish: I had the beef stroganoff, a hearty portion which was good and cheap and Ed had braised lamb which since he finished, I suspect he had no complaints about it. I think I even let him have some of my beef stroganoff. Both came with a side of chips (French fries to us Yanks) and some veggies.

On my 2nd visit, I tried the veal scallopini, the meat portion was a little small but still filling, it also came with chip and veggies. I tried the treacle sponge pudding with custard for dessert, it was pretty good but probably nothing I'd reorder. My total bill was L8 before service charge. They also had a 3 course set price meal for L7.80 with certain menu items. The specials change daily and they have a core menu as well.

Another place that has the same kind of fare is West End Kitchen, located right across the street from the Panton Street location. The quality of the food is about the same, you can check the daily specials on the boards outside the restaurant and pick whichever has the more interesting menu for the evening.

• Jennyjump79's Profile Photo

The Stockpot: Brightly colored soups

by Jennyjump79 Written Oct 27, 2003

Brightly colored soups

Great place to eat if you are travelling on a student or backpackers budget. Cozy, kitchen decor, friendly staff and a nice-sized meal at a very good price.

Favorite Dish: The veggie soup was good (despite being an odd shade of green). I also recommend the gammon ham (a little like the American ham steak, only more fatty.)

• Study Abroad

• feline01's Profile Photo

Stockpot: Stockpot

by feline01 Updated May 18, 2003

Someone liked their food too much

Nice cafe located near Leicester Square serving the major British food groups: tea, cheese, potato, bread and custard. Very filling and inexpensive for London. Makes a nice break from the tourist saturated environs.

Favorite Dish: jacket potatoes
    mushy peas
    cauliflower cheese (don't eat cheese anymore, sniff)

• phil_uk_net's Profile Photo

Stockpot: Stockpot - good food at bargain prices

by phil_uk_net Updated Aug 6, 2003

Stockpot, Panton Street

There are a few of these restaurants dotted around London. The formula is quite simple - good, basic food at reasonable prices. Can't go wrong really.

Favorite Dish: The menu varies daily.

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near Stockpot, Soho
4.5 out of 5 stars