Yauatcha, London

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Yauatcha: Yauatcha - superior dim sum

by sue_stone Written Aug 23, 2008

Venison Puffs and Prawn Cheung Fun

Why did it take me so long to visit Yauatcha? I think because I thought it was some sort of pretentious, expensive place where only the 'beautiful' people could get a table. I was so wrong, well they let us in didn't they!

Booking in advance, we got a table at Yauatcha for a Sunday lunch. After some serious browsing in Carnaby Street before hand we were ready to sample what we hoped would be some pretty special dim sum, and happily our experience lived up to expectation.

We had booked a table on the ground floor, and I'm glad we did. The downstairs, whilst interestingly decorated, looked a bit cramped and dark, especially on a sunny day. The service was friendlier than I was expecting and I was impressed with their efficiency considering how busy the restaurant was.

Knowing the menu was going to be large, and not being dim sum experts, I did some research in advance to see what dishes others recommended. This did indeed make the ordering process easier, though we still took our time, starting with a couple of interesting sounding cocktails - the Kumquatcha and the Lalu (or something like that), neither of which I was too keen on.

Favorite Dish: The food we ordered was:
    Har Gau
    Scallop and Kumquat Dumplings
    Baked Venison Puffs
    Prawn Cheung Fun
    Pork, Prawn and Tofu balls
    Pork and Century Egg Congee

My favourites were the Prawn Cheung Fun and the Venison Puffs - those tasty little venison parcels were as good as everyone says. The congee wasn't something I had had before - a type of creamy, rice soup with pork and preserved egg, the latter tasting better than it looked!

Can't believe we didn't have room for dessert, as they have amazing looking cakes on display which you can buy to take away too. My next visit may well just be for tea and cake sampling. And perhaps a cheeky serve of Venison Puffs too...

• Luxury Travel

• Zarasher's Profile Photo

yautcha: Dim Sum at its best

by Zarasher Written Nov 26, 2005

Nice decor... great food... so much to choose from and excellent cocktails... Toilets are stunning too!

Favorite Dish: Jasmine Smoke ribs... oh so tender
    Spinach Cube ... divine
    Golden Dumplings... scrumptious
    Turnip cake... Tastes like black eyed pea cake (moi moi or acarje)

If I could only choose four thing thouse would be it!

• Luxury Travel
    • Women's Travel

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near Yauatcha
5.0 out of 5 stars