London Dungeon, London

• sparkieplug24's Profile Photo

London dungeons

by sparkieplug24 Written Dec 17, 2013

It was almost halloween

London Dungeons is a fun way to find out some of Londons history. However this is not meant to be an accurate account of its History. Its just a bit of fun with history thrown in. There are some scary bits and their is a couple of rides. We loved it and would go again, we prebooked our tickets so were able to fast track into the dungeons however when we there there was no queue but next day it was very long.

If your planning on doing the dungeons, london eye, Aquarium and madam tussauds either all of them or just one or two of them its cheaper to pre book the tickets online and even cheaper if you buy a combi ticket.

• Pomocub's Profile Photo

Go in if you dare!

by Pomocub Written Oct 4, 2012

The London Dungeons is a 90 minute tour of London's history, mostly the dark history such as The Plague, The fire of London, Jack the ripper and Sweeney Todd although I believe the tour does change slightly each year. You are guided round the tour by a spooky actor and you will meet other spooky characters along the way who will teach you little bits of history.

The Dungeons is imensely popular so it is best to go early in the morning when it just opens. I have been stood in a queue for over an hour to get in, in the past.

It is also much cheaper to purchase the tickets in advance online rather than paying at the door and if you do buy online then generally you can get in quicker as during busy periods they sometimes split the queues up so people who have already pre-bought tickets queue seperately from the others.

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

The London Dungeon

by spidermiss Written May 20, 2011

I visited the London Dungeon in 2001. I would imagine the attraction has changed over the years. When I went I experienced Jack The Ripper, Judgement Day, The great Fire of London and, finally, An Orgy of Grisly Entertainment.

Please look on the website for further information.

• 10110's Profile Photo

by 10110 Updated Apr 4, 2011

London Dungeon

The London Dugeon is a as museum of horror from history, recalling events of atrocities from the past. You can journey back to the darker side of European history.
    The museum has a wide variety of attractions.

• GrantBoone's Profile Photo

London dungeon

by GrantBoone Written Nov 9, 2010

A much better alternative than the Madame Toussaud museum .Although not for those easily scared!Amid the dark, dank festering maze that is the dungeon are dark, dank vaults displaying gruesome waxworks of medieval torture, plague, murder and execution. You will also be judged in the mock courtroom, and chased by Jack the Ripper.

• oRi_5's Profile Photo

London Dungeons

by oRi_5 Written Jul 20, 2009

My husband and me visited the Dungeons towards the end of our trip so we were quite tired already and our feet ached. Although we had bought our tickets beforehand as part of a package (with Madame Tussaud and London Eye - cheaper on the net) we still had to wait in line - which took about 30-45mins. Once inside we waited a bit more in a dark room till everyone got their picture taken (trying to kill each other - which was quite cool....we bought it)....and then moved into another dark room where we had to wait a bit more....

Once it actually got started we got more into it. You basically move from room to room where one of the staff will be dressed up and relates once macabre story after another - desperately trying to scare everyone obviously.

Although the settings where very good, and the stories very interesting and we enjoyed ourselves, I couldn't help but think after our visit that it is actually a bit sad that the experience in the London Dungeons almost turned into an amusing entertainment - where one leaves laughing rather than perhaps thinking about the horrible things that happened in the past.

Perhaps they do it so as not to impress the kids too much or they prefer giving people frights and making sure they go out smiling...however it didn't seem the right attitude.

All in all however, it's a great visit and I do recommend it...not if you're tired though as you'll be standing for a long time with nowhere to sit or rest (or any toilet breaks).

There are also 2 fun rides included one in the water and another 'drop' at the end. However, when we got to the drop we were informed that there was a fault and it was getting fixed so we had to miss that.

(P.S. Flash photography & video is not allowed because of the 'actors'....and its too dark to take anything without a flash anyway).

• jusdenise93's Profile Photo

Prepare to not be scared

by jusdenise93 Updated Jul 18, 2009
    I'm selling them...

Typical as it doesn't really have anything that can make you jump. ( I prefer SCREAM of Madama Tussauds).

It's worth the experience if you have kids, it had a very informative presentation about Jack the Ripper.

• Marina_tom's Profile Photo

by Marina_tom Written May 25, 2009

One hour walk through the dark history of London..Need to say that the actors (guides) are great, effects are also great to see, but I expected more of the place. After some times it gets boring a bit..The highlight of the place is a "drop" ride at the end and it is total fun! Ticket for London Dungeon is 20 Pounds.

• School Holidays

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

How to cure a 3-year old of a scary obsession

by sourbugger Written Mar 14, 2008

I must admit that even I can be wrong sometimes. I had previously placed a tip on the London Dungeons in the ‘Tourist trap’ section after a visit a few years back. I will give Merlin entertainments, the owners, their due. It is still expensive for what it is, but they have significantly improved the 90-minute ‘visitor experience’ at this flagship location. The whole ‘your’ take about an hour and a half through various mock-ups of London’s past. The jails, jack the ripper and Sweeney Todd are all there among all piles of Halloween tat.

The scenes are supplemented with a number of actors who I must admit do a terrific job, considering the fact that they must deliver their lines every five minutes. We were amongst the first group in the day we visited, and this must have helped. Most lines are delivered in a kind of smutty ‘Carry-on film’ meets B-movie screamer way. Screaming wenchs jump out from behind doors and mad axe-men appear from nowhere all the time. I was especially impressed with the smuttiness of one actress at the ‘mock trial’ who after her section had finished invited me (for I was pushing a pram and nearing steps) to ‘Come up my back passage if you like sir, it’s a bit tight, but I’m sure you’ll manage’. I was giggling at her saucy line, but I don’t think any of the other nationalities in the group of 30 or so understood a word of her double- entendre.

The experience now ends with a ‘trauma tower’ that is supposed to simulate a hanging. This was somewhat tame. It’s seems a pity that they couldn’t incorporate a real noose into the ride and a black hood for added effect.

If you can stomach the prices, then enjoy it as a piece of kitsch theatre, or just use it as we did to scare the bejesus out of our three-year-old. That will be last time that he says to use “I like scary stuff”. Not any more you don’t.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 8, 2008

Dugeon entrance

Be prepared to be terriffed and spooked as you enter the London Dungeon which displays some of Britain's most gruesome blood thirsty events.

You'll encounter Druids performing a human sacrafic at Stonehenge, a room full of people who die with agony from the plague, and other displays of torture, witchcraft and murder...

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Updated May 8, 2007

More a childrens sight but there might be those of you interested in medieval torture and the like. I have never been to the one in London (and get there early to avoid the queues you see in this picture!) but the same people own the York Dungeon which I've been to. What you get is a selection of medieval and other torture chambers and a lot of it is based on torture which actually happened. I remember one in York which included a rat in a cage on the victim's chest. The rat could of course only get out through digging its way through the man...who comes up with things like that???

• jne7299318's Profile Photo

EEEW....That's Disgusting

by jne7299318 Written Apr 11, 2007

I don't know how i found out about this London Dungeon, I probably saw it in passing and decided to check it out. Well, was I in for a surprise. The London Dungeon is one of those walk thru theaters that's based on a theme...in this case 1600 London. Actors and actresses dress up in period costumes, enact scenes based on life in medieval London and as current as jack the Ripper days, and scare you or gross you out.

Actually, I found the enactments, both live and simulated, to be cool! Fasinating, and informative, I learned alot about the boubonic plague, and the tortue techniques used during medieval times in London. upon my return to the states and work I was able to gross my students out with descriptions of the death by embowellment, or being eaten by rats while infected with Boubonic plague

• London's Delectably Wicked History

by Mariajoy Updated May 31, 2006

London dungeons with not so scary snowmen!

Not really amongst my personal favourites of things to do in London but my boys LOVED this place when they were 11 and 8. Kids will take sheer delight in the screams, blood and guts stinky smells and downright wickedness of London's heinous past - all disgustingly and horrifically recreated here in full gory Technicolour for their visual and aural delectation!

Situated in Tooley Street just under London Bridge Station - the queues can be really long in summer and the pavement outside the entrance gets quite crowded and chaotic. Once inside you will be treated to scenes of horror from the plague, torture and beheadings to name a few and dungeon guides (actors) will scare the living daylights out of you if you dare to ask them anything (but it's all very tongue in cheek so don't take them seriously!).
    A visit here now includes the "Boat ride to Hell" which is a new treat that wasn't available last time I came.
    Yes... definitely a fun afternoon for the kids... but expect sleepless nights later!

Tickets are £15.50 for adults.
    Have a look at the website for more info!

• LouiseTopp's Profile Photo

Screams, heart failer and live rats in the dark!

by LouiseTopp Updated Mar 9, 2006
    Scream, if you want to go faster!

The London Dungeon is a must if you like to be SCARED to death for the fun of it. Situated up from another museum, The Clink which is about prison cells & English justice, the museum is opposite a hospital; just as well as it can cater for people with heart attacks!

The queues can be very long, so it's wise to book in advance. Outside is flame torches, & on the wall is a gargoyle near a sign which says 'Enter at your peril'.

Warning: If you are going to this attraction, don?t read the report below.

It?s dark when you go in, so you have to have good vision, lest you bump into the headless woman; then there?s the ghastly stink. It?s quite real the odour & smells like wood smoke, there?s also ungodly shrieks in the gloom. You have your photo taken while standing at the stocks holding an axe, then move through dark streets onto the Black Death Section. Here they have live rats running around & grisly moans & groans, plus an infected man who sneezes water at you (or is it?). Move onto the Great Fire of London where there?s more hideous screaming, & the noise of roaring fire and rats. The Jack the Ripper section is good, there?s a commentary about the murders & the body of Elizabeth Stride (known as Long Liz) to trip up over; mind you don?t slip on her innards which are spread out all over the path.

There?s a boat ride which should relax you, EXCEPT THAT IT DOESN?T! Four people can sit to a boat, & there?s a seatbelt you must put on as it can get a bit bumpy; you might even fall out! It?s pitch dark as you go off into a tunnel & up a hill, then you shoot back down it at an ungodly speed into water. A light flashes in your eyes & there are exhibitions of torture & punishment, then the ride finishes. You can get out onto a quay, if you?re still in a fit state that is. By the way I forgot to state ?THERE?S NO SEAT BELTS!

There?s a shop where you can get candles, eyeballs, playing cards & many other spooky things. The caf? is next door to the toilets, they say the toilets are the most used cubicles in London.

• Study Abroad

• Ericasmurf99's Profile Photo

by Ericasmurf99 Written Feb 20, 2006

At the London Dungeon

I thought the London Dungeon was way over-rated. They play it up like it is going to be really scary...and it is not. Wasn't even that informative either...and was expensive.

Save your money and time from this place.

Instant Answers: London

Comments

Hotels Near London Dungeon
1570 Opinions