TAS Bloomsbury, London

Tas: Turkish food

by Dabs Updated Jun 12, 2013

Iskender kebab

Last visit June 2013 with my niece

I've eaten at Tas five times, most recently at the Bloomsbury location near the British Museum with my niece. At lunchtime on Monday there were only a few tables filled. You can see their other locations on the website below.

Favorite Dish: On this visit we ordered the Yaz set menu for two, a sampling of vegetarian hot and cold mezes including borek, hummus, falafel, tabbouleh and several other dishes for 9.15£ per person. There's also a Renk set menu which has hot and cold mezes which are both vegetarian and non vegetarian although only a couple of the dishes had meat or fish, I've had that on a previous visit. Both are a good value and give you a good sampling of the various Turkish appetizers, more than we could eat.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

TAS Bloomsbury: Exclusive VT restaurant

by pieter_jan_v Updated Apr 4, 2011

TAS at night

We picked TAS for our London VT-meeting, because it was close to our hotel and the Oxford Straat/Soho area shopping. Furthermore it's easy to travel to by tube.

The Bloomsbury restaurant is one 6 TAS restaurants throughout London, the others are located at:
    -20-22 New Globe Walk
    -37 Farringdon Rd
    -33 The Cut, Waterloo
    -98 Isabella St
    -72 Borough High St

The hardest part is making your pick from the extensive menu.

Also the vegetarian menu has many items.

Special group menu offers.

Hours:

• Wine Tasting

• Tas: FanTAStic!

by Mariajoy Updated Apr 4, 2011

Trekki, toonsarah, me, jo104

We went to Tas for a little VT meeting dinner with, Jo104, Trekki and toonsarah (Sarah) who recommended this delightful Greek/Turkish restaurant in Bloomsbury. It was Trekki's birthday while she was visiting London and so it had to be something really special and it was!!

The restaurant was busy, (always a good sign!), and we were seated immediately as Sarah had prebooked. The waiters were friendly and attentive and perfectly understanding when we explained that our party of 7 was now, for various reasons, down to 4.

Upon arrival we were immediately given small bowls of delicious bread, olives, and dip to help us decided on our main courses! and the fresh bread just kept on coming! We were also offered a choice of bottled spring or sparkling water - accept neither and ask for a JUG of cold tap water - in London this is drinkable and free! We found the Greek wine a little sweet for our taste but the music. ambience, and delicious and plentiful food more than made up for that!

Favorite Dish: The range of vegetarian options here is exemplary and I had no trouble deciding on the Tulus - a mix of various roasted mediterranean vegetables in a basil and tomato sauce with cous cous and yogurt. Others had lamb, chicken and moussaka and everyone was more than satisfied with their meal!

• Women's Travel
    • Trains

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Tas: Middle Eastern delight

by toonsarah Updated Feb 27, 2011

Dinner at Tas

With Ingrid (Trekki) in town and a birthday to celebrate, what better excuse can there be for a VT get-together? Our choice was Tas, a restaurant I’ve visited in the past with work colleagues and found to be very good at satisfying mixed tastes within a group, especially if vegetarians are among them. And it didn’t disappoint on this occasion either.

As soon as you sit down you’re given baskets of good crusty bread, olives and a slightly spicy yoghurt based dip. You can then choose from the a la carte menu, or do as we did and go for the group one. This consists of a selection of meze served for the whole table, followed by a main course each chosen from a list of about ten. The meze are all suitable for vegetarians, and include hummus (my favourite), an aubergine and tomato salad, broad beans with sour cream, tabouleh, falafel and borek (another of my favourites, a filo pastry filled with feta cheese). The main course selection also includes several vegetarian dishes such as stuffed aubergines or spinach with potatoes. My own choice on this visit was tavuk guvech, a dish of chicken cooked with ginger, mushrooms, onion and tomato. This was moist and full of flavour, though the ginger could have come through more strongly for my taste. It was accompanied by good basmati rice. Other dishes sampled by our group, and tasted by all, included a very generous portion of mousakka and the Tas special, lamb cooked with potatoes, onion and oregano. The latter was perhaps a little salty, but generally the dishes were well-received.

The service was friendly and the crusty bread kept coming. We had no room for dessert but the fresh peppermint tea made a good end to the meal. The bill was a very reasonable £25 per person, which included a bottle of house white wine and some yoghurt drinks as well as all the food and teas, and service. The group menu itself costs £17.95 (price when updated in February 2011) for the meze, main course and the various extras such as bread, olives and rice – excellent value for central London.

We ate in the Bloomsbury Street branch of this small chain, which is the only one I’ve visited, but friends tell me the one near Waterloo is also good. For a complete list, please see the website below.

Favorite Dish: On other occasions I have managed a dessert, and can really recommend the Pekmezli Yoghurt - a dish of fresh yoghurt served with homemade grape molasses and walnuts.

• jo104's Profile Photo

Tas Restaurant: Tas Restaurant / Turkish style food

by jo104 Written Aug 20, 2008

Starters

Toonsarah arranged a vt meeting here for Ingrid & the food was superb and plenty of it. We opted for the set menu which meant shared starters & a main course. The starters were humus, tabule, aubergine mix, spinach dish, broad bean dish, falafel and borek all vegetarian plus plenty of bread to fill up on! I then ordered the moussaka it was a huge portion very enjoyable.

The service was friendly with the waiter taking our picture several times with the different cameras. We all rolled out of there feeling slightly heavy but content. The house white wine is a little on the sweet side so be aware if you don't fancy that.

• SallyM's Profile Photo

Tas: Turkish style

by SallyM Written Mar 20, 2008

There is a small chain of about 6 Tas restaurants in London. I have been to the Waterloo and Bloomsbury branches.

The decor is contemporary and the food is Turkish and absolutely delicious.

As well as individual dishes, if you are with a group you can order a group menu with a variety of starters to share, plus individual main courses for £16 per head.

Favorite Dish: Kalamar Yahnisi: squid with chickpeas, lentils and orange. It sounds a bit strange but it is absolutely delicious.

For dessert: Kayisi Tatlisi: dried apricots with cream, almonds and pistachios.

• Museum Visits

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Tas: Turkish @ Tas!

by Jenniflower Updated May 18, 2006

Interesting Hansi... haha

We went with a group of VTers to Tas, with Kat (keida84) as our hostess. This was the night before the BIG MEET in London! :)

The restaurant is airy, bright and modern. Bathroom is clean and tidy (ALWAYS a good sign...)

Now and again there was a flare of fire shooting up from the stove, at which time everyone swung around in their seats to see what was happening! Waitrons were upbeat and the mood was fun-filled.

All very exciting and fun.

Favorite Dish: The food and service was generally very good. I had a lamb dish which was yummy, and stayed safe by ordering ice cream for dessert... some of the ice cream flavours were amazing... coconut.. cinnamon etc. I had plain chocolate.

Daring huh? lol

The food and company was great, the only rather odd thing about this restaurant was this chap with a beard who kept taking videos of us eating and laughing! Very strange hey???

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

TAS RESTAURANT: TURKISH DISHES

by LoriPori Updated Mar 10, 2006

TAS Dish

There was a small get-together at the TAS RESTAURANT by some VT'ers.
    TAS is open 7 days a week and offers many Turkish delights such as for Appetizers: Humus ( Pureed chickpeas with tahini, garlic and lemon ) @ 3.55 ; Enginar ( Fresh artichokes cooked with carrots, potatoes, garlic and tomatoes in olive oil ) @ 3.95; Kanat ( Marinated chicken wings ) @ 3.75. Salads: Yesil Salata ( Lettuce, cucumbers, fresh mint, fresh dill, green pepper and celery ) @ 3.45; Findikli Nareksili ( Hazelnut, lettuce and pomegranate ) @ 4.15. Rice: Sade Pilaf ( Plain Basmati rice ) @ 2.15. Pasta Dishes: Etli ( Lamb Meat Pine Kernels and paprika ) @ 5.85. Vegetarian Dishes: Mantar ( Mushrooms, tomato, onion, red & green peppers, cashar cheese ) @ 7.25. Grills, Casseroles. Fish and Shellfish. ( from 7.25 to 14.45 ).

Favorite Dish: In the TAS brochure they write " TAS is our traditional Anatolian cooking pot used to prepare casseroles. All our dishes are prepared daily from fresh ingredients, some organic products and olive oil."

• keida84's Profile Photo

Tas: Turkish Delights

by keida84 Written Feb 2, 2006

Hans and Kat @ Tas London 2006

I hosted a get together on a Friday night in January. I wanted to find a restaurant that would be different but fun, relaxed and casual without a huge price tag. I selected Tas because it was within walking distance of my hotel, with reasonable prices and a nice environment for us to gather in. The decor has a clean linear look to it. The kitchen was behind a low counter and we could see the chefs preparing the food, every once in a while there would be a flare of fire shooting up from the burners on the stove, it created quite a buzz in the restaurant once we realised they were doing it for "show."

Favorite Dish: For starters we opted for several dishes, one was traditional hummus dip and bread. Another version of that was made with eggplant and it too, was quite tasty. Many ordered the lamb I however, opted for a pasta dish which was quite tasty. I did not have dessert which is unusual for me. Everyone commented on the savory flavor of the food and were pleased with their meal. A long walk back to the hotel was welcomed as i felt I was heavily ladened down with food.

The Tas waitstaff was curteous and efficient. A great restaurant and a great place to meet people. Nect time you are in London give it a try.

Instant Answers: London