The Real Greek, Bankside, London

by Cham
    On the outside
    by miso80
  • miso80's Profile Photo

THE REAL GREEK SOUVLAKI & BAR: A Drink & Yummy Olives on a Sunny Day :o)

by miso80 Updated Apr 4, 2011

On the outside

After checking out St. Paul's and walking across the Wobbly Bridge, we decided that we needed to take a break and perhaps a drink at this greek restaurant on the bankside, and right next to the Globe Theatre. It was still noon, and we'd rushed out to see as much of London as we could manage to see...

It was a sunny day, and so we chose to sit outside on the wooden deck..and watch the world pass by :) To make that lazy morning even more enjoyable, we ordered out drinks and some yummy olives. This place is very down-to-earth, and the waitress was friendly.

Since we didn't have much to eat, I can't say anything about the food..but from the other reviews I've read on this place and from 'Time Out's' reviews, it is said that this place offers great souvlaki's and other dishes..it also has a bar on its inside, and is quite spacious.

In any case, if you need a cool drink and something to nibble on a lovely sunny day...pay this place a visit, and see for yourself :)

• Cham's Profile Photo

The Real Greek Souvlaki and Bar: The Real Greek?

by Cham Written Sep 20, 2006

The Real Greek? I'm not so sure

As the name says, it's a Greek restaurant situated right on the south bank of the Thames River, which means that whilst eating you get great views of the city skyline. It also means that this is a place where you'll be seen especially if you're eating outside as this is a very busy pedestrian area.

The service is pretty good here and the atmosphere is nice and relaxed however I don't think the food is really all that great. The way i look at it you can get to know a medditerranean/middle eastern restaurant in two simple ways... Order Olives and Hummous... if these are good then you know you're in a good place.

However the mixed olives we ordered tasted like they'd been sitting in a jar for a few months and the hummous wasn't up to my Snobby Hummous Inspection Test. Honestly though I don't know whether it was the restaurant or Greek food. I used to Love greek food until i discovered lebanese food... that's when i realised that most of it was similar but not as good. Of course being in such a prime position also means that you'll pay a prime price. Its not as expensive as say eating in the oxo tower but it's by no means cheap for what you get either.

The one saving grace in this place though is Amstel, the greek beer of the gods, in a former life it was known as ambrosia... ok i'm only joking about that but the beer is great on a hot summers day sitting by the Med or the Thames in this case.

Favorite Dish: Amstel

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near The Real Greek, Bankside
4.5 out of 5 stars