Wahaca, London

tasty food
  • SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

Wahaca Covent Garden: Great Mexican Food - Central

by SurfaceTravel Written Sep 6, 2011

This is a casual restaurant in an excellent location, right in the tourism dead-centre of London. It's almost fast-food, but it is table service; very good and fast by London standards.

I've never been to Mexico, really, so I have no idea what "authentic" Mexican food is. I can say, however, that it is quite different to the "Tex-Mex" food I have eaten in the States before. This food seems softer, fresher, and much more flavourful. I'm guessing it's more authentic. It's delicious.

We had supper for two adults and one child, including a glass of wine and a coffee for £53, quite reasonable by London standards. We will be visiting again. There is also one in Soho, Canary Wharf, and White City.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Wahaca: Wahaca - Mexican near Covent Garden

by sue_stone Written Apr 30, 2008

Wahaca Selection

Wahaca, a trendy new Mexican restaurant near Covent Garden, is a busy place. Arriving at 6pm (pre-theatre) there was already a queue. Thankfully it was a short wait and we were soon seated in a good position with a view of the kitchen.

This is not the place for a lingering romantic meal - it is large, noisy, and service is fast. Perfect for a quick meal before heading elsewhere. Staff are everywhere and several different people attended to our needs throughout the meal.

Favorite Dish: Wahaca specialises in "Mexican Market Eating", serving up small portions perfect for sharing - Mexican tapas if you like. You can order a "Wahaca Selection" - a set platter with an assortment of small dishes, or make up your own selection. They also have larger meals, such as Burritos, Enchiladas or even a steak, and the various salads served in a crispy tortilla bowl looked great.

We ordered a selection of dishes along with the Wahaca Selection, between four of us. The food was plentiful, cheap and delicious. Particularly loved the steak tacos and the side dishes of frijoles and esquites.

For dessert we shared some Mango sorbet (icy delicious), and some Churros y chocolate - Mexican donuts which you dip in a rich chocolate sauce. Unfortunately the churros were very oily, though the chocolate sauce was mmmm good.

• Beer Tasting

• josiejo's Profile Photo

Wahaca: Good Mexican Food, in Covent Garden

by josiejo Written Oct 14, 2007

There's food for everyone here - spicy, mild, meaty, veggie - all mexican, and all locally sourced from places like the New Covent Garden Market. It's a clean, spaced out restaurant - reminded me a bit of Wagamama, though without the long tables. Staff were friendly, and quick to serve us. There are different menus, the street food, where you can order a couple of dishes and share, or larger plates, a platter, plenty of starters, and side dishes, and of course, cocktails.

What made it so special? The music wasn't too loud in the background, the food was excellent, and served quickly, the cocktail I had was tasty and possibly the best Mojito I've had - I just didn't have any criticisms about the place at all.

On the way in, there are matchbox-book shaped packages - grab some! Inside these books are actually Jalapeno Pepper seeds, so you can grow your own! A really nice touch.

Favorite Dish: I don't have a favourite, though all the Veggie dishes I tried were damn fine. You also get additional salsa to put onto your food, and each table has a hot pepper sauce (made in Cornwall, where apparently the climate is good for peppers) - I asked our waitress whether you could buy the sauce, unfortunately, you can't - but you should be able to soon.

Everyone really enjoyed their food.

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near Wahaca
4.5 out of 5 stars