The Last, London

The Last: Good for lunch near Holborn

by toonsarah Updated Apr 18, 2014

The Last - entrance area

Update April 2014: website added

I have been here now twice, both times for lunch. One of its plus points is that it is large and always seems quiet, despite being in a busy part of town where lots of office workers and business people are likely to be looking for a bite. And it isn’t because the food is poor, though it is a bit dearer than the average round here, which may have something to do with it. But I think it’s worth paying for, as the service is pleasant but unrushed, the large dining area tastefully furnished with well-spaced tables, and the food good.

Favorite Dish: On my first visit I only wanted a light meal so chose the “fish-cakes” (actually just one fish-cake!) from the starter menu, accompanied by a side salad of rocket and parmesan. This was fine, but the lunch I had on a more recent visit was far better – a main course dish of artichoke-stuffed ravioli served with a sage and walnut butter. This was very tasty, and served in a manageable size for a lunchtime meal in my view. With bottled water, espresso and service, my friend and I paid £29 for the two of us.

There is also a wet fish counter at the entrance where the catch of the day is displayed – an unusual touch in a city place like this.

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near The Last
4.5 out of 5 stars