Madame Tussauds and Planetarium, London

making a waxwork of hand
  • solopes's Profile Photo

Easy fun

by solopes Updated Sep 30, 2014

With kids, it had to be seen, but we found nothing new in the known quality of those wax figures reproducing famous persons. And everybody taking pictures with one of their idols.

The less noticed point is the imagination of some common figures that allow a slightly different amusement.

Like that gentleman interested in a child’s Portuguese story, or the lady that felt asleep in the middle of it.

Did the old guy understand Portuguese? Who was the first to sleep? London - United Kingdom

• Worth it with National Rail's 2 for 1

by jimmysheva Written Apr 21, 2014

It's expensive but if you're a party of 2 and have travel cards from National Rail, you can get 2 for 1 tickets which makes it worthwhile. While it's overpriced, it's not overrated. It's a lot of fun in there. Holiday is supposed to be fun so don't be bogged down by art museums and history and all educational stuff.

• sparkieplug24's Profile Photo

madam tussauds

by sparkieplug24 Written Dec 17, 2013

Great place to visit to see all the waxworks of famous people. There is the london cab ride as well and chamber of horrors and scream (age 12+) there is also the marvel experience with its 4d cinema experience. You can even make your own waxwork of your hand

The queues for madam tussauds can be long and it can be very busy inside paticularly in the first room. I advise buying your tickets in advance for this. you can buy a combi ticket for other london attactions.

making a waxwork of hand

• GrantBoone's Profile Photo

MADAME TUSSAUDS

by GrantBoone Updated Oct 12, 2012

Elliots 7th birthday treat !

Situated on the corner of Baker Street and Marylebone Rd , Madame Tussaud is one of Londons most visited attractions. Always busy , its a good idea to book tickets in advance. This year ( 2012 ) they have a Marvel Super Heroes exhibition with 4d movie .( Great for 7 year olds!!)

Elliot not  impressed with our Prime Minister!

• davidjo's Profile Photo

IS IT WORTH IT?

by davidjo Written Apr 5, 2012

By the time you obtain the expensive tickets which are £30 and £25 for adult and children respectively and queue for ages to get in, i think it is way overpriced for what you see. If you book on line in advance there is around £3 discount---wow, what a deal. Give this a miss, particularly if you are a family of four. Think what else you can do with your £100!

• egonwegh's Profile Photo

Visit Madam Tussaud's, wax...

by egonwegh Updated Aug 4, 2011

Visit Madam Tussaud's, wax figures
    Lifelike statues of the famous and infamous. For those of you who do not immediately recognise her: the picture shows the famous TV-host and TV-celebrity Dame Edna Everage

London, Madam Tussaud's

• akosilei's Profile Photo

Party with the Stars

by akosilei Written Apr 10, 2011

It took us almost 3 hours waiting in line to get inside Madame Tussauds. A lot of visitors both local and foreign proves to be a fan of this great wax art and I could say, the long line and waiting was worth it. Really amazing piece of art! So if you plan to visit Madame Tussauds wax museum, buy your tickets in advance and arrive there early. Don't forget your camera :)

My date for tonight ... Mr. Johnny Depp :)

• kris-t's Profile Photo

London Planetarium

by kris-t Updated Apr 4, 2011

The London Planetarium is adjacent to Madame Tussaud's, inside you are invited to discover the basics of astronomy under its green copper dome! With a wax work of Albert Einstein, hands-on stations, and the show itself 'Planetary Quest', the planetarium is not to be missed. The show makes you look at outerspace in a whole new light !

Entrance Fees
    Adult: BP 21.99
    Child: BP 17.99

make haste! Madame Tussaud's museum (the owner) took a decision (feb 2006) to liquidate it

• Study Abroad

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Madame Toussaud

by mvtouring Written Jul 18, 2010

A place that I really wanted to visit in London, but I was rather dissapointed the last time I visited in 2008. They are allowing too many people in at once, so you cannot get to any of the displays, plus I was not that impressed with the displays on hand. Am I becoming too full of nonsence I am asking myself?

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

Madame Tussauds

by Britannia2 Written Apr 6, 2010

In 1835, Madame Tussauds’ exhibition established a permanent base in London as the Baker Street Bazaar - visitors paid ‘sixpence’ for the chance to meet the biggest names of the day. The attraction moved to its present site in Marylebone Road come 1884.
    Madame Tussuad's is open at 9:30am, with last admission at 5:30pm, every day of the year. From 9am to 6pm at weekends and during UK school holidays, except Christmas Day.
    Much improved in recent years - the ropes and barriers are gone and you can get close to the wax exhibits. As always with Madame Tussuad's across the world visitors from overseas will not be familiar with every wax exhibit - for example if you are not English you may not recognise some of the sports stars. However the Royal Family are there as are many A list international stars and something for everyone.
    Buy tickets in advance to avoid queues and allow 2 hours for a visit. There is good disabled access and a Cafe Nero for refreshments.

Madame Tussauds

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Wax Museum

by mindcrime Updated Mar 22, 2010

For me it’s just a tourist trap, if it is your first time in London don’t miss some top class museums (for free!) while this overcrowded wax museum asks for 25 pounds per person!!! I visited it on my 7th visit in London because some others of our group wanted to. The truth is that most of them had good time so maybe it’s just not my cup of tea. The wax figures are well reconsctructed but I didn’t like the installation, due to this really badly organized museum you will find yourself wondering with hordes of tourists pushing you while trying to catch a good spot for a pic. As you can understand everyone is in hurry here and you will hear from every possible corner screams like “I want a pic with Beckam, I want a pic with Angelina, look! I want one with the queen!).

After taking a dozen of photos of every famous people you may think of (it’s the only place you can see Beatles, Picasso, Bob Marley, Obama, Angelina Jolie and so many others at the same building so have plenty of space at your memory card) you will go the Scary Room. It’s just a dark passage where some people come out of nowhere screaming at you (they don’t touch you though). Some people started to scream but it was very boring for me. You may ask to skip it if you don’t like this kind of things anyway (but don’t go inside, it’s difficult to return back)

At the end you take a small train called Spirit of London Taxi ride. It’s like being in a theme park and you see the history of London. Nice touch for the end, the kids will like it for sure. The gift shop is expensive but has a big variety for souvenirs.

There are really long lines at the entrance (you may wait 1 to 3 hours!!) so book in advance for the premium entrance (we didn’t pay more, actually we payed 1,5 pound less!)

David Beckam & Victoria famous film figures bob marley Nicole Kidman Madame Tussauds' building

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo

The things tourists do

by TheLongTone Updated Feb 5, 2010

Well. for starters, I believe that the Planetarium, the only worthwhile part of this complex, is toast. So cross THAT off the list.

I recall being taken to Madame Tussauds as a child: the only thing that made any impression on me was the dummy of an attendant they then had on one of the stairs. Creepy., had me fooled for a while. The rest was just boring. I know they've jazzed it up with animatronics, but really....... and the dummies aren't that lifelike. They used to have a poster advertisement on the Underground featuring photos of dozens of the figures and you couldn't recognise half of them. The rest were only recognisable because of the hats they were wearing.

This is curious because they take great pains with the figures. I know, because I've been done. Not, I hasten to add, because I'm a celeb (whatever the sneck that means). Rather a friend of mine was working as a designer for them and thought that my face would fit for an 'extra' in some animatronic fantasia.

I was duly placed on a rotating chair, photographed from all angles, had measurements taken, casts taken of my teeth (Did the Queen have to do this?) and paid a fair days wage.

I've never seen the figure but I understand it has a full beard and set of whiskers.......

Still, some folks do seem to like it.

If queing's your bag, this is not to be missed.

• Theme Park Trips

• Turska's Profile Photo

Huge disapointment to me

by Turska Written Nov 19, 2009

Many of my friends ahd told,that we shouldn´t visit here-it sounds more fun than it is.But I didin´t listen them.And I wanted to "meet Sting".I´ve been "huge"fan of his,since I was 8! ( Yes,I do listen also other kind of music than metal and gothic ;D )
    So we went.I bought the tickets from the net before we went,and they were much cheaper than bought at the museum.

Why I was I disapointed?The place was so much smaller than I thought,there was allmost none of any intresting people I had waited-and they even had taken Sting away!!!!

So for me there was nothing special.I could see royals close,and many actors I have no idea who they are and so on.My husband liked it little more,because he does watch movies.I don´t.Or maybe sometimes,but there was no-one interesting at the time.
    But-now I have seen it,and don´t need to think should I have seen it..

Some of them is my husband.. Diana and William Is this Samuel L.Jackson?I��m not sure.. I don��t remember the name :D This one I know!But I think you know also!

• MM212's Profile Photo

The London Planetarium & Madame Tussauds

by MM212 Updated Oct 12, 2009

One of the oddest looking structures in London, this bulbous green dome was once known as the London Planetarium. It opened in 1958 and presented astronomical shows to its audiences for decades. Although it was a separate venue, it was owned by the neighbouring Madame Tussauds wax museum. However, in 2006 the London Planetarium was taken over by the wax museum and renamed the Star Dome, accessible only through the museum. Madame Tussauds itself is the original wax museum that in recent decades opened branches globally. Prior to that, visiting the museum was one of the exciting things to do when visiting London, but nowadays, the experience is dampened by the fact that many other cities, from New York City to Shanghai, have their own Madame Tussauds. Still, it is worth stopping by the museum, particularly those who may be travelling with children, to see the life size replicas of world famous characters.

The London Planetarium Madame Tussauds

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Madame Tussauds Wax Museum

by apbeaches Updated Oct 12, 2009

Marie Tussaud, born Anna Maria Grosholtz (1761–1850) was born in Strasbourg, France. Tussaud created her first wax figure, of Voltaire, in 1777. In her memoirs she claims that she would search through corpses to find the decapitated heads of executed citizens, from which she would make death masks. In 1802, she went to London. As a result of the Franco-British war, she was unable to return to France, so she traveled throughout Great Britain and Ireland exhibiting her wax collection. For a time, it was displayed at the Lyceum Theatre and then she settled down in Baker Street, London, and opened a museum. One of the main attractions of her museum was the Chamber of Horrors. This part of the exhibition included victims of the French Revolution and newly created figures of murderers and other criminals. The name is often credited to a contributor to Punch in 1845, but Marie appears to have originated it herself, using it in advertising as early as 1843. Other famous people were added to the exhibition, including Horatio Nelson, and Sir Walter Scott. Some of the sculptures done by Marie Tussaud herself still exist. The gallery originally contained some 400 different figures, but fire damage in 1925, coupled with German bombs in 1941, has rendered most of these older models defunct. The casts themselves have survived and be seen in the museum’s history exhibit. The oldest figure on display is that of Madame du Barry. Other ancient faces from the time of Tussaud include Robespierre, George III and Benjamin Franklin. In 1842, she made a self portrait which is now on display at the entrance of her museum. She died in her sleep on 15 April 1850.

Madame Tussaud's wax museum has now grown to become a major tourist attraction in London, incorporating the London Planetarium in its west wing. Today's wax figures at Tussauds include historical and royal figures, film stars, sports stars and famous murderers. I was particularly impressed with the demonstration area that presented how the wax figures were made.

Royal Family in Wax