Taro Sushi Bar, London

• thecatsmeow's Profile Photo

Taro: Sushi Noodle Bar

by thecatsmeow Updated Jun 1, 2006

Outside Taro

This is a little place off of Piccadilly Circus where we had dinner with Haldane (Kay) and her daughter Sugababe (Keziah) and Jenniflower (Jen). Good food at a very reasonable price. Small inside and it gets full fast. While we did not have to wait there was a long line by the time we were done. Service was good and we really enjoyed our meals. Just your average noodle dishes and of course sushi are the staples here.They have a nice selection of vegetable dishes for those who do not eat meat.

Favorite Dish: I had a very good chicken yakisoba dish which is fried noodles with chicken and vegetables. Don had a chicken teriyaki dish which was grilled chicken and vegetables in a tereyaki sauce served with rice. My dinner was 5.50 pounds and Dons was 5.00 pounds. Drinks are extra of course but not bad. my cola was 1 pound and Dons Kirin was 2.20 pounds. Over all it was a wonderful meal with great company .

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Taro: Taro in Soho ~ my favourite find!

by Jenniflower Updated May 18, 2006

My brother and friend @ Taro

An unassuming place, Taro is my favourite little Japanese restaurant in the West End. It is always very busy and caters to a lot of Japanese and local Londoners. To get a table I always ensure I get there before 12:30, as it is not a huge restaurant, and fills up quickly.

I have been coming here loyally about twice a month since 2002, to the point where I am known on a first name basis! Haha Andy is the manager and he is very friendly and diligent.

The owner is Taro, a very, very short man who bows when he sees someone he knows. In Japan this is a sign of respect, and this only adds to the warm welcome.

It's really fascinating watching the sushi chefs at the back of the restaurant creating sushi - it is also nice watching the other chefs make the other meals. There is order and calm in the open kitchen.

The staff are friendly and polite. If you ask for mineral water, you get a glass - but if you ask for tap water, you get a colourful plastic cup haha

Taro has another restaurant just up the road, in Covent Garden, slightly larger than the Brewer Street one, but as nice.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish is the pork or vegetable ghoza for starter and then the chicken teriaki don for my main meal. The Asahi beer is also nice, although I usually make a shandy out of it.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!! What it lacks in decor it more than makes up for in every other way.

UPDATE 18 May 2006 ~ I went to Taro today with 4 other coleagues and had my usual - Chicken Teriaki Don... just as nice as ever *sigh* I am starting a strict diet on Monday, so this will be the last time I go in a while (SOB).

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• phil_uk_net's Profile Photo

Taro: Taro

by phil_uk_net Written Aug 26, 2002

A nice little Japanese restaurant in the West End. Always busy and caters to a lot of Japanese (which must surely be a good sign). If I go there alone I normally sit at the counter and watch the chefs. Excellent food and not expensive. Friendly staff.

Favorite Dish: The pork dumplings to start with and then anything.

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near Taro Sushi Bar
305 Opinions