Suchard restaurant, London

102 Tooley Street, London Bridge, London, SE1 2T +00 44 (0)357 6381

Suchard Restaurant, London, UK
    by planxty
  • planxty's Profile Photo

Suchard restaurant.: Excellent Thai food.

by planxty Written Jun 21, 2009

Quite late on a midweek evening (June 2009), my friend and I went to the Suchard restaurant. I have already eaten in their pub restaurant nearby (subject of a seperate tip), so fully expected the food to be good and we were certainly not disappointed. There are many, many Thai places in London, including a lot of pubs doing Thai food, but this place really stands out for me foodwise.

We shared a Pad Thai and a gado gado (basically a Thai slad with a peanut sauce) which is worthy of special mention. I opted for a jungle curry with sticky rice and asked that it was prepared spicy, in the authentic fashion. I have had jungle curries in the UK before and they can be quite bland, as I suspect the chefs do not want to overdo it on the chilli. Well, I have to say, it was positively volcanic, extremely tasty and just how I remembered it from my various travels in Thailand. Excellent stuff if you like a bit of kick to your curry. My companion declined my offer to share!

Now, it must be said it is not the most upmarket looking restaurant I have ever been in, but I am rather more interested in the food. Certainly, it is spotlessly clean. Service was quick, although it was pretty quiet at the time we visited. At just under £24, including a beer each, I thought it was very good value for central London, and would certainly recommend it.

Favorite Dish: Honourable mention for the gado gado but I have to choose the jungle curry. Ask for it to be prepared spicy, if you like that sort of thing. You will not be disappointed.

Suchard Restaurant, London, UK
    • Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near Suchard restaurant
4.5 out of 5 stars