Strada, Panton Street, London

Ravioli con pesto e pomodoro
    by toonsarah
    Pannacotta
    by toonsarah
  • South African lovelies and me at Strada (Aug 05)
    South African lovelies and me at Strada...
    by Dabs
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

Strada: Popular Italian chain

by Dabs Updated Jun 17, 2013

South African lovelies and me at Strada (Aug 05)

Last visit Panton Street location June 2013

I've eaten at Strada many times, it's a reliable chain with good, decently priced Italian food and there always seems to be one if you're wandering around with no clue where to eat. I've been to the Panton Street location four times, most recently in June 2013; 29 Kensington High St twice, most recently in July 2008; Great Queen Street in May 2011 and Earl's Court July 2011. The Panton Street location is close to the theater district and sometimes has a pre-theater menu with a starter and main or a main and dessert although I didn't see one on my last visit.

The restaurant is very popular and busy, if it's a weekend night you should try and get reservations. The service here is usually quick and efficient and it's one place in London where they don't find it odd to ask for table (tap) water and actually bring a bottle of complimentary water before you ask for it.

I have found discount coupons on their website and on Voucher Codes so it's worth a look before you travel to London. Literally everyone in the restaurant besides us had a coupon on their mobile phone, I had left my paper coupon at the hotel.

Favorite Dish: I used to order the same thing every time, the wood fired Bufala pizza, but it was gone from the menu in June 2013. We weren't terribly hungry so we ordered a margherita pizza and an insalata spinaci to split, the 1st bite of the salad my vegetarian niece practically gagged, there was bacon in the salad even though not listed on the menu so I let her have the pizza and ate the salad. The portion size on the salad, for 9.95£ was really small as well, it was the 1st time that I've been unsatisfied with a meal here. I'll probably give them another shot but it was not a good night out.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Strada: Good quality Italian food

by toonsarah Updated Feb 27, 2011

Ravioli con pesto e pomodoro

This is a smallish chain of Italian restaurants where we have consistently had good-quality food and friendly service. There are a number of branches in central London, of which we have visited two: Panton St (near Leicester Square and Piccadilly Circus) and Great Queen Street (near Holborn). The décor is restrained and modern – think plain wood tables and brown leather seating rather than Chianti bottles hanging from the ceiling!

Favorite Dish: The menu is quite varied. Starters include antipasto misto, bresaola, and several salads (my favourite is insalata di spinaci, with avocado and bacon). There are several pasta dishes and risottos (I can recommend the latter, and the ravioli con pesto e pomodoro which I really enjoyed on my last visit), pizzas cooked in a wood-fired oven, and a good selection of other main courses – another of my favourites is the salmone con lenticchie, a roasted fillet of Scottish salmon wrapped in pancetta and served with braised lentils, green beans and a mustard dressing. For dessert there are traditional Italian favourites such as tiramisu and pannacotta. There are usually a few specials too.

A three course meal will cost between £20 and £35 per person, depending on what you order. There are sometimes special offers - check the website below for details of any current ones. The wine prices are average for London, and a reasonable number are available by the glass. I also like the restaurant’s policy of providing free filtered tap-water as a matter of course.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Strada: Wonderful Italian food in London

by rexvaughan Written Oct 17, 2007

Happy group, good meal

Strada is a group of restaurants in the UK (I am not sure how widespread) which promotes itself as using only fresh and premium ingredients from Italy. I must say the dishes we had all tasted like this is true. The design of the restaurant is pretty and contemporary and the staff very professional and cordial. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and I am sure our pleasure was enhanced by the fact that we were with a small group of VTers that kept the evening lively and fun.

Favorite Dish: or starters I had a delicious spinach salad with avacado, pancetta and parmesan shavings and a nice mustard dressing and my wife had a Caprese bruschetta which was also quite good. For our entree we shared a Cotto pizza with ham, mushrooms, black olives, garlic, tomato and mozzarella. It was cooked in traditional Italian style in a wood fired oven and was very tasty. It was well washed down with a bottle of Chianti Gonfalone which is a nice all round dinner accompaniment.

We also shared dessert, a Fondente al Cacao, a wonderful "melting" chocolate pudding with vanilla ice cream. YUM!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Strada - 2nd tip: A tasty Italian restaurant! (no. 2)

by Jenniflower Updated May 18, 2006

Barbara, Maria, Anita, Sue and Jen (moi)

I am writing two tips re here as I have eaten here a few times and the one is downstairs (this one) and the other is upstairs at this restaurant.

The downstairs area suits larger parties more, the top area suiting smaller, more intimate meals.

A BIG thanks to Sue for organising this lovely evening out! Good food, wine, venues and company makes a GREAT combination! Well done I say, well done.

Favorite Dish: The food was scrumptious, the ambiance lovely. Our meals ranged form pizza to seafood risotto, and everyone loved their meals.

The wine was inexpensive and tasty, and service was great. Not obtrusive but at hand.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Strada ~ 1st tip: A tasty Italian chain!

by Jenniflower Updated Feb 28, 2006

Jen, Kristi and Jo

I am writing two tips re here as I have eaten here a few times and the one is upstairs (this one) and the other is downstairs at this restaurant.

Jo104 (Jo) and I met up at 5:45 by the statue of Eros, dripping with people as usual... at least people are better then bird poo!

We loped along to the restaurant where we were meeting the birthday girl (yes, it was Kristi's birthday!), armed with pink flowers (appropriate from Jenniflower I thought!) and some chocs (Jo's fondness haha), snapping shots of the restaurants and coffee places I frequent during my lunch hours (VT tips of course! lol).

Asking for a vase proved to be interesting though... hmmm.. we told the waitress that an ice bucket would do as she didn't have a vase, and she said she didn't have one.. only to produce one a few minutes later as if we had never asked for one... At least the flowers got some water!

Favorite Dish: The Bruschetta was a nice refreshing start, and the pasta filling and yummy. The house wine was easy to drink, but, most importantly, the company was great!

The birthday girl had her birthday pizza ~ a favourite dish of Kristi's! :) Jo and I had a pasta, with ham and mushroom. It was really tasty!

I have been to Strada twice before, once for a VT meeting with a group of giggling girls, and another time for a Hen Party for a colleague. Never disappointed in the food, or the wine.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• jo104's Profile Photo

Strada restaurant: Italian cuisine

by jo104 Written Aug 10, 2005

Jenniflower & myself met Dabs here

What a fantastic find, I came here on a mini VT meeting.
    The food is very good & well presented, the desserts are to die for.
    The food on offer is mostly Italian pizza’s & pasta, although they have daily specials as well as fish, chicken & meat dishes on the menu.

The restaurant is part of a chain & the one we went to has a large seating area downstairs as well as seating upstairs. We asked for a table as far away from the smoking area as possible & found it to be a very pleasant atmosphere. The staff were attentive & friendly.

Kristi had checked the special offers on the web site prior to our meeting & printed off a 25% discount coupon off the entire meal & drinks bill for up to a party of 6.
    The bill came to £18 each for 3 courses with a bottle of house vino shared – excellent value.

Favorite Dish: I had a starter of foccacia bread stuffed with caramelised onions, roasted peppers & cherry tomatoes, rosemary topped with a layer of warm goats cheese.

For mains I had the Penne with gorgonzola cream & parmesean

For pudding the Tiramisu which was so filling I could not finish it (how unusual)

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near Strada, Panton Street
4.5 out of 5 stars