Harrods, London

87–135 Brompton Road +44 (0) 20 7730 1234

Know about this? Rate It!

• Harrods
    by albert34
    Part of the Egyptian Escalator
    by xoxoxenophile
    Chocolate display in the food halls
    by xoxoxenophile
  • husain's Profile Photo

by husain Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Harrods at Knightsbridge

A store where you get pretty much everything- and all packed into famous green Harrods bags...

Owned/ run by the famous businessman- Mohamed Al Fayed, the store also has an interesting Egyptian section.

I went in looking for some sports merchandise etc, and found a whole floor that catered to the stuff i was looking for...

Store timings:

• Business Travel

• MJB123's Profile Photo

Department stores: Harrod's

by MJB123 Updated Apr 4, 2011

In my first trip to London, I didn't go to Harrod's and always regretted it. This time I had a chance to and see for myself what all the hype was about.
    First of all, WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE in every nook and cranny of this place and the prices are quite high by even American standards 60 Brtish Pounds for a shirt? No thank you.
    Okay, why don't I just have a bite too eat at the cafe. It seems there are at least 20-30 people who had the same idea and are in line waiting for a table. Forget it .

What to buy: Unless your last name is Trump or Gates not much to buy here that will not require paying in monthly installments because it is so expenisve.
    Oh well, at least I can take a spectacular picture of the magnificent Egyptian stairwell Dottie Fayed had built.
    I seems bright enough that the picture won't come out dark when I have it developed.
    Oh well...you really have to be there anyways to appreciate it's grandeur.

What to pay: Two words: second morgage.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

Harrods: A must see place

by Callavetta Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Museum of Shopping

Harrods, owned by Mohamed al Fayed since 1985, may be the most famous Department Store in the World. I made at least three trips to London before I ever stepped foot into it. To be fair, I must say that I am not a shopper. But a trip to Harrods is not just a shopping trip. It's more like a visit to the Museum of shopping!

Huge, with a map available as soon as you walk in the door, the store is filled with amazing, elegant items. Walk through acres and acres of perfumes, cosmetics, purses, accessories, socks, shoes, sunglasses, linens, clothing, furnishings.... and you haven't even yet embarked on my three favorite Harrods destinations.

The Food Court

Holy Moly! This place is incredible. Do NOT miss a stroll through Harrod's food courts. Several rooms are set up like individual markets and cafes and restaurants. Amazingly they have recently added a Krispie Kreme! You feast on sushi, cheese, a seafood bar, rotissery fare.... on and on. And each will net you a free pass to destination #2....

The Restrooms

Very luxuious and costing 1 GBP to enter, take a break in this lounge. Try out one of the lovely perfumes set out by the mirrors.

The Bookstore

I love the bookstore here. One of the greatest things is that there are often paperback books that have been signed by the author. I have found a couple of favorites that make great gifts. I could spend hours in the Harrods Bookstore.

What to buy: Harrods has loads of logo stuff. If that's what you're looking for, wait until you are leaving and buy at Heathrow. After passing through security, you will find a lot of the same things Duty Free. When you consider that VAT is 17.5%, that's a considerable savings.

What to pay: Most things are pricey. Some are more standard.

• shohman's Profile Photo

Department stores: Harrods

by shohman Updated Apr 4, 2011

Ok, I had to go to the world famous Harrods. Yes, they have the trendiest clothes around, but the prices are astrnomical. FLy to Orlando, visit the many designer outlets, and stock up! You will probably save your airfare with the clothing discounts you'll get here. But it is certainly worth a look.

What to pay: Don't spend anything, visit the States and get 75% off

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

Harrods: The finest shop in London

by Britannia2 Written Apr 2, 2011
    Harrods

Harrods is Londons most exclusive department store - I guess many people visit here just to see the store for its grandeur and style and never buy anything!
    This is elegant shopping at its best where the staff are attentive and the restaurant as expensive and tasteful as the goods on offer.
    You may also see stars or well known people shopping here and well worth an hour of anyones time.

What to pay: Lots! Quality comes at a price.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Harrods: Shop the Food Halls

by cjg1 Updated Mar 16, 2011

Harrods Food Halls are amazing! There is so much to see from the seafood, poultry, meats, cheeses, pastry, cakes, ice cream, vegetables, fruit, jams, jellies, spices, chocolates, teas, coffee and candy. My wife loves coming here to buy a few items for back home; when she was living here she made Harrods her weekly shopping destination.

Our last visit to Harrods we bought some English Butter Toffee, Rose Tea, Blood Orange Tea and some tasty shortbread.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Harrod's: Harrod's

by cjg1 Updated Mar 16, 2011

Harrod's #1 Shopper Returns.......

Harrods is a huge department store; it amazes me the size of it. There is so much inside from clothing, furniture, jewelry, cosmetics, food, toys and gift items. Allong with all the merchandise is the sheer beauty of the place. Each department and floor is decorated beautifully; it's a place you definitely look all around.

We love shopping here around the holidays especially Easter and Christmas when the store is decked out in holiday merchandise. Christmas is our favorite though with the large Christmas department with ornaments and special gifts.

The salespeople in this store are incredible. They are helpful and give you their personal attention. I wish all stores were like this and can understand why she loves Harods.

What to buy: Anything you could possibly want from a pencil to furniture. They have it all at Harrod's.

• TravelinFoodie's Profile Photo

Harrods: Chanel, Prada, Charcuttiere, Truffles OH MY!!!

by TravelinFoodie Written Feb 26, 2011
    Headed to Harrods from our Hotel

Anything and everything you will ever need in your life can be found in this store. Including the engagement ring Dodi Al Fayed gave Princess Diana prior to her death. We bought some amazing cured meats and cheeses and wine. It was great.

What to buy: Anything you want, my favorite was the pink canopy bed for my cat. That was really cool

What to pay: Spanish meats, cheeses and wine at the Charcuttier shop set us back about $200 but well freaking worth it.

• Gay and Lesbian

• Bothwell's Profile Photo

Harrods: Harrods - More Pricey than DFS

by Bothwell Written Jan 24, 2011

We did quite a bit of shopping during our recent trip to Europe. We found the signature items in Harrods a bit more pricey compared to Lafayette in Paris. Some items like the perfumeries and luxury watches are likewise more expensive here compared to LHR Duty Free Shop.

What to buy: My wife purchased a luxury watch in a shop named Ernest Jones along Bond Street. It is at least GBP1,200.00 less expensive than Harrods' price for the exact same model.

What to pay: If you're residing outside EU country, you're entitled to a tax rebate of around 12% (net of commission) for any purchase above GBP250.00.

• malianrob's Profile Photo

by malianrob Updated Jan 13, 2011

I didnt shop here but I did visit this famous place. From the outside you cant miss this place. It is huge and at night it is lit up very bright. The store is owned by Mohamed Al-Fayed since 1983. The store occupies a 5 acres site and has over one million square feet of selling space in over 330 departments. Harrods was known for its high quality products and excellent personalized service but I hear that has changed much. To me it was just another department store.

• Harrods: Harrods

by Riaiff Written Jan 2, 2011

A fantastic shop that sells quality products. I could not stop staring at the beautiful crystal, crockery & cutlery that they were selling. You just feel special when you walk around in this shop.

What to buy: I only bought some chocolates to bring back home for my daughter

What to pay: lots

• GrantBoone's Profile Photo

Harrods: Maybe the most famous shop in London

by GrantBoone Written Nov 6, 2010

Harrods , in the very posh Knightsbridge are is now owned by the Qatari royal family. It used to have a strict dress code on entry to the store but seems to be a bit more relaxed these days , even I got in!

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Harrods: Knightsbridge's Finest

by spidermiss Updated Sep 7, 2010

Harrods

The most famous store in London with approximately 300 Departments specialising in designer and expensive goods and gourmet food. I particularly love the Food Hall for its selection of produce and groceries. The confectionery hall is worth visiting for the large selection of chocolates!

What to buy: Belgian chocolates!

• mirchica's Profile Photo

by mirchica Written Jul 4, 2010

Harrods is a luxury store where you can really fond everything – from wine to chocolates, from clothes to accessories and shoes, from art and design to household goods. The difference from the other stores is that here everything is luxury and expensive.

• Harrods: Harrods as a rainy day destination

by 44Judith Updated Jun 2, 2010

When I moved to London with my English husband, I needed to feel at home in this 68 square mile city, so I asked to be dropped off at Harrods. I got a floor plan and spent the day walking the most famous department store I know. I fell in love. As the years passed I witnessed the building of the Egyptian staircase. Do not miss this one. Go to the back of the store on the ground floor and travel up. If you have a strong imagination you might even think you are in Egypt. Back on the ground floor there are five food courts (including the most fabulous bakery) where you can get a cheese filled large warm pretzel and some of the most amazing pastries. Find a drink to go and walk across the street for a couple of blocks and make a picnic at the Hyde Park Serpentine River. Bring pieces of bread to feed the swans and other birds. Back at the store, go to the lower level where the little grocery store is hiding and see more delicacies from all over the world. Of course there is the famous Harrods souvenir room where, for 15 pounds you can get a great shiny bag with Harrods name on it in either their traditional green or shiny black. I carry mine everywhere. Remember there are over 25 restaurants throughout the store. Be sure to walk through the electronic room. Their televisions have more pixels than any I have ever seen. The flowers seem to reach out to you. Walk through the most amazing furniture, antique and otherwise. The sales staff will not bother you if you just want to look. Right behind Harrods is a French restaurant called Cafe Rouge. Have a great salad and if it is a nice day, sit outside to eat if Harrods prices intimidate you. Don't forget to see if the shrine to Princess Diana is still there with the enormous diamond imbedded in lucite sitting on some kind of shrine. I do not know if the present owners have left it, but worthwhile to look. Cut through the jewelry rooms and spot the 2,000 pound cell phones encrusted with shiny stones. Have fun, but a word to the wise, do not wear a back pack to the store. The guards might go through them with a fine tooth comb, and they tend to knock over breakables, which you will have to then purchase.

What to buy: Try the fresh fruit and veg room. There are items you may have never seen before and might like to try. The cheese room smells so wonderful and you can purchase a slice of something with a crusty roll and have a great cappucchino right at the end of the counter. My mouth is watering while I write this. Don't miss the fresh baked cookies and chocolates from around the world in the next room.

What to pay: The store carries top of the line items, so everything will appear expensive if you are not used to shopping for Gucci, etc. Still fun to look.

Instant Answers: London